Transcribed by: Dolores Carlson. For an explanation and caution about this transcription, please read this page.
Link to a sketch of Adams Township from the Atlas of Butler County, G.M. Hopkins & Co., 1874.
Surnames in this chapter are:
ADAMS, ALLEN, ANDERSON, BARR, BEERS, BERRINGER, BLAIR, BOGGS, BOISE, BORLAND, BOWSER, BOYD, BROWN, CARRUTHERS, CASHDOLLAR, CONABY, CONFER, CONLEY, CONLIN, COOPER, COVERT, COWAN, CRANEY, CRISWELL, CROWE, DAVIDSON, DAVIS, DICKEY, DONALDSON, DOUTHETT, DUNCAN, DUNBAR, FOOTZ, FORSYTHE, GALBRAITH, GILLILAND, GLOVER, GODDARD, GOEHRING, GRAHAM, GUTHRIE, HALL, HARKLESS, HAYS, HILL, HOOD, HUNT, HUNTER, HUTCHMAN, IRVINE, JOHNSON, JOHNSTON, JORDAN, KANE, KENNEDY, KIDD, KILPATRICK, LINK, LITTLE, MAGEE, MARBURGER, MARSHALL, MARTIN, MATERS, McCANDLESS, McCAW, McCLESTER, McCLISTER, McGEORGE, McKINNEY, McMARLIN, McNEAL, MEANS, MEEDER, MEEKER, METZ, MILES, MILLER, MURRAY, ORR, OWENS, PARK, PATTERSON, PETERS, PINKERTON, PLUMMER, REA, RICHARDSON, ROBBINS, ROSEBORO, SHANNON, SHIMP, SHOOK, SLOAN, SMITH, SPEAR, STAPLES, STERRETT, STOOLFIRE, STOUP, THOMAS, THOMPSON, VANDIVORT, WALDRON, WALKER, WALKINSHAW, WALTERS, WARD, WEST, WHITE, WILLIAMS, WILSON, WRIGHT, YATES, YOUNG, ZIEGLER
ADAMS township, named in honor of John Quincy ADAMS, the sixth president of the United States, was organized in 1854, its territory being taken from Cranberry and Middlesex townships. It is drained by Breakneck creek, Little Breakneck and Glade run. They flow through broad, fertile valleys, and serve to diversify as well as beautify the scenery of the township. Along the Breakneck, near the Forward township line, a four to six-inch layer [p. 441] of cannel coal is found, resting on about two feet of the Upper Freeport coal. Both deposits were mined by George MARBURGER; while on the hill above, fully seventy feet over the cannel, DUNBAR opened a bank in eighteen inches of what is locally called the Brush creek coal. The DAVIDSON and HAYS banks above this, show the Upper Freeport on each side of the river in veins fourteen to twenty inches thick. In 1876 coal was discovered on the PARK farm. The green, crinoidal limestone found on a few of the higher summits, as on the STOUP and HILL farms, has seldom, if ever, been utilized for lime or building purposes. The red shale banding other summits is simply an ornament of nature. This township escaped the enterprise of the oil man for many years; but his industry has at last gained him a foothold and created a new and prosperous section of the Butler oil field.
In 1798 William CRISWELL, a native of Ireland, came into the township, as did William ROSEBORO, James and Matthew PARK, Silas MILLER, Isaac COVERT, Joseph and Thomas MEANS and one or more of the GILLILANDs, John GILLILAND being born here, November 25, 1798. The DAVIDSONs were also among the pioneers, as prior to 1803; James, Sr., James, Jr., and Peggy had 800 acres of land, with horses and cows. John RICHARDSON and William FORSYTHE came about the close of the century; Andrew BARR with wife and three children came in 1813 and settled on the old ROSEBORO farm, which the original owner called Edenderry. Thomas KENNEDY located here about the same time. Robert McKINNEY came in 1816, and established a distillery in 1819; Job STAPLES, a farmer, preacher and school-teacher, moved in from the Brush creek country, and the COVERTs, PLUMMERs, ORRs, McMARLINs, KENNEDYs, CASHDOLLARs, KIDDs, MARSHALLs, WALTERS, COOPERs and HALLs followed the pioneers and cleared the glades.
The township has never departed from its attachments to agriculture, and hence the record of manufacturing industries is confined to Robert McKINNEY's distillery, established in 1819, and Samuel ROSEBORO's grist mill, near Mars, built in 1883, near the site of Matthew PARK's old mill.
[p. 442] The population in 1860, was 866; in 1870, 973; in 1880, 1,156, and in 1890, 1,817. The last number has been increased, owing to the rapid development of the oil field and general progress of the township. The total assessed value of property in 1894 was $415, 840; the county tax $1,663.30, and the State tax $415.28.
The justices of the peace, elected in Adams township, since its organization in 1854, are named as follows: William REA, 1854-59 and '64; John S. DOUTHETT, 1857-59; Francis H. DAVIDSON, 1864; Samuel MARSHALL, 1865-70; Benjamin DOUTHETT, 1869; Jacob HUTCHMAN, 1872-77-82; James BARR, 1874-79; Thomas M. MARSHALL, 1884; Joseph CASHDOLLAR, 1885; D. B. WILSON, 1887; T. W. KENNEDY, 1890; John SHANNON, 1894, and W. J. GILLILAND, appointed in July, 1894, vice KENNEDY, deceased.
In 1839 the log house was abandoned, the "Old School" party purchasing an adjoining lot and erecting a brick building on it, in which they afterward worshipped. In 1835 the "Old Schools" had called Rev. Hugh WALKINSHAW as pastor, who served them until April, 1843, when he resigned. In the following [p. 443] June he was succeeded by Rev. John GALBRAITH, who remained until 1872, when he accepted a call for his entire time from North Union church. Mr. GALBRAITH was born in Donegal county, Ireland, April 6, 1818. He came to the United States in 1832, graduated from the Western University at Pittsburg in 1838, from the Reformed Theological Seminary of Allegheny City in 1842, was ordained in 1843, and took charge of the Union church of Adams township the same year.
On May 17, 1876, Rev. A. KILPATRICK was installed pastor of Union and Pine Creek churches. In 1877 the congregation of Union removed their church to Mars, two miles south of the old place.
The "New School" Presbyterians date their church building back to 1839. The "Old School" Presbyterians having led the way in church building, the "New School" people purchased a lot about one mile northwest of the "Old School" building, and erected a large brick house, which now carries the name, "Union Church, 1839," on a stone inserted in the gable. In 1840 an election of elders resulted in the choice of John McGEORGE, Samuel BOYD, John WALDRON and David GILLILAND. About that time Rev. T. C. GUTHRIE resigned the charge, and the pulpit was supplied at intervals until 1851, when Rev. Andrew WALKER was installed pastor of this and the Mount Pleasant church, as formed in 1850. In 1854 his pastorate with these organizations ceased. The elders chosen in 1855 were David DICKEY, William ANDERSON, Joseph DOUTHETT and Jacob STOUP. With the exception of 1857 and 1858, when Rev. GUTHRIE was stated supply, the pulpit was vacant until after the society merged into the United Presbyterian church. The members from the Brownsdale neighborhood withdrew in 1859 to attach themselves to a new organization there, and in June, 1859, the remnant of the Union congregation became allied with the United Presbyterians. The elders elected in January, 1860, were Joseph JOHNSTON, Joshua DAVIDSON and Jacob HUTCHMAN. About that time the application for transfer to the Butler Presbytery was acquiesced in by the Allegheny Presbytery. Union and Brownsdale churches agreed to unite in one charge, and in the summer of 1861 extended a call to Rev. R. M. PATTERSON, who was installed as pastor November 11, 1861. John DONALDSON, an elder of the Evans City society, was installed an elder here in 1864; John S. DOUTHETT and John MARTIN were elected elders in 1867, and Alexander HUNTER, an elder of the Middlesex Presbyterian church, in 1875. In 1864 the Union and Brownsdale societies dissolved connection, and Mr. PATTERSON was allowed to devote his whole time to the Old Union church until appointed by the Freedmen Missions' board school teacher at Knoxville. The society was incorporated June 14, 1866, with Jacob HUTCHMAN, Francis H. DAVIDSON and Samuel ORR trustees. In 1871 Rev. R. G. YOUNG was called by Union and Brownsdale. He accepted the call and remained until 1875. In 1880 the two churches joined in a call to Rev. R. P. McCLESTER, who was installed June 15 of that year. May 3, 1881, J.J. SMITH, a ruling elder of the United Presbyterian church of Buena Vista, was installed an elder here, and on October 14, 1886, William A. SLOAN and James W. PARK were elected elders. On June 9, 1890, Mr. McCLISTER resigned, since which time the pulpit has been vacant. The session is made up of John MARTIN, J. J. SMITH, William A. SLOAN and Jacob [p. 444] HUTCHMAN. The last named has been clerk of the session for many years. The number of members in 1894 was 144.
Crest View Presbyterian Church was organized in 1890, letters being granted August 10, of that year, by the session of Plains church to the following named members: John STAPLES, Mandana STAPLES, Nancy STAPLES, Susan STAPLES, Maud STAPLES, William STAPLES and Seth P. STAPLES; Joseph, Maria, Fleming, Margaret, Ida, Mary, Andrew and Annie L. WEST; Nicoll and Nancy ALLEN; Annas and Mary METZ; Elizabeth, Alfred, Annie and Sarah RICHARDSON; Joseph and Jane DAVIS; John VANDIVORT, and Tillie GOEHRING. The petition, bearing the above signatures was presented by Rev. R. C. YATES, and granted. The society was incorporated February 15, 1892, with Nicoll ALLEN, F. C. McNEAL and Alfred RICHARDSON, trustees.
The United Presbyterian Church of Mars, the early history of which is related in that of Union church, was incorporated May 16, 1893, on petition of Dr. John C. BARR, T. M. MARSHALL, John DAVIDSON, John A. CRISWELL and Presley DUNCAN. On January 20, 1894, the new church building was completed at a cost of about $4,000.
The Methodist Episcopal Church of Mars was organized with eight members, Joseph BORLAND, one of the most zealous friends of the society, being one of them. The church building followed organization. Rev. Mr. HUNTER is now the preacher in charge.
The postmasters, in order of service, were Samuel PARK, W. H. WALTERS, J. B. DICKEY, J. F. SHANNON, Samuel THOMPSON, Thomas MARSHALL, D. B. WILSON, J. E. BOGGS, and the present incumbent--T. M. MARSHALL. In November, 1882, the postal authorities changed the name to Mars. The fire of September 18, 1892, originated in the William BOWSER building and destroyed that, with the houses owned by J. B. CONLIN, W. J. GILLILAND and J. D. MARSHALL. The merchants of the village are Dr. J. C. BARR, drugs; W. D. BOYD, lumber; J. E. GRAHAM, general stock; IRVINE Brothers, furniture; JORDAN & Company, general stock; W. J. LINK, coal; J. D. MARSHALL, general stock; and T. H. MILES, restaurant. The estimated population of the village in 1894 was 350, showing a remarkable advance since 1890.
Valencia, a hamlet near the south line of the township, was surveyed for Dr. S. O. STERRETT and named by him. It contains at present the general stores of J. A. & W. F. ANDERSON, A. L. COOPER and Dr. S. O. STERRETT, and the agricultural implement store and coal yards of J. C. BARR.
Myoma is a small village, unpretentious in its buildings, but yet the center of a rich agricultural section. The mercantile houses of H. H. BERRINGER and C. B. IRVINE, who took the place of J. C. DAVIDSON; W. W. WILSON's blacksmith shop; Rev. Mr. SHIMP's church and the school-house, with a number of dwelling houses, constitute the village. The postoffice is administered by Mr. BERRINGER.
Downeyville is the name given to a hamlet in this township, near the Allegheny county line.
Callery, at the junction of the Butler branch and Pittsburg and Western railroads, was named in honor of the president of the railroad company and dedicated as a railroad town. A postoffice was established in 1880, with A. M. BEERS as postmaster. His wife, Emma J. BEERS, succeeded him, and then came John F. SHANNON in 1888, whose successor, J. M. LITTLE, was appointed July 10, 1894. Before the close of March, 1883, William GILLILAND sold several lots at Callery, among the buyers being P. H. MURRAY, Alexander BLAIR, A. M. BEERS, T. M. MARSHALL and F. C. MEEDER, who erected buildings there in April, even before the railroad depot was completed. The MEEDER House was opened in July and the beginning of the village really made. The fire of October 29, 1892, destroyed the dwellings of L. GODDARD, B. BEERS, J. CASHDOLLAR, Mrs. HARKLESS, A. FOOTZ and T. KANE; the hotels of W. H. WHITE, H. MATERS and Van BOISE; the stores of James LITTLE and W. SHANNON; MURRAY's restaurant, and the railroad depot and freight house, the total loss being placed at about $25,000. Of this sum the Glade Mills Mutual Fire Insurance Company paid about $7,000, and other companies about an equal amount, so that, notwithstanding the protection offered by insurance, the people of the town lost heavily in property and time. The rebuilding was slow and sure. By the fall of 1893 several new buildings were completed. The depot was about the first to rise out of the debris. The business interests of Callery in 1894 were CARRUTHERS, PETERS & Company, machinists and blacksmiths; M. J. GODDARD, coal; John F. SHANNON and J. H. [p. 446] THOMAS, general stores, and H. B. HUNT, restaurant. Pool rooms, hotels and all the trades that go to make up a little railroad town are found here. It is also the center of a busy oil field, and quite an important shipping point.
[End of Chapter 32 - Adams Township: History of Butler County Pennsylvania, R. C. Brown Co., Publishers, 1895]Previous Chapter 31--Cranberry Township
13 Nov 2000, 14:06