The township of Eramosa
is located north of the
City of Guelph
, and has a population of 4,125 (1975). It is essentially a farming area, with
little industry. There are a number of communities within Eramosa, the largest
Village of Rockwood.
From Smith's Canadian Gazetteer 1846
ERAMOSA "A township in the Wellington District; is bounded on the north-east by the township of Erin; on the north-west by Garafraxa; on the south-west by Nichol and Guelph; and on the south-east by Nassagaweya. In Eramosa 28,701 acres are taken up, 7,285 of which are under cultivation. A branch of the Grand River passes through the township. The upper portion of the township, to the bank of the river, is excellent land; below, it is broken and stony. Eramosa is thickly settled, principally by Scotch and Irish, many of whom have fine farms. In the south-east of the township, on a branch of the Speed, there are "Stranger's Mills" and shingle machine, and at the same place a last factory, blacksmith, and a Quaker meeting-house. At "Murphy's Mills," or "Little Falls," there are a saw mill, carding machine, fulling mill and store. At "Cripp's Mills," on the town line between Eramosa and Nassagaweya, a grist and saw mill, and store. Altogether there are six saw mills in the township.
No census has been taken since 1841, when the population amounted to 935. Ratable property in the township, 20,839."