Thomas Family Photo Album
Surnames: Thomas, Thom, Gibbons, Hysong, Hissong, Robson,
Locations: New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New York
ALBUM #50 THOMAS
Cabinet Cards, CDVs. Vintage Lether Album with patent date on buckle of 1882
- TH-1. “Martin Thom” [Cabinet Card] v= Plainfield New Jersey [Lorine's research: Martin Thom age 60 born New York found in 1880 census Plainfield, union County New Jersey. Martin's father born New Jersey, his mother born New York. Martin Thom served in the Civil War in Co. A, 2nd NJ Infantry]
- TH-2. “and wife” [Cabinet Card] v= Dana New York [Lorine's research: Martin Thom's wife, Sarah W. age 55 born New Jersey found in 1880 census Plainfield, union County New Jersey. Martin Thom and wife Elizabeth (age 33 born New Jersey) found in 1860 census Plainfield, New Jersey. See TH-11. looks like same middle aged woman in TH-14]
- TH-3. “Merry Christmas, E.V.T” [Cabinet Card] v = Dana New York [probably Ella V. Thom born New Jersey circa 1855 found in census with parents Martin Thom (TH-1) and Sarah Thom (TH-2) in 1870 and 1880]
- TH-4. “P G Thomas” [Cabinet Card. Same woman as TH-27] v=Charlotte Michigan
- TH-5. “Will. H. Gibbons” [Cabinet Card] v= “2.97. 25 years, 2 months, height 6 feet” Vernon & Bancroft [found William Gibbons in the 1910 census for Presque Isle Co. Michigan. William is age 37 (therefore this photo taken ca 1897) born Pennsylvania with wife Anna 38 born Michigan and Anna's parents John F. Hysong, age 74 born Ohio and his wife Mary M. age 68. See *FN2]
- TH-6. “Geo. S/L. Gibbons“[Cabinet Card] v=Charlotte Michigan
- TH-7. “J. H. Y. “[CDV ca 1860s. This appears to be a much younger Martin Thom - TH-1 even though the letters J H Y appear on the front] V=Charlotte Michigan
- TH-8. “Lacy Thomas” [CDV ca 1870s] v= Iowa [Lorine's research: Lacy R. Thomas born Vermont circa 1858 found in 1880 Sioux City, Woodbury Iowa Census, wife of Angevine/Angeline Thomas. See *FN1]
- TH-9. “Isaac Robson” [Cabinet Card]
- TH-10. “Wallace B Gibbons, 14 months” [Cabinet Card] v=Charlotte Michigan f=”M G B”
- TH-11. “yours truly, S W T” [CDV ca 1870s. This is Sarah W. Thom, wife of Martin Thom. Sarah born circa 1835 New Jersey. See TH-2] v = E B Clench
- TH-12. “6 mo. 1873” [Quaker woman, CDV ca 1870s] v = Lockport New York
- TH-13. “with compliments of ----“ [Cabinet Card, appears to be Sarah W. Thoms - see TH-2, 11 & 14] v=Plainfield New Jersey
- TH-14. no name v = Adrian Michigan. [Cabinet Card, 4 generation photo ca 1890-1910: very old woman, middle aged woman, young man, baby]
- TH-15. no name [Cabinet Card] v= Lansing Michigan
- TH-16. no name [Cabinet Card] v=Adrian Michigan
- TH-17. no name [Cabinet Card] v=Colorado Springs
- TH-18. no name [Cabinet Card] v=Adrian Michigan [baby, same one as TH-14]
- TH-19. no name [Cabinet Card, Quaker woman, same one as TH-12] v=Lockport New York
- TH-20. no name [Cabinet Card, Quaker woman] v=Philadelphia Pennsylvania
- TH-21. no name [Cabinet Card] v=Nashville Tennessee
- TH-22. no name [CDV ca 1870s, but appears to be an older TH-28]
- TH-23. no name [CDV ca 1870s]v = Philadelphia Pennsylvania
- TH-24. no name [CDV ca 1870s Quaker woman] v=Adrian Michigan
- TH-25. no name [CDV ca 1870s]v= Parson’s, Wheeling [Virginia?]
- TH-26. no name [CDV ca 1870s Quaker woman] v=Philadelphia Pennsylvania
- TH-27. no name [CDV ca 1870s, same woman as TH-4] v= Charlotte Michigan
- TH-28. no name [CDV ca 1860s looks like younger version of very old woman in TH-14] v= Adrian Michigan
- TH-29. no name [CDV ca 1870s]v=Charlotte Michigan
*FN1: Aaron Thomas, 54, born Vermont, Chloe, 53, his wife, Angeline, 23 their son plus daughter Loney 14 found in Boorkly Green Lake Wisconsin in 1870 censu. 1860 census finds them in same location but daughter Loney is recorded as Lucy. 1850 census for Pittsford, Rutland Vermonth find Aaron age 32 with wife Chloe32 and son Angevine [sic] age 4
Purchase Your Ancestor Photo in 3 Easy Steps
Step 1: Write down the Album #. Example: #55
Step 2: Write down the Name & Number of each photo you are interested in. Example: MA-2, MA-15
Step 3: Place your order for individual quality photographic reproductions
*FN2: 1880 Census Lockport, Westmoreland Pennsylvania has John Hysong age 44 born Pennsylvania with wife Mary A 44 and children Joseph 15, George 10, Annie 7 [TH- ], AManda 4 and Willie 3. in 1910 census for Presque Isle County, Michigan his name is recorded as HISSONG. In 1920 census it is HISSING.
TH-10. Wallace B Gibbons - Found Wallace Gibbons, born Michigan, age 5 (born ca 1905) in 1910 census for Charlotte Michigan with parents Joseph B Gibbons age 41 , born Michigan (fahter born Ohio, mother born New York), and Mabel age 39. Wallace's sister Margaret is age 8.
Types of Early Photographs
The type of photograph in an album helps to date the album
Daguerreotypes (ca 1839)
Photography in USA began circa 1839 but not many are found before 1854.
Ambrotypes (circa 1854)
The ambrotype was a glass negative backed with black material so it appeared as a positive image
Tintypes (ca 1855)
The Ferrotype process (tintypes) was introduced in the United States in 1855. It substituted an iron plate for glass and is one of a kind. No copies could be made from a tintype.
Carte de Visite or CDVs (ca 1859)
CDV stands for carte de visite. CDVs replaced ambrotypes, producing a card 2.5 by 4" CDVs arrived in the United States around 1859, on the eve of the Civil War (1861-1865). On June 30, 1864 a tax on photographs, ambrotypes, daguerreotypes and other "sun-pictures" went into effect. Tax Revenue Stamps had to be placed on the backs of photographs from that date (1864) until August 1, 1866. This helps date CDVs taken in this time period.
Cabinet Cards (circa 1870)
CDV’s were replaced in the 1870s by Cabinet Cards which were on a larger 4 by 6" card.
|I am pleased to now offer individual photographic reproductions for sale! You can purchase a photographic reproduction of any family photo from my albums. I have rescued over 2500 one-of-a-kind identified family photos taken 1850 to 1900.