Wellington County, Ontario GenWeb Project
return


Town of Arthur

THE FOUNDING OF ARTHUR Arthur, named for Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington, was the southern terminus of the Garafraxa "colonization road" to Owen Sound. Settlers arrived in 1840 but the townsite was not officially surveyed until 1846. The establishment of saw and grist mills hastened growth in the community which was also the natural market centre for the area's agricultural production. In 1851 a post office was opened and the first church and school were organized. A weekly newspaper the Enterprise, was established and a Divisional Court met at Arthur. Economic development was further encouraged when, in 1872, a station of the Toronto, Grey and Bruce Railway was opened in the community. That year, Arthur was incorporated as a village.

Visit the Simcoe County GenWeb site
to view their series of plaques




Webspace provided by RootsWeb


2000
Wellington County, Ontario GenWeb . All Rights Reserved.