1874 Portland City Directory
Directory of Schools
High School: J. W. Johnson,
Principal; Alexander Meachen, First Assistant. Miss M. A.
Hodgden, Second Assistant. Total scholars in attendance,
Central School: Jas. M.
Williamson, Principal. Grammar Department taught by
Principal. Miss Julia A. Sutton, Miss Ritchey, Miss Kate
Dwyer, Walter Johnson, Miss Barker, Miss Dillon and Mrs. O.
S. Phelps, Assistants. Total Scholars in attendance, 408.
North School: W. W. Freeman,
Principal; Miss F. A. Holman, Assistant in Grammar
Department. Intermediate Department: Miss M. E. Gibson,
Preceptress; Mrs. Meachen, Assistant. Primary Department:
Miss E. Monastes, Preceptress; Mrs. W. W. Freeman,
Assistant. Total enrollment in the School, 332.
Harrison Street School: L. W.
Pratt, Principal; Mrs. Morton, Assistant in Grammar
Department. Boys enrolled, 45; girls, 34. Total, 79. Average
attendance, 70. Intermediate Department: Miss Bodley,
Teacher; Miss Annie B. Shelby, Assistant. Boys enrolled, 48;
girls, 51. Total, 99. Average attendance, 83. Fifth Grade:
Mrs. J. S. Briggs, Teacher. Boys enrolled, 26; girls, 34.
Total, 60. Average attendance, 54. Total number enrolled,
293. Whole number attending the public schools, 1,141.
Average attendance, 89« per cent.
South Portland School: Located on
the McAdmized Road, under the supervision of Mr. Mulkey.
Number of scholars in attendance, 26.
Evening School: Held in the
Central School House, five evenings in the week. Walter
Beth Israel School: Situated
corner of Sixth and Oak streets, Rev. M. May, teacher of
German and Hebrew.
Bishop Scott Grammar School:
Situated corner of N Eighteenth and C street. B. Wistar
Morris, D. D., Bishop of Oregon and Washington Territory,
Rector; R. W. Laing, A. M., Head Master; Miss E. Buss,
Teacher of Primary Department; Miss Maria Emery, matron.
This institution is designed as a Day and Boarding School,
and to furnish a sound practical Christian education. At
present there are accommodations for 50 boarders and 150 day
scholars. There is at present an average attendance of about
Independent German School: A day
school situated corner of Ninth and Morrison streets. This
school is conducted by Mr. George Harrold as teacher, and
Mrs. Geo. Harrold as Assistant, under the Supervision of the
Independent German School Association. Average attendance,
75. Officers: C. Von Wintzingerode, President; Henry
Weinhardt, Vice President; Henry Bohlman, Secretary; Otto
Truer, Treasurer; Frank Dekum and G. Niemeyer, Trustees.
National College of Business and
Commerce: No. 104 First St. President, H. M. DeFrance;
W. S. James Secretary.
Portland Academy and Female Seminary:
Situated on Seventh, between Columbia and Jefferson streets.
This institution is under the charge of Rev. T. F. Royal, A.
M., Principal, assisted by an efficient corps of teachers.
Private School: Fifth street,
between Pine and Oak, under the charge of Miss Batchelder.
St. Helen's Hall: A boarding and
day school for girls, situated on Fourth, between Madison
and Jefferson streets. This school is conducted by the
misses Rodney, under the supervision of the Right Rev. B.
Wistar Morris, D. D., Bishop of Oregon and Washington
Territory. It was opened on the 6th of September, 1869, and
has had an attendance the past year of 135 pupils.
St. Mary's Academy: Situated on
Fourth Street, between mill and market. This institution is
under the charge of the Sisters of the most Holy names of
Jesus and Mary, and is conducted as a Boarding and Day
School. During the past year the average number of pupils
has been 225.
St. Michael's College: Fourth,
between mill and Montgomery sts. For Boys. Rev. A. J.
Glorieaux, Principal. Average attendance of boys, 60.
St. Joseph's School: Situated on
Stark Street, near Third: under the supervision of the
Misses Showers. No. of scholars, 35. Writing Academy:
Located on Third St., near Morrison. White Bros.,
principals. No. of scholars, 25.
Writing Academy: Located on Third
St., near Morrison. White Bros., principals. No. of