|Wellington County GenWeb|
b. "Yarrow Fews," Selkirkshire, Scot., and came to Canada in 1831. He was a
weaver by trade, in Scot. He took up a farm about one mile outside of Galt
which he cleared and where he died. He was a Presbyterian and a Conservative.
He m. first Jennie Scott, of the Scotts of Harden, and later Agnes Willison.
Issue: James (d.), Walter (d.), Puslinch Tp. Second Issue: William (d, 1905),
on the homestead, and Jane (d. unm.).
James was b. at "Yarrow Fews," Selkirkshire, Scot., 1809; d. 1893. He was a weaver by trade, and was friend and crony of Hogg, the "Ettrick Shepherd." He was 21 years old when he came to Canada by way of Quebec and worked with his father in the bush until he m., when he started to work for Hon. Wm. Dickson in Galt, who owned all of the townships of North and South Dumfries (12 miles square). After working for Mr. Dickson about five years he purchased a farm about 2 1/2 miles from Galt, on Roseville road, con. 12, N.D., where he lived until his death. He was a Presbyterian and a Reformer. He m. Ann Matheson, of North Dumfries. Issue: Walter Scott; Alexander (d. 11); James (d. Minto Tp); Dr. William (d.), who was a physician for 30 years in Guelph; Alexander, on the homestead in North Dumfries; Isabella, m. William Marshall, set. Clifford; Jean (d.), m. R. R. Dalgleish, dentist in Winnipeg; Agnes, m. Geo. McEwen, engineer, Raymond factory, Guelph, and Annie, unm. on the homestead.
Walter Scott, b. 1834, in Galt, learned the carpenters' trade there. In 1858 he came to the Paisley Block in Guelph, where he had a carpenter's shop on lot 8, con. 11, Div. B., and worked there until 1875, when he moved to Guelph to give his family a better chance. He is a Congregationalist and a Reformer, and was License Inspector in the South Riding of Wellington 18 years, until 1904. He m. Margaret, (d.), May, 1906, dau. of the late James Watson, of Guelph. Issue: James, dentist, in Genneseo, N.Y.; Walter, dentist; Davey, in Regina, Sask.; William A., at home; Margaret, m. John McDonald, Chicago; Janie, m. C. A. Richardson, Toledo, and Annabel, at home. Of these William A. carries on the carpenter's business which his father established on the London road, when he came to Guelph in 1875.
From: Historical Atlas of the County of Wellington, Ontario. Toronto: Historical Atlas Publishing Co., 1906
Copyright © 2004-present These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without my written consent