The Conestoga Area Historical Society
These are images not located in our area but that are of interest.
1. The Alms House The Lancaster County Alms (Poor) House.
2. This Columbia-Wrightsville Bridge is the one burned in June, 1863, just prior to the battle of Gettysburg.
3. The image of the Hans Herr house was taken before the house was repaired and established as a museum.
4. The Lancaster County jail house was located where the Fulton Opera House now stands, and is the location where the last of the Conestoga Indians were killed by the Paxton Boys in 1763.
5. Lancaster County Jail House, same as above, but a colorized version by James Melton.
6. The Brick Mennonite Church was the first church used by the earliest settlers of this area.
7. The Woolworth Building Frank Woolworth's first successful store was in Lancaster, this isn't it, this more elaborate building demonstrates his success.
8. If you're not confused by all the Pequeas, here is a third. In the early part of the 18th century the area in Salisbury Twp. near the Chester County line was also known as Pequea because its the headwaters of the Pequea Creek. There was a Pequea Presybterian Church in that area as well as a Pequea Episcopal Church, known in modern times as St. John's but listed as Pequea, Pa. in this postcard.
Pequea Episcopal Church
Return to CAHS Index Page