Reference: Wm. H. Smith, "Smith's Canadian
Gazetteer, 1846" (Toronto: H. & W. Roswell) (Coles Canadiana Collection)
Before 1788 the Townships of East Gwillimbury, Georgina, King, Markham, Vaughan and
Whitchurch were located in the Montreal District, Province of Quebec.
In 1788 the Montreal District was divided, and the townships became part of the Nassau
The Province of Quebec was divided into Upper Canada
(Ontario) and Lower Canada (Quebec) in 1791.
Counties were established in June 1792. The townships became part of the County of York.
In October 1792 Nassau District became the Home District which included the County of York
and City of Toronto.
Loyalist and Quaker settlers came to the area when John Graves Simcoe opened Yonge Street
In 1826 North Gwillimbury township was created from Georgina.
In 1841 Upper Canada became Canada West.
York County was divided in 1852 creating Peel County to the west and Ontario County to the
Canada West became the Province of Ontario in 1867.
In 1873 Richmond Hill was incorporated as a town.
Newmarket was incorporated as a town in 1880.
In 1888 Aurora was incorporated as a town.
In 1970 Georgina and North Gwillimbury townships were reunited as the Town of Georgina.
Whitchurch Township and Stouffville were amalgamated into the Town of
Whitchurch-Stouffville. The towns of Aurora, Newmarket and Richmond Hill were expanded to
include parts of the surrounding townships.
York County was divided into the The Regional Municipality of York and Metropolitan
Toronto on 1st January 1971.