insignia

Braddock Trail Chapter, NSDAR
200 South Church Street
Mount Pleasant, PA 15666

History

Braddock Trail

Indians marked out the old roads of Westmoreland County longbefore the white man arrived. There seems to be an instinct in manto follow the setting sun in his journeys, and the Native Americanswere no exception to mankind in general in this matter. They hadwell-defined footpaths and trails that they traveled in going fromone hunting ground to another, and on their long journeys, historytells us "they followed each other Indian Fashion."

When the distinguished English General Edward Braddock was sentover from England with three thousand regular troops to seize FortDuquesne, he invited Major George Washington, a young Virginian, tojoin the projected expedition and give advice as to the route.Washington selected the Nemacolin Trail as the most direct route topursue, and directed his forces as if on parade, with drums beatingand colors flying. This Trail goes directly through what is now theBorough of Mount Pleasant, following present-day Eagle Street fromNorth to South. Today the trail is commonly referred to as "TheBraddock Trail." At the intersection of Braddock Trail (EagleStreet) with Main Street, a granite boulder bears a bronze tabletwith the inscription, "General Edward Braddock and his Army crossedthe Pittsburgh and Mount Pleasant Pike at this point, July 3,1775."

General Edward Braddock was badly defeated on this Trail at theBattle of Monongahela, and while in the act of giving orders, hereceived a mortal wound, the ball passing through his right arminto his lungs. Falling from his horse, he lay helpless on theground, surrounded by the dead, abandoned by the living. The onlyallusion he made to the fate of the battle was a softly murmured,"Who would have thought it?" Never giving up, his parting wordswere, "We shall better know how to deal with them another time."General Braddock is buried on the Braddock Trail, near FortNecessity, Fayette County, Pennsylvania, and his grave isbeautifully marked with a huge granite monument.