Search billions of records on

Hamilton Campbell
Home Up Resources

horizontal rule

City Directories
Ethnic Groups
Vital Records



These pages are Copyright 2001-2007, by Julie Kidd, all rights reserved. 


Please report any broken links, or other concerns, to the webmaster.

 Please respect copyright on and off the Internet.




1863: THE MURDER OF MR. HAMILTON CAMPBELL--The following particulars of this tragic event have been handed to us for publication, as they will doubtless be of interest to a large circle of friends and acquaintances in this state, where Mr. Campbell resided for many years.

At the time of his murder he was superintendent of the Teramarra mine, situated about 150 miles from Guaymas, and owned by Robt. Campbell, a Mexican named Neuratta and another person. Mr. R. Campbell had gone to the mountains on a prospecting tour, leaving the superintendent in charge, and as the latter did not understand Spanish, Neuratta was requested to furnish him with some reliable workmen. and two peons were sent as such. One of these Mr. C. had occasion to send on an errand to San Antonio, about 6 miles from the mine, and during his absence the murder was committed by the other peon. This occurred on Friday, June 12, in the afternoon. Mr. Campbell at the time was kneeling down by a large jar of water, in which he was washing and sorting silver ore, with the intention of sending it for assay to San Francisco, when the cowardly assassin, standing behind him, struck him on the head with a steel bar, crushing the skull in a frightful manner. Death must have been instantaneous, as only one blow was struck. The murderer then robbed his victim, taking from his pockets between forty and fifty dollars and a pistol, and escaped to the mountains. The only motive was plunder, as there could have been no cause for revenge, The other peon, on his return the next morning, discovered the body, and having procured assistance, carried it to San Antonio, where it was buried under the supervision and charge of the American residents, in the ground attached to the church there. Before the steamer left Guymas for San Francisco, it was reported that the murderer had been arrested and executed.

[Oregonian. 30 July, 1863, pg. 4, col. 1 (courtesy Michael Cirelli) (this original dispatch was relayed in Salem by the Oregon Statesman. 27 July, 1863, pg. 2, col. 6. and the above report appeared in the Oregon Statesman on 3 August 1863, pg. 4, col. 2.]