Edson Butte; Located seven miles east of Langlois. Named for Avery J. EDSON, a native of New York who traveled with the Applegate train of 1846 and operated the Pacific Hotel at Port Orford. He married Christina GEISEL, widow of John GEISEL who was massacred north of Gold Beach.
Ekoms;A post office that never came into existence, Ekoms was named by spelling "Smoke" backwards. George BILLINGS was to be the first postmaster and the office was to be located on the Rogue River.
Elk River;Flows into the Pacific Ocean between Port Orford and Cape Blanco. Named during the goldrush days, probably by the placer miners who saw many elk along its banks.
Euchre Creek; Flows into the Pacific Ocean near Ophir. Named for the Yukichetunne band of the Tutuni Tribe. The name means "people at the mouth of the river." The adaptation "euchre" was adopted in the early 1850s, by miners who enjoyed the card game of the same name.
Farmer Creek; Located two miles east of Carpenterville. Named for Henry Farmer, an early homesteader known for his handmade rugs and enormous feet.
Ferry; Located a mile from the mouth of the Chetco River. Named for a ferry operated there in the early days. Presently near the Oregon Coast Highway bridge. A post office was established 3/5/1888 and discontinued 9/22/1898 with Sarah E. COOLEY as first postmaster.
Floras Creek; Flows into the Pacific Ocean north of Cape Blanco. Named for Fred FLORA (or FLOREY), a miner who staked a claim near the coast.
Fort Miner; A log structure erected by miners and settlers a mile and a half north of the mouth of the Rogue River, near the ocean in an open prairie. In use during the Rogue Indian wars of 1855-1856. It was named for those who took shelter behind its walls.
Fort Orford; Established 9/14/1851 and abandoned October 1856. Located at Port Orford.
Fort Point; Located at the south edge of Port Orford, northwest of Battle Rock. A civilian blockhouse fort was built at this location by Captain WilliamTichenor in1851. It was also called Fort Orford, but was separate from the military fort of the same name. The blockhouse fort was destroyed in the fire of 10/10/1868.
Foster Creek; With headwaters on Ophir Mountain, Foster Creek flows into the Rogue River near Illahe. Named for Charles FOSTER, a New York native and captain of Gold Beach Guards during Rogue Indian Wars who settled near the creek that bears his name.
Gardner Ridge; Located near the mouth of the Chetco River. Named for Johnson GARDNER, an early settler in the vicinity.
Garrison Lake; Located between the town of Port Orford and the Pacific Ocean. Named for early settler John B. GARRISON, a member of the Tichenor party.
Goat Island; Located in the Pacific Ocean, just west of Brookings. It is now a refuge for migratory birds.
Gold Beach; Located near the mouth of the Rogue River. Named for the gold that was discovered in the vicinity in the early 1850s. Its previous name was Ellensburg, in honor of Captain William Tichenor's daughter, Sarah Ellen (Nellie).
Graveyard Point; Located southwest of Port Orford and extending southeasterly into the harbor. Named for the unmarked graves of two soldiers buried there during the existence of Fort Orford.
Gray; Located near Gray Flat, two miles north of Brookings. Named for Loftin GRAY, the first and only postmaster at the office which operated in this area from November 1884 to November 1887.
Grizzly Mountain; Located three miles east of Gold Beach. Named for a hunter called "Grizzly" who supplied meat to the miners at Gold Beach.
Grouslous Mountain; Named for John and Peter Groslouis, early settlers of Port Orford.
Guerin Creek; Flows into North Fork Floras Creek. Named for Alexander H. GUERIN, a member of the early Curry County family of the same surname.
Guerin Prairie; Located north of Eckley on North Fork Sixes River. Named for the prominent early Curry County family of the same area.
Haines Creek; Flows into Sixes River at Eckley. Named for John HAINES, an Illinois native who settled in the area in1859.
Hamilton Creek; Located three miles east of Brookings. Named for Adam HAMILTON, an early settler in the area.
Harbor; Located at the mouth of the Chetco River. Named for the Chetco Harbor Land and Townsite Company. Originally called Chetco. Post office was established 11/24/1894.
Hare; Located six miles east of Langlois on the old road to Myrtle Point. Namedfor Joseph HARE, who was the first postmaster of the office in operation at the site from 4/21/1898 to 8/15/1913.
Harris Creek; Flows into the Pacific Ocean near Brookings. Named for George S. HARRIS, a native of New Zealand who settled in Curry County in1871.
Hayward Peak; Located 20 miles northwest of Kerby (Josephine County) on the divide south of Illinois River. Named for forester, Stanton B. HAYWARD. Elevation 4,300 feet.
Hoosknaden Creek; Flows into the Pacific Ocean northwest of Carpenterville. Name is derived from the Wishtonatan Indians who lived nearby.
Hubbard Creek; Flows into the Pacific Ocean one mile southeast of Port Orford. Named for Isaac M. HUBBARD, one of Captain Tichenor's partners.
Humbug Mountain; Located six miles southeast of Port Orford. Once known as Sugarloaf Mountain, its present name became Tichenor'sHumbug, and then simply Humbug. The name was derived from an incident in which an exploring party of Captain William Tichenor's became lost and arrived at the mountain by accident in1851. Other names included Mount Franklin, and the Indian moniker "Metus". Elevation1,748 feet.
Hunt Rock; Located at Wedderburn. Named for James M. HUNT, a settler at the mouth of the Rogue River.
Hunters Cove; Located southeast of Cape Sebastian. Named for hunters who used to trap sea otters in the vicinity.
Huntley Springs; Located west of Collier Butte. Named for Nathaniel HUNTLEY, an early Curry County settler.
Hurt Cabin; Located on Collier Creek. Named for E. G. HURT, an early day settler in the eastern part of Curry County.
Illahe; Located on the Rogue River. Named for the Chinook jargon word for "land" or "earth".
Iron Mountain; Located 15 miles east of Port Orford. Named for the reddish-brown color of its rock. Elevation 4,000 feet.
Jim Hunt Creek; Flows into the Rogue River six miles northeast of Gold Beach. Named for early settler and goldseeker, James M. HUNT
Jordan Creek; Located east of Brookings. Named for settler Robert JORDAN.