These pages are © Copyright 2001-2007, by Julie Kidd, all rights reserved.
Please report any broken links, or other concerns, to the webmaster.
Please respect copyright on and off the Internet.
James Howard and his wife arrived in this vicinity in the late 1880’s, buying a part of the John Littlepage farm before moving on to a homestead. The homestead was about 2 miles beyond the end of the road leading up "Howard Canyon." At first they had only a trail to get to the homestead but Mr. Howard widened it until he had a sled road which served until after several years of hard work he could get a one-horse cart over the dirt road. As this road followed around a steep hillside, it was necessary to move a large amount of dirt with a pick and shovel.
The Howards found it hard to clear land and build roads, at the same time making a living, so they moved to Latourell Falls and opened a boarding house. Their customers were mainly the men working in the small sawmill.
A young boy named Oliver Hickey stayed with them until he saved enough money to begin preparation for college. Later Oliver became a successful lawyer in Portland.
Mrs. Howard began to lose her eyesight so they were forced to give up the boarding house and return to the farm. They were in better circumstances now. She soon became completely blind but continued to do all her own housework.
Mr. Howard’s transportation was a one-horse cart and it was in this he met his tragic death. Near Crown Point on Columbia River Highway a car struck his cart and he was thrown out on the highway. After his death Mrs. Howard went to Fairview to live.
[Source: From a compendium of biographies hand typed and distributed by the East Multnomah Pioneer Association in about 1972, pp. 186-187. Submitted by Dorothy Keefe.]