Mountain Evangelical Cemetery
An invitation was extended to all to attend the
dedication of the historical marker.
April 28, 2001 at 10 AM
To all who pause in this place,
may this marker make effective
the voice of the memorial. May it remind them
of the nobility of life well lived...
with Mary O'Donnell
Mary O'Donnell had a special interest in
old cemeteries. Several years ago she proposed to Beaver Chapter DAR
that we adopt Cooper Mountain Cemetery on SW Gassner Rd as our special
cemetery has quite a history.
land on which it is located was owned by Perry Cooper through a
Donation Land Claim in 1853. Mr. Cooper donated one acre for the
Cooper Mountain Cemetery officially
became a cemetery in 1899 when Moses and Martha Dillaboy bought the
land. The earliest burial was in 1899. Many of the early residents of
the area are buried there.
upkeep of the cemetery had over the years been quite a challenge with
all the blackberries, brush and broken grave stones. The United Brethren Church, a one
room church, was located on the property, but it
deteriorated so much that it had to be torn down.
With the encouragement of Mr. Howard
Grabhorn, the Cemetery Association President,
Beaver Chapter members have been there in the fall and spring to clean,
rake, and help keep it beautiful.
Chapter DAR applied to the NSDAR Historian General in Washington, DC;
for approval to mark the cemetery with a historical plaque. Approval
was granted based upon the documentation provided. A chapter garage
sale was held to earn the money to buy the plaque. On the 28th of April
2001 the dedication ceremony was held.
We are aware that nothing is really
ended until it is forgotten. Whatever is kept in memory still endures.
Therefore, we Beaver Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution,
chose to dedicate this marker in grateful recognition of the
significance of this site. Note:
Cooper Mountain Evangelical Cemetery is only a block away from the
Cooper Mountain Catholic Cemetery on SW Kemmer Rd.
Updated by LLh on 24 Nov 2013