Belle Passi Chapter

Woodburn, Oregon

Daughters of the American Revolution

 

DAR Marker 

Belle Passi (Beautiful Place of Peace) was the name given by Reverend Neil Johnson to the small community located on Pacific Highway about one mile south of Woodburn, Oregon. There, he and his wife bought a squatter’s claim.  Soon after, in 1851, he organized the town where they would raise their twelve children.  He named Belle Passi after an Italian community he had read about in a theology book.  Reverend Johnson started the Cumberland Presbyterian Church that same year.  Services were held in a log schoolhouse that was replaced by a new church in 1857. The Oregon Presbyterian Church was founded in Belle Passi.

The first Post Office was established in the area by 1870.  By the late 1800s the neighboring town of Woodburn had grown to be the largest community in the area and, eventually, retained the local Post Office.  Reverend Johnson died at the age of 87.  He and his family are buried in the cemetery behind the old log schoolhouse.  

The Belle Passi Chapter was organized on February 24, 1934. The Organizing Regent was Mrs. W. J. Wilson.

On February 24, 1942, the Belle Passi Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution placed an historical marker on the site of the Belle Passi Community.  

The rock with the DAR marker was relocated to the Belle Passi Cemetery and rededicated on February 16, 2002. 

The Belle Passi Chapter serves members in the communities of Woodburn, Canby, Aurora, Hubbard, and Wilsonville.

Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.

Page Last Updated 02/18/2014

Please contact the Webmaster with any questions