Amanda Pike Family Photo Album
Small Celluloid Album, 5x7 inches. Some loose photos plus funeral cards.
ALbum #36 Amanda Pike
Surnames: Pike, Smith, James, Johnes, Haycock, Gros, Gross
Locations: New Jersey, Pennsylvania
Types of Early Photographs
The type of photograph in an album helps to date the album
Daguerreotypes (ca 1839)
Photography in USA began circa 1839 but not many are found before 1854.
Ambrotypes (circa 1854)
The ambrotype was a glass negative backed with black material so it appeared as a positive image
Tintypes (ca 1855)
The Ferrotype process (tintypes) was introduced in the United States in 1855. It substituted an iron plate for glass and is one of a kind. No copies could be made from a tintype.
Carte de Visite or CDVs (ca 1859)
CDV stands for carte de visite. CDVs replaced ambrotypes, producing a card 2.5 by 4" CDVs arrived in the United States around 1859, on the eve of the Civil War (1861-1865). On June 30, 1864 a tax on photographs, ambrotypes, daguerreotypes and other "sun-pictures" went into effect. Tax Revenue Stamps had to be placed on the backs of photographs from that date (1864) until August 1, 1866. This helps date CDVs taken in this time period.
Cabinet Cards (circa 1870)
CDV’s were replaced in the 1870s by Cabinet Cards which were on a larger 4 by 6" card.
|I am pleased to now offer individual photographic reproductions for sale! You can purchase a photographic reproduction of any family photo from my albums. I have rescued over 2500 one-of-a-kind identified family photos taken 1850 to 1900.
List of photos as identified in album. It is possible that the unlabelled Camden NJ photos are the children of Adam and Amanda Pike.
- P-1. No name. (West Chester Pennsylvania)
- P-2. No name. (West Chester Pennsylvania)
- P-3. No name. (Philadelphia Pennsylvania)
- P-4. No name. (West Chester PA)
- P-5. No name.
- P-6. No name. (Philadelphia PA)
- P-7. Henry Brown (Philadelphia PA)
- P-8. Jennie James (Philadelphia PA)
- P-9. John Smith (Philadelphia PA)
- P-10. No name. (Camden New Jersey)
- P-11. John Jones (West Chester PA)
- P-12. No name. (Camden New Jersey)
- P-13. No name. (Philadelphia PA)
- P-14. Amanda Pike (Camden NJ) [Amanda born ca 1848 New Jersey, wife of Adam Pike born circa 1840 Pennsylvania. Found in 1870 & 1900 Camden New Jersey Census.Known children - John Pike born 1873 NJ, Albert Pike born 1875 NJ md Louisa, Mamie born 1869 NJ m Mr. McClung]
- P-15. Mabel Haycock (Malvern PA)
- P-16. Mary Jones (West Chester PA)
- P-17. No name.
- P-18. No name. (Camden NJ)
- P-19. Funeral Card. “Lidie James died 21 june 1888 age 22”
- P-20. Funeral Card. “Carrie V. Gros born 11 Feb. 1889 died 2 July 1890.” Handwritten on back is “[To] Emma James with best regards of parents, Camden NJ”
- P-21. No name. (Malvern PA)
- P-22. No name. [looks like Mabel Haycock as a young girl] (West Chester PA)
Purchase Your Ancestor Photo in 3 Easy Steps
Step 1: Write down the Album #. Example: #55
Step 2: Write down the Name & Number of each photo you are interested in. Example: MA-2, MA-15
Step 3: Place your order for individual quality photographic reproductions
Sample Photos from Album