Home |Photos TOC |

Webster Griffith Sawmill

Located at "Griffytown" on Expedite Road, Blacklick Township

Webster Griffith Sawmill

Cardiff Area, Blacklick Township -1910: This sepia-tone post card, from the collection of William L. Martin, shows a most unusual family portrait, Webster G. Griffith, members of his family and perhaps some employees, all dressed in their Sunday best, atop piles of newly sawed boards. Contrary to what some people think, mining was not the reason for the creation of settlements in parts of Blacklick Township. Farming and timbering were its main industries at the turn of the century. Webster Griffith operated this saw mill in the Cardiff area from 1905 until 1923. This card was postally used May 17, 1910 and canceled at Nettleton. The mill operation was located at "Griffeytown" or Griffith Town as some call it. It is obvious how the area got its name. The actual mill was located at the site of the Emil Isaacson Jr. residence. There were two ponds located there to run the mill. The ponds were filled by Mr. Isaacson and are now his back yard. The "race way" from the stream to where the ponds were is still in existence. In 1905 the lumber operation was listed at putting out 15,000 feet of lumber daily and in 1906 the mill produced 3.5 million board feet. Mr. Griffith had five miles of railroad covering 3-4 square miles. The railroad had 42 gauge rails with one locomotive and six cars. Elisha Mahan was the superintendent. In 1923 the property was sold to a coal mine concern, possibly Cardiff No. 5 was there. There was an air shaft constructed directly across the road from the mill property. Our thanks to Desmond Warzel, a quasi-historian for Blacklick Township who supplied the information. Mr. Griffith was born June 5, 1860 and died in 1928. If you would like more information on him, it can be found in Storays History of Cambria County, copies of which are available at the Cambria County Historical Society and the Nanty Glo Library.

Navigation Tools

Home | Photo TOC | Top of Page |