Highway 19 at Burns Park
P.O. Box 377
Condon, Oregon, 97823
This lovely historical society is housed in the Depot Museum Complex in Condon. The non-profit organization has one paid employee who keeps the museum records, keeps the museum open, gives the tours, and does genealogy research as it is requested. A donation is requested for this service; $25.00 for the first 3 hours and $7.00 per hour after that.
The historical society has cemetery records, some birth and marriage records, newspapers dating back to 1900, and files from past genealogy searches. They also have a copy of the book, "The History of Gilliam County;" however, all copies have been sold. There is another copy of the book at the Oregon Historical Society. In addition, they have for sale "Pictorial History of Gilliam County," which is available for $12.50 + $3.00 shipping and handling, and contains wonderful old photographs with captions explaining the history of the photo and what it depicts.
The Gilliam County Historical Society Museum Complex was established to preserve and display artifacts and documents perpetuating the memory and spirit of the people who were vital to the development of Gilliam County. The museum is open May 1st through October 31st, from 1-5 p.m. Admission is by donation; suggested amount is $2.50 for adults, $.50 for high school students, and $.25 for children. The donations, along with memorial contributions and dues are used to maintain the complex. The museum changes it's displays once a year, so it is a must see every year!
The complex contains early farm equipment and many old buildings. The Rice Cabin was built in 1884 from hand-hewn logs hauled 20 miles by wagon team by Silas Adelbert Rice and his wife, Mary Jane Cottrell. It was moved from its original site two miles north of Condon to the Museum Complex. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places! Another building is a one-room school which was moved from four miles north of Condon in 1987. The school has been restored to represent all 47 of the county schools that were in use throughout the county in the past. It was built around 1920 and is known as the Brown School, District No. 20.
One area of the museum contains rooms furnished in the style of the early 1900s, with a picture of Dan Tierney, the first railroad agent at the Condon depot from 1906 to 1931. He was followed in the position by his son, Orvine Tierney, who served until 1961.
A recent endeavor was to move an 1890s frame building from Main Street in Condon to the museum complex. It has been restored as a barber shop.
The Standard Oil Plant, built in 1915, has been in continuous use since.
S.B. Barker Building on lower Main Street, listed on the National Register of Historic Places
Trim West, built in 1893
Mark's Cuts, built in 1894
Coast to Coast warehouse, 1895
Condon Milling Company, 1900
Red Cross Drug Store (Music Box),1902
Gilliam County Library, 1903
Jamieson & Marshall, 1903
First National Bank, 1904
Reisacher Building (Country Flowers),1905
Bank Block (Condon National Bank),1906
Thanks to Joe Schmidt for his work on this page!