Winema Chapter History
Courthouse, Benton County, Oregon
Original by Erma Uebel
By Past Chapter Regent, Glenna Carter
The pen and ink drawing of the Benton County Courthouse, by Erma Dalgas Uebel is used with permission of the artist's brother and sister, Everett Uebel and Evelyn Uebel Jacobs. The artist's daughter-in-law, Betty Uebel, is a past member of Winema Chapter. We greatly appreciate the use of this drawing.
The Winema Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution was organized in Corvallis on December 28, 1920, at the home of A.B. Cordley. J.A. Keating, Oregon State Regent, installed A.B. Cordley as Winema chapter regent. There were fourteen charter members. The chapter name, "Winema," was suggested by Professor J.B. Horner of Oregon State College. Winema was the name given to the daughter of a Modoc chief by Col. A. B. Meacham. It means "brave heart." She was a heroine during the Modoc War, trusted by both white and Indian people, serving as mediator and interpreter.
Programs for meetings through the years reflected the interests of the chapter as dictated by the National Society. After World War I, attention turned to American citizenship, patriotic education, and youth and adult education among Indians. Early Winema Chapter members collected relics of Benton County and the exhibit became part of what is now the Horner Museum Collection. C. M. Dawes organized an Oregon State College DAR Chapter which was later disbanded. DAR Medals of Merit were presented to outstanding OSU-ROTC students; a practice that continues to this day.
Plaques to mark historical sites were placed by the chapter. In 1932 a plaque was placed at Second and Adams, the site of the Territorial Government which had been moved to Corvallis on January 13, 1855, and moved back to Salem later that year. On May 30th of the same year, a plaque was placed on the gravesite of Winema in the Chief Schonchin Cemetery located in Beatty. In 1947 the Applegate Trail Marker was placed at the corner of Main and J Street in Philomath. Winema Chapter furnished a bedroom at Newell House in Champoeg, and in 1975, our marker was placed to denote the "site of the Earliest Boat Landing, Lower Town, Marysville (now Corvallis)."
The content contained herein does not necessarily represent the position of the NSDAR. Hyperlinks to other sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.
Contact the Webmaster | This site last updated February 18, 2017