Album #55 COLE - CHANDLER in Massachusetts Family Photo Album
Civil War Era Album #55 COLE - CHANDLER in Massachusetts Family Album with CDVs (Cartes de Visites), circa 1860s.
Surnames: Prince, Cole, Swift, Jones, Taylor, Morton, Chandler, Chase, Griffith, Bradford, Rogers, Berry, Cobb, Rickard, Fuller, Cowell, Sherman, Shaw, Waterman, Barrows, Vaughan, Leach, Randall, Colby
Locations: Taunton Massachusetts, Boston, Bridgewater, Plymouth, New York, Middleboro, Fall River, Providence Rhode Island, Brockton,
Types of Early Photographs
The type of photograph in an album helps to date the album
Daguerreotypes (ca 1839)
Photography in USA began circa 1839 but not many are found before 1854.
Ambrotypes (circa 1854)
The ambrotype was a glass negative backed with black material so it appeared as a positive image
Tintypes (ca 1855)
The Ferrotype process (tintypes) was introduced in the United States in 1855. It substituted an iron plate for glass and is one of a kind. No copies could be made from a tintype.
Carte de Visite or CDVs (ca 1859)
CDV stands for carte de visite. CDVs replaced ambrotypes, producing a card 2.5 by 4" CDVs arrived in the United States around 1859, on the eve of the Civil War (1861-1865). On June 30, 1864 a tax on photographs, ambrotypes, daguerreotypes and other "sun-pictures" went into effect. Tax Revenue Stamps had to be placed on the backs of photographs from that date (1864) until August 1, 1866. This helps date CDVs taken in this time period.
Cabinet Cards (circa 1870)
CDVís were replaced in the 1870s by Cabinet Cards which were on a larger 4 by 6" card.
|I am pleased to now offer individual photographic reproductions for sale! You can purchase a photographic reproduction of any family photo from my albums. I have rescued over 2500 one-of-a-kind identified family photos taken 1850 to 1900.
List of photos as identified in album index in period handwriting. Please see thumbnail photos from the Cole Chandler Photo Album at Olive Tree Genealogy Marketplace
- MA-1. empty
- MA-2. Verso="Lucy Prince Cole" "Mrs. Lucy Cobb"
- MA-3. "Lucy, second wife of Hezekiah Cole" [duplicate of #2 but in better condition]
- MA-4. "Theron M. Cole" f=Putnam, Middleboro, Mass. [1870s]
- MA-5. "Annie H. Cole." f=Shinner, Plymouth, Mass [1870s]
- MA-6. "Gustavus L. Swift" Verso = J H Crittenden, Fall River, Mass
- MA-7. "Sarah A. Cole Swift f= Putnam, Middlebor Mass [speckled, poor condition]
- MA-8. "Maria L. Jones" [tintype in oval matte]
- MA-9. no name. tintype
- MA-10. no name Verso= Manchester Bros, Providence Rhode Island
- MA-11. "William Swift" Verso=Thomas F Nichols, Fall River Mass
- MA-12. "--- Taylor"
- MA-13. "--- Taylor" Verso="For Miss H. Cole, W.T." [young boy]
- MA-14. "Frank Swift" Verso= T P Stiff, Brockton [Massachusetts] [1870s] [Stiff Brothers, daguerreians in Middleboro, Massachusetts in 1860. Later the firm took CDVs]
- MA-15. "Philip S. Cole" f= Putnam, Middleboro Mass
- MA-16. [tucked behind #15] no name. Civil War soldier in uniform. Tintype in oval frame with 2 cent revenue stamp on reverse, photo taken 1864-1868
- MA-17. "Charles Morton" Verso= C T Sylvester, Boston
- MA-18. "Albert Chandler, brother of Job Chandler" Verso = Whipple, Boston
- MA-19. empty "Nellie Harrubi [?] Cole"
- MA-20. empty "Ida May Chandler"
- MA-21. "Lucy Chase Cole, wife of Harrison G. Cole" tintype in oval matte
- MA-22. empty "Hannah Chase Webster"
- MA-23. "henry harrison Cole" Verso = B Whiting, Plymouth
- MA-24. empty "Ida May Chandler Farrington"
- MA-25. "Joseph S. Chandler" Verso = HS Drake 1879
- MA-26. "Mary Jane Griffith Chandler" Verso=H S Drake 1879
- MA-27. "Josiah Chandler"
- MA-28. "hannah Lewis Cole (Chandler)" "only picture her hair" Tintype in oval matte
- MA-29. "William B. Chandler" Verso=H S Drake 1879
- MA-30. "Mary Fuller Chandler" Verso= H S Drake 1879
- MA-31. "Clem Bradford" tintype young boy
- MA-32. "Minot Prince & Frank Bradford" tintype young boys
- MA-33. "Frank F. Chandler" Verso=H S Drake 1879
- MA-34. "Lizzie Chandler (Rogers)" Verso=H S Drake 1879
- MA-35. "Alice Taylor (Berry)" Verso= Hough, New York
- MA-36. "Warren Taylor Berry" f=E K Hough, New York.Verso= "For Hannah" [baby] Eugene K. Hough, New York [Hough, Eugene K. artist and daguerreian, Petersburg, Virginia, 1858. In 1859 in Louisburg, N.C and in partnership as Hough and Levois in Hillsborough, N.C. Later moved to NC and Tennessee, then Fredonia New York. ]
- MA-37. "Mary Taylor (Pet)" Verso="To Miss Hannah L. Cole from Alice Taylor" [young girl in oval frame]
- MA-38. "Joseph S. Chandler" tintype man in oval frame
- MA-39. "Sydney Oranelle Cobb" Verso = R Whiting, Plymouth
- MA-40. "johathan Rickard" tintype Verso=stamped log Swings, Easton
- MA-41. "Lucy Fuller Cole"
- MA-42. empty "William Cowell"
- MA-43. empty "Josiah Chandler"
- MA-44. "--- Taylor" Verso="To Master Horace Cole" J. Cady, New York
- MA-45. "Nelson Sherman" Verso= 2 cent revenue stamp. A H Locke, Plymouth Mass [1864-1868]
- MA-46. "Josephine Shaw (Waterman)" Verso= E P/S Dunshea, Boston [tinted CDV]
- MA-47. "Mary H. Barrows (Vaughan) wife of Levi Vaughan" gem tintype
- MA-48. empty
- MA-49. "Frederick Freeman Cobb" Verso = D A Burrell, N. Bridgewater, Mass
- MA-50. "Lydia D. Sherman (Leach) (Randall)" Verso= R Whiting, Plymouth Mass [Civil War period]
- MA-51. empty "Henry N. Cole"
- MA-52. [tucked behind #50] Verso = Recipient of this picture invited to visit Samuel Colby's Clothing Store, Taunton Mass" on the bottom of the verso is "Read, photo" This refers to Paddock R. Read aka Reed; ambrotypist, 7 Main Street, Washburn's Building, Taunton, Mass., 1856-1860. He was in Taunton until 1877. On the front is a rare outdoor photo of the front of the store with men outside and store windows with goods clearly visible. CDV with square corners, ca 1870s
Purchase Your Ancestor Photo in 3 Easy Steps
Step 1: Write down the Album #. Example: #55
Step 2: Write down the Name & Number of each photo you are interested in. Example: MA-2, MA-15
Step 3: Place your order for individual quality photographic reproductions