Bend Chapter NSDAR
Daughters of the American Revolution
Our Chapter History
Bend Chapter, NSDAR, was established on March 25, 1942, at a dinner meeting in the Pine Tavern. In May 1942, the chapter was officially named Bend Chapter. Formed from the Deschutes Chapter of Redmond, Oregon, which was organized in 1919, Lorraine Gard Ericksen, Organizing Regent, was elected Bend Chapter's first regent.
As our country was at war, our chapter provided support to the ongoing WWII effort by giving blood and money. In 1945-46, the women of Bend Chapter gave 2042 hours of service to the American Red Cross. They donated clothing to Russian relief, and each member entertained service men in her home during the year. We still work to support our troops overseas and help those veterans who have become incapacitated with our donations to veterans hospitals.
The Activities section of this website provides much information regarding what we have been doing for the past decade. Additionally, wanting to officially recognize local adults who have given generously of their time and talents, Bend Chapter presented Bob Slawson with the DAR Community Service Award for his outstanding service to the Bend area community. Bend Chapter also presented James Gunn with NSDAR's highest award, the DAR Medal of Honor, for his tireless work with veterans, especially those who are homeless.
Our growing membership looks forward to continued contributions to our area- wide community, in the pursuit of patriotism, education, and historic preservation.
This historic DAR Marker, which commemorates Oregon's first 100 years, is located in Drake Park in downtown Bend, on the Deschutes River. It is embedded in a slab of native lava rock and marks the site of an Oregon Historic Landmark. This site was the location of a one room log cabin which was first a shelter for travelers, later the home of Bend's first school, and the location of Bend's first church service. Finally, in March of 1903, the first issue of The Bulletin, our local newspaper, was printed here.
The DAR Insignia is the property of, and is copyrighted by, the National
Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.