Crater Lake NSDAR
Historical markers were placed at the following places:
Applegate Pacific Trail (Phoenix)
The granite monument honors 15 men who blazed the Applegate Trail in 1856, including Jesse Applegate. Located on the west side of Highway 99 (Main Street) south of the old Colver House, the marker is on the sidewalk in front of 160 So. Main St.
It was placed on Nov. 9, 1921, by the Crater Lake and Mount Ashland Chapters of Daughters of the American Revolution.
Library Park (now Alba Park) (Medford)
On February 22, 1932, a tablet was placed at the base of a sion of a Washington Elm, which was planted in Library Park (now called Alba Park), corner of 8th and Ivy. An article (no title) appeared in the Medford Daily News. The event is also preserved in city park records. In 2007, the tree was blown over in a storm. The marker was found underneath the roots of the tree. ( A sion, or scion, is a tree that is formed by joining a cutting from the upper portion of a tree onto the roots of a related species.)
Methodist Church (Jacksonville)
The marker is on the side of the church building at the northwest corner of D and 5th Streets. The DAR marker on the wall states that it was placed there by Crater Lake Chapter. It recognizes the "First church built in the Rogue Valley." The Methodist Episcopal Church, now St. Andrews Episcopal Church, dates back to 1854. The plaque was dedicated on the first Sunday of January 1855.
Old Stage Road (Jacksonville)
Erected in 1939, the marker called attention to early travel by stagecoach from Jacksonville to Rock Point near Gold Hill. The 13-mile road is the oldest in Jackson County.
In May 2003 the marker was moved to a county-built turnout and view point located on Old Stage Road about 2 1/2 miles north of Jacksonville. The marker reads "Along this road passed the early day travel of Oregon."
Thomas R. Burnett, age 82, the stage coach driver for many years, attended the dedication in 1939. The monument, now surrounded by evergreens, is located on Old Stage Road about one mile north of Ross Lane, on the west side of the road (between mailboxes 3685 and 3701).
Ft. Lane (near Tolo)
This marker is not easy to find or see, but it does mark an interesting area. Fort Lane was built in 1853 to house soldiers during the Rogue River Indian War.
The fort was named for General Joseph Lane, who led the campaign against the Indians and was Oregon's first territorial governor and later a U.S. Senator. Lane County was named for him.
The marker is on the west side of Gold Ray Road about a mile north of Blackwell Road, northwest of Central Point. Turn right at the Tolo Tavern.
It is located uphill away from the road, near a large snag, not far after 7843 Gold Ray Road. There is no shoulder on the road but you can see the pyramid shaped stone marker from the road. It is made of stones from the old fort.
In its heyday, the fort consisted of barracks for the soldiers, houses for the officers, an armory and a hospital, all built of logs. The marker was placed by Crater Lake Chapter, DAR in 1928. The plaque is no longer on the marker. SOU has been doing research on the site. The plaque is not lost, but will be restored once the park is developed.
A picture appeared in the Medford Mail Tribune on June 21, 1972, "On a grassy knoll overlooking Rogue River."
Ft. Birdseye Log Home
This marker sits in the front yard of the Birdseye house, built in 1856, and was placed by Crater Lake Chapter, DAR in 1929.
The site is between Gold Hill and Rogue River. Turn off I-5 at Exit 45A marked Savage Rapids Dam/Rogue River Route and take Highway 99. The house is about two miles on the left past Foots Creek and just past Birdseye Creek. The creek and home are named for David Birdseye, who took a donation land claim there in 1855. Fort Birdseye was nearby.
The log home is listed on the National Registrer. It was restored by Birdseye descendants in the 1980s and damaged by fire in 1990.
Peace Treaty Marker (Sam's Valley/Table Rock).
Near this place on September 10, 1853, a treaty of peace was signed between the Indians and Army officers for settlers of the Rogue River Valley. It is the most easily identifiable of the DAR collection. It is marked by a green sign that reads "Table Rock Monument" on the right, about one mile after negotiating the 45-degree angle turn the road makes as it heads between the two Table Rocks. The monument is inside a fenced area, with a nice view of Upper Table Rock in the distance.
This monument was placed by Crater Lake Chapter of DAR in 1928. This marker is currently maintained by the Takelma Society Children of the American Revolution.
Antelope Cemetery (Eagle Point)
This is the most recent of the DAR markers, placed in 1981 by Crater Lake Chapter, the Eagle Point Historical Society, and descendants of the first person buried there, John Riley, who died in 1858.
The marker is an entrance stone near the front gate, The cemetery is one of a number of smaller ones around Jackson County. It is on the east side of Riley Road about 1.3 miles north of Highway 140.
Medford Court House - The chapter invited the American Legion to assist in honoring the Medford boys who were lost in WWI, by planting an American Elm on February 22, 1927, at the corner point where King Street joins Oakdale Avenue. The location was later changed and on November 16, 1932, the tree was taken up and transplanted to the court house grounds just west of the building where it grows today (in 1992).
Photos compiled by Past Regent Yvonne Earnest.
To view a map of markers photographed (map is oriented east on top), Click Here.
Chapter member Alice Applegate Sargent made a financial contribution to many of these markers.