Transcribed by Shirley Minshull. For an explanation and caution about this transcription, please read this page.
SURNAMES APPEARING IN THIS CHAPTERADAMS, AGGAS, ANDRE, ANDREWS, BEATTY, BELL, BORTNESS, BRANFIELD, BRIGHT, BROWN, BULLMAN, BYERS, CAMPBELL, CHRISTY, CLARK, CLYDE, COCHRAN, CONWAY, COULTER, CRAIG, CRAWFORD, CUMBERLAND, DAUBENSPECK, DELO, DENSMORE, DOBSON, DONALDSON, FLEEGER, FLEMING, FOREMAN, GEORGE, GIBSON, GILCHRIST, GILLESPIE, GLENN, GORDON, GRAHAM, GRANNIS, GROOVER, GWIN, HALSTINE, HAMILTON, HARPER, HARTMAN, HILLIARD, HINDMAN, HUGHES, JACK, JAMISON, KAMERER, KELLY, KINZER, KUHN, LEEDOM, MAHOOD, MARKWELL, MARSHALL, MASON, MAXWELL, MAYS, MCCALL, MCCARAHER, MCCLELLAN, MCCLUNG, MCELVAIN, MCGARY, MCGILL, MCJUNKIN, MCKERWICK, MCKINNEY, MCLAIN, MCLAUGHLIN, MCPHERRIN, MCQUISTON, MEALS, MENDENHALL, MILLER, MOODY, MORRISON, MORROW, NEYMAN, OSENBAUGH, PAINTER, PARKS, PATTON, PISOR, POLLARD, PRIOR, QUIGLEY, REDICK, RHODES, RIDER, RIDER, RUSSELL, SCOTT, SHIRA, SHRYOCK, SHUGART, SINGER, STARR, STEADMAN, STEAMER, STEWART, STOOPS, STORY, STOUFFER, STOUGHTON, STRATTON, STREAMER, SUTTON, THOMPSON, TIMBLIN, TOWNSEND, TURK, TURNER, VANDERLIN, WALKER, WASSON, WEEMS, WHITMIRE, WHITMIRE, WHITMIRE, WICK, WILSON, WILSON, YOUNG
THIS township is noted as embracing within its limits a petroleum field which, some eight or nine years ago, produced thousands of barrels of oil daily, and consequently created a perfect furor among owners of real estate in the vicinity, as well as among oil operators and speculators generally. But the oil excitement has long since subsided, and though creakings and squeakings of steam oil pumps are still heard from various hillsides and wild, wooded ravines, yet a large proportion of the inhabitants of the township are chiefly engaged in agricultural pursuits. Cannel coal is found in the north part, and the ordinary bituminous coal in various parts of the township. The villages of Concord are Middletown (Hooker Post Office). There is here a Covenanter house of worship, a public school building, post office, a store containing general merchandise, black smith shop, shoe shop, one physician (Dr. O. P. PISOR), one minister of the Gospel (Rev. J. H. MARSHALL, of the Concord Presbyterian Church), and some fifteen dwelling houses. A short distance to the westward, however, is the historic Concord Church. At Modoc City and Trouteman's are two or three stores, a hotel, boiler repairing shop, a church edifice, built and occupied jointly by the Methodists and Winebrennarians, a considerable number of small dwelling houses scattered about the ravines and hillsides, and from twenty to thirty derricks, representing oil pumps at work, can be seen from almost any point of view.
Greece City, another defunct oil town, contains JAMISON's grist mill, the building once occupied by the Concord Savings Bank, a Methodist Episcopal Church edifice, the store of Frank MARKWELL, dealer in general merchandise, some small mechanical shops, and several oil wells in operation.
The CAMPBELL family, now so largely represented in this and adjoining township, originated in Scotland, from whence members of it fled to the North of Ireland during religious wars, and finally representatives of the same family found themselves domiciled in the county of Westmoreland, Penn. John CAMPBELL, the grandfather of Robert W., Andrew and Josiah CAMPBELL, and the great-grandfather of many other heads of families of the same name, if not a native, was certainly one of the very earliest to settle in Westmoreland County. There he raised a family of eight sons and one daughter--Robert (who was born in 1777), John, James, Andrew, William, Joseph, Thomas, Samuel and Jane, the latter of whom married James CUMBERLAND. As soon as this part of Butler County was thrown open to settlement (about 1796), John CAMPBELL, Sr., and several of his older sons visited this region, and selected a large tract in the vicinity of the present town of Petrolia; also a tract of several hundred acres in the present township of Concord. A removal of all the family (to the locality first mentioned) was made soon after, and finally, in dividing the land recently acquired here, the tract in this township (now owned by Andrew and Josiah CAMPBELL, sons of Robert) fell, by drawing cuts among the brothers, to the lot of Robert, the oldest son. This tract was then considered the least valuable among all, containing as it did so much level, wet land. But time has proved it to be of the greatest worth, compared with the Petrolia neighborhood, for agricultural purposes.
About the year 1797, Robert CAMPBELL settled upon the tract just described, and his father (John) and mother also came to his house, where they resided then until decease. He married Miss Jane CUMBERLAND (sister of James), and thus the CAMPBELL and CUMBERLAND families were bound together by another tie. The children of Robert CAMPBELL and Jane, his wife, were Ann, who married her cousin, John CAMPBELL, [p. 382] but is now deceased; Thomas, deceased; Martha, living; John, deceased; Robert W. living; James, deceased; and Andrew and Josiah, living. We have thus shown that from John CAMPBELL, of Westmoreland County, are descended nearly all of the CAMPBELLs of this portion of Butler County. For generations they have been members of the Concord Presbyterian Church. They have ever been known as good citizens, good farmers and good neighbors.
Among the first settlers of Northumberland County, Penn., was a Scotch family by the name of GRAHAM, sufferers with other during Indian incursions. In that county, Edward GRAHAM was born; there he married Miss Sarah QUIGLEY, and reared a family of children named Mary, Nancy, Thomas, William, Louisa (who died in Northumberland), and Edward. About 1793, the entire family removed to Westmoreland County. In the summer of 1795, Edward GRAHAM, Sr., visited this part of the county of Butler, and made choice of the tract now occupied chiefly by his grandsons, William M. GRAHAM, son of William, and Thomas and Edward GRAHAM, sons of Edward, Jr. the settlement of the family, in this, the northern part of Concord Township, was finally effected in the spring of 1796. Then, other than many friendly Indians, William DICKEY was their nearest neighbor. Subsequently, a suit contesting the GRAHAMS' right to these lands was instituted, and continued for a period of fifteen years, but at last terminated in their favor.
Of the sons of Edward GRAHAM, Sr., Thomas, married Mary Ann WEEMS, of
Gettysburg; William, married Jane MCELVAIN; and Edward, married Lydia
WILSON.* Mary, the oldest daughter, married Hugh
CONWAY (who came from Westmoreland County, and was one of the earliest
settlers of this township), while Nancy became the wife of David STEWART.
Edward GRAHAM, Sr., and his wife were both buried in the cemetery near Concord
*Mrs. Lydia GRAHAM nee WILSON, was the daughter of William WILSON, who (born on the Connemaugh River, in Westmoreland County), with his brother, Lewis WILSON, visited this region in 1795, and as early as 1798, settled on the farm now owned by Samuel CAMPBELL, in Washington Township. Mrs. GRAHAM was born on the premises described April 5, 1803.
William STOOPS was born in Sinking Valley, Huntingdon (now Blair) County, Penn., and in 1798 settled near Franklin, Venango County, where he followed shoe-making. He was married twice; had a large family. One of the sons of William STOOPS was Philip, a blacksmith, who married Elizabeth VANDERLIN, and settled soon after that event near what is now known as Annandah Station, on the Shenango & Alleghany Railroad. The iron used by him at an early day was brought over the Alleghany Mountains on horseback. He had twelve children--John, William, Stephen, James, Josiah, Philip, Jr., Henry, Mary, Catherine, Sarah, Elizabeth and Nancy, all of whom arrived at years of maturity and married, except Josiah, who died when eight years old. The family located on the premises in Washington Township lately owned by John STOOPS, about the year 1840.
Big James RUSSELL (so termed because there was another James RUSSELL of less
size in the neighboring vicinity) was born in Ireland. After coming to
America he resided for some years in Westmoreland, afterward in Armstrong
County (so now formed), where he married Jane RUSSELL, his second cousin.
About the year 1797, he purchased 200 acres of land lying just north of the
present borough of West Sunbury, which he soon after sold to the pioneer
Presbyterian preacher, Rev. John MCPHERRIN. He then purchased of Hugh CONWAY
the premises in Concord Township now occupied by his son (David J. RUSSELL),
and the latter's son-in-law, I. H. CHRISTY, and about the year 1804 settled
upon and began the first improvements there. The children of Big James
RUSSELL were Isabella and Caleb, born in Armstrong County; Margaret and David
J., born on the MCPHERRIN farm (the latter in August, 1803); John, Catharine,
Andrew and James, Jr., who were born on the present homestead. Of these
children, David, James and Mrs. HINDMAN (widow of John HINDMAN*) alone survive. According to the recollections
of the venerable David J. RUSSELL, their nearest neighbors in his boyhood days
were Robert CAMPBELL and Hugh CONWAY on the south, William CONWAY on the
east, Edward and William GRAHAM on the northeast, Jacob SHIRA on the north,
and James RUSSELL, an uncle, on the west. James RUSSELL (uncle of David J.),
settled upon the farm now occupied by his son, Samuel, as early as 1798.
* John HINDMAN served as a soldier during the war of 1812-14; James WASSON, and some of the GRAHAMs were also members of the same command; but after being ordered to march they only proceeded as far as New Castle, by reason of the war being over or their services not required.
William and Andrew CHRISTY, brothers, came from Westmoreland County and settled in the southern part of what is now termed Concord Township about the year 1797. When a small boy, William had been captured by the Indians--during one of their hostile incursions into Westmoreland County--and was held by them for many months. His children were John, Robert, William, and a daughter named Betsy, who married John MCLAIN, of Freeport, Penn., and died there at a great age in the fall of 1881.
Andrew CHRISTY was married twice, his first wife being a Miss MCGARY; his second Miss Rachel HUGHES and his children were William, Polly, Betsey, Priscilla, John H., Joseph HUGHES and Andrew, Jr. Andrew CHRISTY, Sr. was a prominent citizen in his day. Nearly three-quarters of a century ago he represented his district in the State Legislature, and during [p. 383] the war of 1812-14, he served in Capt. STORY's company of Pennsylvania volunteers. He also built the second grist mill in the county (NEYMAN's, near Butler, being the first, though erected but a short time previously). He was an Elder of the Presbyterian Church for many years, and died about 1856, at the age of eighty-four years. His surviving children are Priscilla, now the widow of William MCJUNKIN, and a resident of the town of Butler; Joseph, who resides in Clay township; and Andrew, who occupies the homestead, or part of it, at least, on the southern border of Concord Township. The latter being the youngest child of Andrew CHRISTY, Sr., was born in 1814. According to his earliest recollection, among the early residents of the southern part of this township, as now formed, were David BEATTY; William THOMPSON, who lived on the premises now occupied by W. H. CAMPBELL, John SHRYOCK, on the farm now owned by Henry CLARK; and John THOMPSON, a brother of William, who was located where Peter FLEEGER now resides. He first attended school at the Concord Church Schoolhouse, about 1822, Dr. STEADMAN being the teacher. William CHRISTY, Robert MCELVAIN, David BEATTY, John CHRISTY and John WICK (a brother of William WICK, at present a resident of the township), also taught school at the same place before the adoption of the free school system, about 1834. The Covenanters, during the same early period, held meetings in a tent -- during pleasant weather -- which was located near Hugh WASSON's house. When inclement weather prevailed, WASSON's house sufficed for a place of worship.
About the year 1800, Samuel CAMPBELL came from the State of New Jersey and settled in what is now Concord Township. He married Rachel, a daughter of William BROWN, of Fairview Township, and to them were born children named William, John A., Catharine, Nathan, Jesse, Jane, David and Samuel, Jr. All attained adult age and married, but none are now living except John A., who was seventy years of age September 30, 1882. During the last war with Great Britain, Samuel CAMPBELL, Sr., went out as a substitute for Robert CAMPBELL, Sr. John A. CAMPBELL married Miss Mary MILFORD. Of nine children born to them, eight are living, one son, John F., having died of disease while serving as a member of a Pennsylvania regiment during the war of the rebellion.
John BYERS was born in Westmoreland County. About 1796, he married a Miss HARTMAN, and settled in the region now known as Centre Township, Butler County. Their children were Elizabeth, Daniel, Susanah, John, Jr., David, Adam, William, Samuel and Mary. Of these, William and Mary, only, are now living. John BYERS, a grandson of John BYERS, Sr., now owns the homestead in Centre Township. William, son of John BYERS, Sr., was born in 1809. His first wife was Sarah OSENBAUGH, his second, Rebecca HILLIARD. He settled where now residing in 1850, making the first improvements thereon.
Jacob RIDER was a native of Washington County, Penn. After attaining to years of manhood he located in Alleghany County, and married Miss Sarah BRIGHT. Their children who reached adult age, were Michael, Mary, Christopher, Jacob, John, Samuel, Margaret and George. Two others, viz., Sarah and David, died when very young. Those of the family now surviving are Christopher, Jacob, John, Samuel, George and Margaret, the latter the wife of Peter WHITMIRE. Jacob RIDER, Sr., settled in Centre Township (upon the farm now occupied by his son George) in 1830, where he made the first improvements upon the premises owned by him until his death. John S. RIDER, of Concord, located where he now resides in 1861. About eighty acres of his purchase had then been cleared by James K. CHRISTY.
Daniel L. KAMERER was born in Brady's Bend Township, Armstrong County, Penn. His wife was Miss Anna H. DAUBENSPECK. About 1854, he removed to the premises in Fairview Township, where he still resides. His son, Peter KAMERER, settled in Concord Township in 1858, and two years later John D., another son, also became a resident of the same locality. The latter served in the Fourteenth Pennsylvania Cavalry during the war of the rebellion, and in the fall of 1878 was elected County Auditor for a term of three years. His brothers, William and Adam, also served in the army during the late war, first in the Sixty- Second Regiment of Pennsylvania Infantry, and afterward in the Fourteenth Pennsylvania Cavalry Regiment.
William T. JAMISON, who was a native of Indiana County, Penn., settled upon the farm in Concord Township now occupied by Henry CLARK, in 1826. About ten years later, he bought the old CHRISTY grist mill of John HARPER, and located there, and from that time until the oil excitement brought forth the uneuphoneous, yet suggestive patronymic--Greece City--the locality was known throughout the county as JAMISON's Mill, and JAMISON' Schoolhouse.
In 1800, Jeremiah SUTTON, of New Jersey, came to this county, and a year later his son, Platt, arrived. Two more sons, Joseph and Jeremiah, also settled here. Jeremiah died in Grant County, Ind. Joseph lived and died in Concord Township. Platt SUTTON was married, and came here with his wife in 1801. He died in 1852, aged seventy-seven. He reared nine children--Mary (SUTTON) deceased; Nancy (HARPER) deceased; Elizabeth (BULLMAN), Farmington, Butler County; Jeremiah, deceased; Joseph and Phebe, Concord Township; Margaret (JAMISON), [p. 384] Armstrong County; Platt, Jamestown, Mercer County; and James, Evansburg, Butler County.
Joseph SUTTON settled in this township about 1819. He was from Westmoreland County, but a native of New Jersey. The children of Joseph and Sarah SUTTON who reached mature years were three: John, James and Jane (MORROW). John, the oldest, lived some years on the old homestead, then went to Armstrong County, and afterward returned to Butler County. He died in 1864, in Fairview Township. His wife was Mary SUTTON, the mother of eight children, six of whom are now living.
In 1796, Mrs. AGGAS, a widow, accompanied by her tow sons, named Sylvanus and Abner, migrated from Westmoreland County, and settled upon a tract of land in the present township of Centre, now owned by her grandson, James AGGAS. Prior to that event, however, her husband had been killed by the Indians during one of their hostile forays through Westmoreland.
Illustrative of the life in the wild woods then (1796), it has been related that Mrs. AGGAS and her children, in taking possession of their newly acquired home in this (Butler) county, encamped at a spring, where such resources as they possessed were utilized to the end that the night might be passed comfortably. Mrs. AGGAS was not suited with the spring and its surroundings, and as considerable time yet intervened before the close of the day, she arranged to find a better spring and place to build a habitation. A dense forest, however, cumbered the surface in all directions, and she needed to travel but a few hundred yards to pass up one slope and down another, to become lost. During the last hours of daylight, bewildered and frightened, she pushed her way from thicket to thicket, over hills and across narrow valleys, endeavoring to find her way back to her little boys (the oldest being then about eleven years of age), but she failed in all her efforts, and at length, amid the darkness of the forest, sank utterly exhausted at the foot of a huge oak, where a sleepless night was passed listening to the howling of wolves, and other dreadful noises. With the coming of daylight, she again attempted to find her way back to the encampment, or to some settler's cabin, but she failed again, and a second night was passed in the forest alone, though she managed to crawl up into the forks of a large tree where three great branches started from a common center. On the morning after the second night's stay in the woods, she found a path traveled by a few white settlers, and, meeting some distant neighbors, was enabled by their directions and by walking a long distance around, to return in safety to her children, whom, it is presumed, were also safe, yet wondering at her long, unaccountable absence. When her second son, Abner, became a young man, he joined the United States forces, then waging war against hostile Indian tribes, passed down the Ohio River with a company of soldiers, and was heard from never afterward. Sylvanus, on the other hand, remained at home, tilled the soil, and married as his first wife a Miss GILLESPIE, by whom he had five children, none of whom survive. After the death of his first wife, he married Miss Elizabeth GORDON, daughter of James. By this marriage were born William, who died in infancy; Keziah, who, as the wife of William WHITMIRE, died when nineteen years of age; Sylvanus, Jr., now a resident of Concord Township; James, now occupying the homestead in Centre Township; Alfred, now a resident of Clay Township; Almira, who died as the wife of Warren THOMPSON; Rebecca J., who is the wife of Samuel TURK, at HILLIARD's Station; Samuel, who died when a young man, and William (2d) who resides at Liverpool, Ohio. Of these sons, Alfred served during the late war in the Fourth Pennsylvania Cavalry eighteen months. Afterwards, he, together with his brothers, Sylvanus, Jr., and James, served in the Sixth Regiment Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery. Their father, Sylvanus AGGAS, Sr., died in 1868, at the age of eighty-three years.
James TURNER was born in Ireland in the year 1776, and in 1800 he became a resident of Parker Township, as now formed, where he died in 1857. His sons were William R. and Samuel. George B. TURNER, a grandson of James, was born in Parker Township in 1846. He married Miss Sade W. GIBSON (born in 1847) in 1864, and their children, named William H., John F., Clarence R. and Clara E. are all living, the oldest being eighteen and the youngest seven years of age. He has been a resident of Concord Township since 1872.
In 1854, the time the present township boundaries were defined, the names of the taxable inhabitants were as follows: John ANDREWS, Sylvanus AGGAS, Joseph ADAMS, William BYERS, Barbara BELL, Archibald C. BELL, William BROWN, Samuel BYERS, Adam BYERS, Benjamin BORTNESS, Platt BULLMAN, Andrew BULLMAN, Andrew CHRISTY, Sr., Andrew CHRISTY, Jr., William H. CHRISTY, Robert G. CAMPBELL, James COULTER, Alexander CAMPBELL, John CAMPBELL, Thomas COULTER, Rev. John COULTER, James CAMPBELL (of Robert), Thomas CAMPBELL, John COULTER, Jr., William CAMPBELL, John G. CHRISTY, John CHRISTY, Andrew CAMPBELL, Isaiah R. CHRISTY, Robert CAMPBELL's heirs, John CAMPBELL (of Robert), Joseph CUMBERLAND, James CUMBERLAND, Sr., Robert CUMBERLAND, James CUMBERLAND, Jr., John CUMBERLAND, Josiah CAMPBELL, George C. CONWAY, Robert W. CAMPBELL, Hugh P. CONWAY, Hugh CONWAY, Sr., Edward G. CONWAY, [p. 385] William CONWAY, John CHRISTY (of William), William A. CHRISTY, James P. CRAWFORD, James A. CAMPBELL, Samuel B. CAMPBELL, William CAMPBELL's heirs, Joseph CAMPBELL, Esq., Robert CAMPBELL, Eli CAMPBELL, George CAMPBELL, James CAMPBELL, John A. CAMPBELL, Thomas CAMPBELL (of Joseph), James J. DENSMORE, Robert DOBSON, William J. DOBSON, Samuel C. DONALDSON, Andrew DONALDSON, Esq., Robert DONALDSON, Isaac DONALDSON, Peter FLEEGER (of Jacob), Peter FLEEGER, Sr., James FOREMAN, Rudolph FOREMAN and James, Jr., Thomas FLEMING, William C. GLENN, William GLENN, Sr., Andrew P. GLENN, Joseph GLENN, William M. GRAHAM, Esq., Edward GRAHAM, Jr., William L. GRAHAM. Edward GRAHAM, Sr., James A. GIBSON, Bazleel GRANNIS, James P. GORDAN, Harrison GIBSON, George GILCHRIST, John GWIN, Oliver GWIN, William HARPER, Thomas HARPER's heirs, Robert S. HARPER, Sutton HARPER, John HINDMAN, Samuel S. JAMISON, Samuel JACK's heirs, William C. JAMISON, Ephriam JAMISON, Charles and Jacob KINZER, Henry KUHN, Alexander KUHN, James KELLY, Daniel KAMERER, Joseph LEEDOM, John MORROW, John MCCALL's heirs, James S. MCCALL, John MCKINNEY, Sr., Robert MCKINNEY, William MCKINNEY, John MCKINNEY, Jr., Alexander MCQUISTON, Alexander MCQUISTON, Jr., Joseph MEALS, George MAHOOD, George MEALS, James MAXWELL, Robert F. MAXWELL, William C. MAXWELL, Francis MAYS, Mary Ann MAYS, James MOODY, Samuel MCCLELLAN, Charles MCCLUNG, Sr., Charles MCCLUNG, Jr., William MCGILL, Mathew MORROW, John MURTLAND, Alexander MURTLAND, James MURTLAND, Bridget McDEVITT, Mary McCONNELL, Robert MORROW, John MCLAUGHLIN, James MCCARAHER, David PATTON, Harvey PARKS, James PARKS, Jacob PISOR, Daniel PISOR, Abner POLLARD, Samuel PRIOR, Thomas PATTERSON, Ebeneezer RUSSELL, Samuel RUSSELL, David J. RUSSELL, Andrew RUSSELL, William STEWART's heirs, F. SHUGART, Andrew J. STOUGHTON, Platt SUTTON, James SUTTON, Nelson SUTTON, John STARR, Sr., Jeremiah W. STARR, Joseph SUTTON, James C. SUTTON, John STARR, Jr., Elisha W. STARR, John SUTTON, Esq., John SCOTT, Esq., Andrew TIMBLIN, Joseph S. TIMBLIN, William S. THOMPSON, James TIMBLIN, Joseph W. TIMBLIN, George TAGGART, Robert TURK, John J. TIMBLIN's heirs, John WICK, James WICK, William WICK, Abraham WALKER, Peter YOUNG, Simon YOUNG.
At the time the township was formed (1854), it contained one hundred and seventy-one taxable inhabitants. The assessed valuation of real and personal estate amounted to $53, 346, upon which was levied a county tax of $318.86, and a State tax of $160.14.
In comparison with the facts stated in the foregoing paragraph we find that the taxables, etc., etc., in the year 1880, were as here shown: Number of taxables, 535, aggregate value of real estate taxable, $306,870; aggregate amount of money at interest (including bonds, stocks, etc.), $10,000; number of horses and mules over the age of four years, 294; value of same, $14,753; number of cows and neat cattle over four years old, 457; value of same, $7,177; valuation of salaries, emoluments of office, posts of profit, trades, occupations and professions, $18,648; aggregate value of all property taxable for county purposes, $347,448, being exceeded (in the latter respect) by but three other townships in the county, viz.:Donegal, Fairview and Parker.
Greece City Borough, 1873, James L. CONN; 1873, James S. CRAIG.
This church begins its history with the close of the last century. It was in the summer of 1799 that Rev. John MCPHERRIN, then pastor of the church of Salem, in Westmoreland County, Penn., visited this section of country and preached to a congregation assembled in the forest near the place where the church now stands. He then called the congregation Concord, which name it has appropriately borne ever since. He did not remain with the congregation then, but returned and settled here in the year 1803. During this interval there were occasional supplies. Rev. MCPHERRIN's pastoral charge consisted of Thom's Ridge (now Butler), Muddy Creek and Concord.
The organization of Concord Church was completed in the fall of 1804 by the election and ordination to the office of Ruling Elder the following, viz.: Jeremiah SUTTON, Hugh CONWAY, Sr., William CHRISTIE, Andrew CHRISTIE and John CHRISTIE.
A call for the ministerial labors of Rev. MCPHERRIN for one-third time was accepted by him. The Lord's Supper was administered for the first time in 1805 to about twenty-six members in full communion.
Rev. John MCPHERRIN continued to be pastor of this church till near the time of his death, which occurred on the 10th of February, 1822.
The Rev. John COULTER became pastor of the same charge in 1823, and continued to minister to Concord more than forty years, till the infirmity of age admonished him that he must cease from his labors. He resigned his charge in the spring of 1864, and died at [p. 386] his home in the bounds of Concord congregation on the 6th of December, 1867, in the eighty-fourth year of his age. His labors were greatly blessed, and the impress of his teachings and his pure life will long be seen on the congregation over which he ministered.
The present pastor, Rev. J. H. MARSHALL, was installed over this congregation in connection with the Church of North Butler on the 23d of October, 1865. He was born near Dayton, Armstrong County, Penn. He grew up on a farm, and studied at Glade Run academy, Washington College, and Alleghany Theological Seminary. Concord Church has been his only pastoral charge. His father was for many years an Elder in the Presbyterian Church at Glade Run. His pastorate has now continued more than seventeen years, which have been years of prosperity to the church.
The fact that three pastorates cover a period of eighty years, and the utmost concord has prevailed during all this time, are worthy of note. Few congregations have such a record.
In this congregation the temperance cause was advocated, probably, first in the county, and liquor was never sold in the bounds of the congregation till the oil excitement brought it in, and then the legal sale would never have been allowed if the court had regarded the sentiment and voice of the community.
From this church six others have been taken in whole or in part, and yet it has a large membership, and probably the largest Sabbath school in the county.
To the foregoing sketch, contributed by the pastor, we will add that the congregation worshiped first in a small log house, having an earthen floor, split log seats, and wide, old-fashioned fire-place. The second church edifice, also of logs, was thirty feet square. It was afterward enlarged by the addition of thirty feet to its length. The present commodious brick structure was built in 1838.
This congregation now numbers about seventy-five, and of those who have officiated as pastors, we name Rev. John DELO, J. SINGER, A. S. MILLER, Samuel STOUFFER, D. TOWNSEND, Isaiah J. DELO (as a supply) and Charles L. STEAMER. Mr. STEAMER, the present incumbent, has been in charge four and one-half years, a longer period than any who have served this church.
The church building, which cost about $1,300 and has a seating capacity of about two hundred, was dedicated in November, 1876. The pastors have been Revs. David TOWNSEND and Charles L. STREAMER, with Rev. Isaiah J. DELO, as a supply for four months during a vacancy. The present members number eighty- five.
In the winter of 1870-71, however, a church was organized here as part of the Fairview Circuit, Rev. Edward M. MCKERWICK in charge. In August, 1872, the famous MORRISON well was completed at Greece City, and feeling jubilant over his good fortune, David MORRISON donated $1,000, to assist in building a church edifice, while his wife gave one half acre as a building site. The work of construction began at [p. 387] once, and in the winter of 1872-73, the structure was completed at a cost of $3,000. This point then became a separate station, and Rev. B. F. DELO, the preacher in charge, but by reason of the town being destroyed by fire, and a consequent removal of many members, he, during the remainder of his stay of one year, preached at other points. Since early in 1874, this church has formed part of the North Washington Circuit, and the preacher in charge the same as there mentioned, viz., William BRANFIELD, J. C. RHODES, James CLYDE and J. L. STRATTON. Robert W. JAMISON has been class leader since an organization was first effected. There are now sixty members in full connection. A flourishing Sabbath School also exists, of which Robert HAMILTON is Superintendent.
The first officers were: W. F. CAMPBELL, Master; I. H. CHRISTIE, Overseer; Linn B.CHRISTIE, Chaplain; Joseph CAMPBELL, Treasurer; Clarence CAMPBELL, Steward; J. B. CAMPBELL, Assistant Steward; A. G. MEALS, Secretary; T. J. RUSSELL, Lecturer; Thomas GRAHAM, Gate Keeper. Ladies, A. E. CHRISTIE, Flora; Cornelia CAMPBELL, Ceres; Nanna GRAHAM, Pomona; Virginia CHRISTIE, Lady Assistant Steward.
Subsequent Masters of the Grange have been: I. H. CHRISTIE, 1876; Joseph CAMPBELL, 1877; O. H. CHRISTIE, 1878; William M. GRAHAM, 1879; W. F. CAMPBELL, 1880; Linn CHRISTIE, 1881; and I. H. CHRISTIE, 1882. Other officers of the present are: J. B. CAMPBELL, O.; George B. TURNER, L.; G. W. MASON, S.; R. H. CAMPBELL, Asst. S.; Linn CHRISTIE, C.; Joseph CAMPBELL, Treas.; W. F. CAMPBELL, Secy.; H. E. GEORGE, G. K.; A. E. CHRISTIE, Ceres; R. M. CAMPBELL, Pomona; Nanna GRAHAM, Flora, and Kate STOOPS, Stewardess.
The present members number forty-two. They erected a hall--situated at Middletown--in 1881, costing $325.
[End of Chapter 41--Concord Township: History of Butler County, Pennsylvania. With Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of some of its Prominent Men and Pioneers. Waterman, Watkins, & Co., Chicago, 1883.]
Chapter 40--Fairview Township
Chapter 42--Slippery Rock Township
1883 Butler County History Contents
Butler County Pennsylvania USGenWeb Homepage
Edited 09 Mar 2000, 17:13