JOHN B. INGRAM
, written by Nancy Prevost
John B. Ingram, oldest son and second of the twelve known children of
James Wilson and Nancy (Presley?) Ingram, was born in 1811 in Bledsoe
County, Tennessee. He and his father both purchased land in Kentucky,
west of the Tennessee River, in the early 1830ís and may have lived
there briefly. By 1833, most of the family was resident in Washington
County, Arkansas, many becoming members of the Shiloh Primitive Baptist
Church. John was married on 20 Oct. 1833 in Washington County to
Laurissa Ann (AKIN?), who was born about 1813 in Kentucky. They made
their home in the Elm Spring area, and John is said to have been a
In the spring of 1852, Ingram families from all over the eastern
and midwestern states joined together in a wagon train bound for Oregon,
known as the Ingram Train and led by a Capt. James Ingram (this may have
been Johnís brother James W. Ingram Jr., born in 1821, or the older
James Ingram of Iowa, who was born in 1809). Besides John and Laurissa,
members of his family who joined this train were his brothers William R.
(1812-1875), James W. (1821-1886), and Willis (1823- ), and
brothers-in-law Enos SLOVER (married Ann) and James CARTWRIGHT (married
John and his family arrived in Oregon on 2 Nov. 1852, and on 1 May
1853 settled on a donation claim (#3048) in Lane County. He later
purchased an additonal 99 1/4 acres from Samuel P. and Malissa A.
Hamilton, whose nephew married Johnís oldest daughter in 1854. John
made his will on 7 July (or June) 1860, and died shortly afterward in
Lane County. The will was filed on 6 Aug. 1860, and at that time the
three witnesses attested in court to the will, but their statement gave
13 June as the date Ingram had made and executed his will. Obviously
one of these records is in error. John Ingramís real and personal
estate, valued at $1500, was left in the care of his wife "Larissa"
during her natural life, after which it was to be divided among their
children. Laurissa remarried on 5 Nov. 1863 in Jackson County, Oregon,
to John SUTTON, and died in 1864.
- Melissa Jane INGRAM, b. 24 July 1834 Washington Co., AR; died 2 Jan.
1859 Linn Co., OR; m. 2 Feb. 1854 Linn Co., OR, Adam Smith HAMILTON. 3
- Francis "Frank" Marion INGRAM, b. c1836 Washington Co., AR. He was
not named in the estate division in 1864, indicating he may have died
prior to that time. However, one Francis M. Ingraham married on 25 Jan.
1857 in Linn Co., OR, Mary Ann COCHRAN, and Francis Marion Ingraham
married 10 July 1859 in Douglas Co., Margaret DODSON. F. M. Ingraham,
born about 1837 Arkansas, and wife Margaret, were residing with 7
children in Deer Creek Pct., Douglas Co., OR, in 1880 along with others
of this family.
- Martha M. INGRAM, b. c1839 AR; m. by 1857, ----- ROWE. Her name was
recorded as "Margee" on the 1850 Census. Possibly her husband was the
Joab ROWE who was a witness to the 2nd marriage of widow Laurissa
Ingram, above. Martha M. Rowe, age 30, was residing in Jackson Co., OR,
at the time of the 1870 Census with three children. One Mrs. Martha M.
Rowe married 16 Dec. 1866 in Jackson Co., Robert F. WADE; one Martha M.
Rowe married 21 Sep. 1870 in Jackson Co., George W. COOKSEY.
- Cordelia A. INGRAM, b. c1842 AR; m. by 1864, ----- MARSHALL.
Possibly her husband was the Newton MARTIAL at whose home in Jackson
County the widow Laurissa Ingram was married for the second time. She
was a resident of Jackson Co. in 1864.
- Ardella INGRAM, b. c1844 AR; m. by 1864, ----- DOTSON. She was
residing in Marion Co. in 1864.
- John Marshall "Marsh" INGRAM, b. 1 Dec. 1847 (or c1845) AR; m. 24
Sep. 1871 Douglas Co., OR, Nancy McLAUGHLIN.
- Randolph S. INGRAM, b. c1847 AR; m. 6 Nov. 1872 Douglas Co., OR,
Alenia L. ROBERTS. They had two sons by 1880, when they were residing
in Deer Creek Pct., Douglas Co.
- Leroy F. INGRAM, b. c1850 Washington Co., AR; m. 24 June 1872 Douglas
Co., OR, Josephine BARKER. In 1880, along with his wife and 5 children,
he was residing in Deer Creek Pct., Douglas Co.
- Mary E. INGRAM, b. c1853 Lane Co., OR. Probably she is the one who
married 1 Nov. 1868 Douglas Co., OR, Enos G. HODSON.
- Lorenzo M. INGRAM, b. c1856 Lane Co., OR.
- 1850 Census, Washington Co., Arkansas.
- 1860 Census, Willamette Forks Pct., Lane Co., Oregon.
- 1870 Census, Jackson Co., Oregon; and Deer Creek Pct., Douglas Co.,
- 1880 Census, Deer Creek Pct., Douglas Co., Oregon.
- Oregon Donation Land Claims.
- Linn, Jackson and Douglas Co., Oregon, Marriage Records.
- Lane Co. Wills; probate record #104.
- Correspondence and family records in possession of the author.
Contributed by Nancy Prevost
- email@example.com, October 25, 1998.
Return to Main Oregon Page
Return to Pioneer Biographies
Copyright © 1998 by Jan Phillips
Last updated Saturday, 01-Mar-2014 16:57:47 MST.