Crater Lake NSDAR
Organization - Crater Lake Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution, the first in Southern Oregon, was organized November 24, 1919, at the home of its organizing regent, Mrs. Bert Anderson, at 906 West Main Street in Medford. Also present was State Regent, Mrs. Wilkins. The first regent's pin to this day is handed down to each succeeding chapter regent.
The meetings began with America being sung, followed by The Lord's Prayer. Following the opening, the members participated in a reading, a solo, a speaker, more music, and then ended with delicious refreshments.
Guests and speakers were often members of early pioneer families in the Rogue Valley such as Colvig, Applegate, Colver, and Touvelle, whose families came across the plains in covered wagons from Missouri.
History - The chapter over the years has financed and placed markers at historical sites around the Rogue Valley.
The chapter assisted with a census of all cemeteries in Jackson County.
The chapter contributed money for the Oregon Box in Constitution Hall at National Society of Daughters of American Revolution in Washington, D.C. The chapter bought a chair in the Hall in honor of the organizing regent, Mrs. Anderson. Funds were also sent to assist paying the mortgage on the Hall, to help Tamassee School, and to help purchase an Oregon flag for the Hall and flags for Valley Forge and the Tower of Bells at Valley Forge.
Pioneer relics were sent to Salem, the State Capitol, and to The Mother's Cabin at Champoeg, Oregon. Alice Applegate Sargent contributed the last plate of a set her mother brought over the plains. During a fire in 1935, in the State Capitol in Salem, DAR members rescued the display containing items contributed by the Crater Lake Chapter.
Charter member Mrs. D'Albini taught American citizenship courses for 32 years. In 1925 the custom of sending a Christmas box to Angel Island, an Immigration Station in San Francisco Bay, was started and continued until WW2. In 1942 the chapter was in charge of the Medford USO for a year. In 1949, the chapter, working with other local organizations, assisted in forming The Southern Oregon Historical Society.
The chapter owned a United States ceremonial flag which bore a plaque honoring Alice Applegate Sargent's husband, Colonel Sargent. The flag belonged to a local Spanish American War Post. After the post disbanded, their regalia came into the possession of chapter member Austia Barneburg who gave it to the chapter. The old material had deteriorated beyond use so a display case was made by a veteran at the White City VA Domiciliary. The chapter donated the flag to the Rogue Valley Genealogical Society.
Regent Vivian Latham gave a flag to the chapter that had been flown over the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C.
The OSDAR State Conference was held in Medford in the years 1929, 1947, 1975, 1987, 1993, and 2003.
In November of 1994, the chapter celebrated its 75th anniversary. In 1997, Flag Chairman Catherine Kellogg noticed the poor condition of the flag flying at the Medford State Police Station and through her efforts a new flag was presented with proper ceremony.
The chapter also supports the four Oregon State Society museums: Caples House in Columbia City, Oregon; Robert Newell House and complex, including the first school house in Oregon; the Butteville School; Pioneer Motherís Memorial Cabin Museum on grounds of Champoeg State Park; and the Schminck Museum in Lakeview, Oregon.
From 2002-2004, chapter member Yvonne Earnest served as the Oregon State Regent. In January 2010, Crater Lake Chapter celebrated its 90th Anniversary with a luncheon at the new Twin Creeks Retirement Center.