Braddock Trail Chapter, National Society Daughters of theAmerican Revolution was conceived on June 27, 1943, and organizedon November 27, 1943, with sixty-three organizing members. Ofthese, seven were transfers from other chapters. Two ambitioussisters, who were Daughters by transfer, compiled data for theapplicants of this new Chapter. For five months, Laura Hay (Mrs.James S.) Braddock of Mount Pleasant and Charlotte Hay (Mrs. R.Edward) Beard worked diligently to attract new members from thelocal area for the new chapter.
On December 15, 1943, the National Board of Management confirmedthis fledgling Chapter as the Braddock Trail Chapter. Mrs. Braddockand Mrs. Beard suggested this name for the Chapter to commemoratethe historic road which General Edward Braddock and his army passedover in 1775 on his journey to Fort Duquesne. This road camethrough what is now known as the Borough of Mount Pleasant.
The founding Daughters, now deceased, were active forthirty-five years. During this time, they enrolled over 200 membersfrom Allegheny, Bedford, Fayette, Somerset, and WestmorelandCounties. With this large membership, it was difficult to find asuitable meeting place. At different times, the Chapter met inprivate homes, a disbanded schoolhouse, church parlors, AmericanLegion home, Frick Hospital Nurses Home, and other places.