The Town of Fergus
is located thirteen miles north of the
City of Guelph
by the Grand River and has a population of about 6,757 (1995). The Town of
Fergus is home of the
celebrated Fergus Highland Games. Scottish limestone architecture is prevalent
in over 200 19th-century buildings, including the 1877 Foundry Building which
houses the local farmers' market. The area around Fergus was first surveyed
in 1781 prior to the granting of lands to the Six Nations
Indians. Fergus was originally known as Little Falls, but was renamed in
1834 in honour of Adam
Fergusson, co-founder of the community with James Webster.
From Smith's Canadian Gazetteer 1846
FERGUS "A Village in the township of Nichol, situated on the Grand River, thirteen miles from Guelph, was laid out in 1833, by the Hon. A. Ferguson and Mr. Webster, on the road to the government settlement at Owen Sound. The situation is hilly and cold, and the soil in the neighbourhood of the village is poor and stony. Population, 184, who are principally Scotch. Fergus contains a Presbyterian church. Post Office, post three times a-week. Professions and Trades. -- One physician and surgeon, one grist and saw mill, one distillery, one tannery, three stores, one baker, one watchmaker, three shoemakers, one brewery, two blacksmiths, two carpenters, one cabinet maker and turner, one tailor."