These pages are © Copyright 2001-2007, by Julie Kidd, all rights reserved.
Please report any broken links, or other concerns, to the webmaster.
Please respect copyright on and off the Internet.
George H. W. Smith
George H. W. Smith is the only old timer who still lives in the Brower community. All the others have either passed on or moved elsewhere.
Mr. Smith came with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Robert T. Smith, and six other children from New Brunswick, Canada in 1888, and took up a homestead in the Brower district overlooking the Columbia River.
Here they found two thriving sawmills, one in Brower, the other in Palmer. Later Mr. Smith bought 120 acres of land from Mr. And Mrs. Frank Knapp. On August 21, 1900, he was married to Anna M. Pelton of Troutdale, Oregon.
The first home they built was destroyed in September 1902 by the big fire that swept over most of the community. Later they built their present home and hope to pass their remaining years in it.
They are the parents of 4 children: Wilbert L., residing at Corbett; Lester P. also of Corbett, Wilma Smith Cone of Portland and Raymond of Springdale.
[Source: Submitted by Dorothy Keefe, from a compendium of biographies hand typed and distributed by the East Multnomah Pioneer Association in about 1972, pp. 166-167.]