Lobster Church of Christ
Lobster community, in extreme southwest corner of county.
No record of dates of organization, members, or registry.
Met in school house of Dist. No. 40 (Lane Co., No. 114)
The Lobster Church – J. E. DAVIS, now of the faculty of Oregon State
College is authority for the statement that George HENDRYX is founder and
pastor of a neighborhood church in the Lobster community, called the Church
County records show that the church recently purchased the building formerly used by the Lobster high school, which was vacated following consolidation with Alsea high school.
Mr. J. E. DAVIS, now of the faculty of Oregon State College, is authority for the statement that Mr. George HENDRYX is founder and pastor of a neighborhood church in the Lobster community, called the Church of Christ. Since this is in the extreme south-west corner of the county, about forty miles from the county seat, and not adjacent to any regular transportation, a blank was sent to Mr. HENDRYX with a two page letter of explanation and instructions, asking that he fill out the blanks and return.
The attached sheet (Form 20 HR) is a copy of the information received.
County Records show that the church recently purchased the building
formerly used by the Lobster high school, which was vacated following consolidation
with Alsea high school.
Dated 7 June 1940.
7 June 1940 Mark PHINNEY
( Worker’s full name)
1. County: Benton City or town: Lobster Community .
2. Name of church: Lobster Street address: In extreme south-west corner of Benton Co..
3. Denomination: Church of Christ (?) Date organized:
4. Date of lapse, if now defunct: .
5. Information as to previous buildings: Met in schoolhouse of District No. 40 (Lane Co., No. 114)
6. Date present building dedicated or consecrated: Rebuilt:
7. Architecture, bells, inscriptions, special features of building: One room auditorium
8. First settled clergyman: none Tenure:
Educational background: .
9. Minute books: Just a book keeping account of weekly contributions and disbursements..
10. Register books of baptisms, confirmations, marriages, members, deaths: None
11. Record books of Sunday School or other organization: (See line 17)
12. Financial records, if separate: (See line 9)
13. Unpublished historical sketches: (give author, title, date when written, and note if written in one of
the record books: None
14. Published histories or historical sketches or directories, etc.: (give author, title, place and date of
15. Other records, miscellaneous manuscript material, etc. :
16. Indicate by check condition of records: Excellent ( ) Good ( ) Poor ( ) Very poor ( )
17. Other information, particularly as to the origins, history, and previous names of the church:
“We try to restore the New Testament church in its entirety and purity, and have no organization, societies, or innovations besides those mentioned and applied in the New Testament itself.”
Return to Historical Records Index
Return to Benton County GenWeb Page