One of California's finest examples of an early twentieth-century revival house is the Gallagher House, the official site of the Society. Built in 1895 by Jonathan Winnet Jennings, a Methodist minister, the house was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in March of 1996. the Gallagher family acquired the house in 1930 when Charles Gallagher was the general superintendent of the Allied Chemical Corporation at Newell. In 1993, his descendants generously donated the property to the Historical Society.
Stll architecturally intact, the house features stained glass fleur-de-lis sidelights and original wrought iron chandeliers in the front entrance. Tall pairs of pocket doors open into north and south parlors where fireplace mantels are adorned in classical details on the first floor. The central hall stair leads to the second floor where the history library, archives room, and office area are located. Cherry and quarter-sawn oak pattern woodwork and mission-style mantles enhance the rooms, once used as bedrooms and a nursery. A winding stair leads to the attic.
The building is reserved for use by scholars of California and Washington County history and houses collections of history, genealogies, and research materials.
THE GALLAGHER HOUSE