William Reed
Home Up Resources

horizontal rule

Home
Census
Cemeteries
Churches
City Directories
Ethnic Groups
History
Land
Military
Newspapers
People
Pictures
References
Schools
Vital Records
Other

 

Welcome!

These pages are © Copyright 2001-2007, by Julie Kidd, all rights reserved. 

 

Please report any broken links, or other concerns, to the webmaster.

 Please respect copyright on and off the Internet.

 

 


 

William G. Reed

William G. Reed and Myrtle Reed came to Oregon from Parkerbury, Iowa, in 1883. They came by train to Portland, the first year the railroad was completed. They then took their family of 3 boys, Frank H., Fred C., and Favor W., to Astoria, Oregon where they lived until 1890. While they were at Astoria two more children were born, Lewis and Floyd. In 1890 they moved to Reed Island from Astoria, staying for a brief time at Camas, Wash. on the way.

The Reed children attended school at Taylor School, now Corbett, while they were living on Reed Island. After a river trip across the Columbia they had to walk 1-1/2 miles to school. On days when a strong wind was whipping up waves on the river the teacher would dismiss them early so they could cross the river before it became too rough.

While on Reed Island two more children were born, Floyd [sic] and Eva (Mrs. Albert Fox).

The flood of 1894 forced the family to leave for the mainland and to move to what is now Corbett. Mrs. And Mrs. Reed built a store building with an upstairs hall, where the Columbia Grange was organized and held meetings until the present building was constructed.

Mr. Reed operated a general merchandise store at Corbett for several years. He was the first postmaster of the Corbett Post Office, and he and his son Frank operated the first Corbett telephone exchange. While at Corbett two more daughters were born, Iva (Mrs. L. Bratley) and Laura (Mrs. Dean Hanson).

Mr. Dean and his 5 sons were pioneers in commercial fishing in the Corbett area. They constructed several fish wheels and established the Corbett drift. Frank H. Reed and his wife, Minnie established Reedís Landing and harbor with the assistance of their sons, Clifford and A. Francis.

Of the 7 children born to Mr. And Mrs. Wm. H. Reed, two are living, Mrs. Dean Hanson, and Louis Bratley. Frank H. Reed, the eldest son, passed away at the age of 85 years on August 7, 1969 at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Walter Powell.

--unsigned

horizontal rule

[Source:  Submitted  to Multnomah County GenWeb, by Dorothy Keefe, from a compendium of biographies hand typed and distributed by the East Multnomah Pioneer Association in about 1972, pp. 153-154.]

horizontal rule