is a pleasant village of 19th-century buildings and includes a
old large gristmill, now in business as a restaurant. This
community of about 100 is located on the old Highway 6 about seven miles
southeast of the
City of Guelph.
Part of the land on which the village exists was first
settled by George Shatz who built a sawmill in 1843 and a foundry in 1848.
The Hamlet's first store, and a post office which opened in
1851 (and later closed in 1969), was run by John McFarlane, who
apparently named the village after a
place in Scotland. By the 1890's Aberfoyle had become quite a prosperous
community that included a church, a hotel, a general store and a
number of mills.