Belle Passi (Beautiful Place of Peace) was the name given by Reverend Neil
Johnson to the small community located on Pacific Highway about one mile south of Woodburn,
Oregon. There, he and his
wife bought a squatter’s claim. Soon
after, in 1851, he organized the town where they would raise their
twelve children. He named Belle Passi
after an Italian community he had read about in a theology book. Reverend Johnson started the Cumberland
Presbyterian Church that same year. Services
were held in a log schoolhouse that was replaced by a new church in
1857. The Oregon Presbyterian Church was
founded in Belle Passi.
The first Post Office
was established in the area by 1870. By
the late 1800s the neighboring town of Woodburn
had grown to be the
largest community in the area and, eventually, retained the local Post
Office. Reverend Johnson died at the age
of 87. He and his family are buried in the
cemetery behind the old log schoolhouse.
The Belle Passi Chapter DAR was organized on February 24, 1934. The Organizing Regent was Mrs. W.
On February 24, 1942, the Belle Passi Chapter of the Daughters of
the American Revolution placed an historical marker on the site of the
Belle Passi Community.
The rock with the DAR
marker was relocated to the
and rededicated on February
The Belle Passi Chapter
serves members in the communities of Woodburn, Canby, Aurora, Hubbard,
The Belle Passi Chapter meets on the first Friday of every
month, September through May from 10:00 am - 12 Noon. Meeting locations
vary. Please contact our Chapter
Regent for information if you are interested in attending a chapter
content contained herein does not necessarily represent the position of
the NSDAR. Hyperlinks to other sites are not the responsibility of the
NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.
Page Last Updated: 06/19/2017
Please contact the webmaster with any