The Township of Nichol
is located north of the
City of Guelph
, and has a population of about 3,990 (1995). There are several communities
within Nichol, the largest being the
Town of Fergus.
The Township received its name from Colonel Thomas Clark, an early owner of
the township, to
honour the name of one of his close business associates, Colonel Robert
From Smith's Canadian Gazetteer 1846
NICHOL "A Township in the Wellington District; is bounded on the north-east by the townships of Eramosa and Garafraxa; on the north-west by Peel; on the south-west by Woolwich; and on the south-east by Guelph. In Nichol 20,482 acres are taken up, 5,392 of which are under cultivation. This is a long narrow township, it is well settled, and contains excellent land, the greater part of which is rolling, and timbered with hard wood. The Grand River runs across the north of the township, on which are situated the villages of Fergus and Elora; and a short distance west from the latter village is a Scotch settlement, called "Irvine Settlement." There are two grist and four saw-mills in the township. Population in 1842, 1,019, who are principally from Scotland. Ratable property in the township, £16,479."