Cemetery Scavenger Hunt
**Your job is to find as many of these as possible. You must complete number one.
Do your best on the rest. Be careful when walking through the cemetery. You may share your findings with a friend.
1. Do a rubbing of a gravestone of someone who fought in the Civil War (1861-1865)
Write their full name, ___________________________________________________
2. Find someone who has the same first name as you do. Write their full
3. Find someone who has the same last name as you do. Write their full
4. Find someone who died on your birthday (month & day). Write the name of the person
and the date, including the year, ______________________________________________
5. Find someone who was born on your birthday (month & day). Write the name of the
person and the date, including the year. ________________________________________
6. Find a boy who died before he was 12. Write his name and the date he died. ________
7. Find a girl who died before she was 12. Write her name and the date she died. ______
8. Find a tombstone taller than you are. Write the name of the owner. _____________
9. Find a family plot. List the youngest person buried and the oldest person buried there
and the dates they died.
* youngest: _______________________________________________________
* oldest: __________________________________________________________
10. Find a grave that has a statue.
Who is buried there? _______________________________________________
Describe the statue: ________________________________________________
11. Can you find these Civil War names?
Private Gideon Frederick: Date of birth: _______________________________
Date of death: ______________________________
Wife's name: _______________________________
Corporal Ignatz Gresser: What award did he receive? ____________________
Hon. William H. Sowden: Dateof death ________________________________
(wounded at Antietam & carried from field by Gresser)
Seergeant Charles Issermoyer: Date of death __________________________
(captured at Gettysburg)
Captain Edmund Newhard: Date of death _____________________________
Captain Thomas Yeager: Date of death ________________________________
Private John J. Smith: Date of death __________________________________
(in the PA 2nd Cavalry)
Winfield C. M. Steckel: Date of death __________________________________
(musician with NY Militia)
Franklin Miller: Date of death _________________________________________
(killed at Andersonville)
Charles Mickley: Date of death _______________________________________
(killed at the battle of Pocataligo, SC)