Yamhill Chapter History and Officers
by Marcella Rawe
Yamhill became an Oregon Chapter on January 6, 1922. Mrs. E. C. Apperson was Organizing Regent. She also served as Oregon State Regent in 1929 and 1930. The new chapter had spent much time choosing a name. One that would reflect the pioneer history of their valley was what they wanted. In earlier days a tribelet of Calapooian Indians used to come from Bald Mountain to dig roots, to fish in the amber streams or to steal into the pioneer settlementsor and to gaze at all the wonders there. The settlers couldn't quite pronounce the name of the tribelet as the Indians did. It was simplified to "Yamella" or "Yamhill." The river that began in the Coast Range, flowed east to the Willamette was given the same name and when the Provisional Government took over at Champoeg, the more settled land was divided along both sides of the Willamette into four counties, Yamhill being one.
Because of the Indians and the river and the historic county in which they lived, Yamhill Chapter chose its name and has worn it proudly and purposefully for ninety-one years.
Chapter Officers 2013-2015
Vice Regent - Donna Lake
The DAR Insignia is the property of, and is copyrighted by, the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters. Questions or comments? Please email the webmaster. Last Updated 04/25/2014