is located at the northern end of Lake Belwood, on
Highway 19, about twenty five miles north of the
City of Guelph
. The area of Belwood
originated around 1850, and by 1854 several families were conducting
business in the village. George Skeen was an early settler who was
appointed Postmaster and had named the settlement "Skeenville"
Around 1860, the village was surveyed into lots by George Douglas Ferguson, and he then changed the name of the settlement to "Douglas". However, it was not long before the name became changed once again, this time to "Belwood" in 1885.
The first school in Belwood was opened in 1861. The Presbyterians completed the building of their church in 1855; the Methodist congregation completed their church in 1863; and the Congregationalists erected a place of worship in 1868.