J. Edward Burns, a prominent business man of Nanty Glo and a well known and substantial citizen of his community, was born at Tunnelhill, Cambria County, Aug. 21, 1879, and is a son of John and Catherine (Bollinger) Burns.
John Burns, deceased, was a veteran of the Civil war. He was born in County Mayo, Ireland, the son of Matthew Burns. The family emigrated to this county at an early date and settled at Hollidaysburg, Pa., where John Burns was employed in the steel mills. He served throughout the Civil war in the Pennsylvania Cavalry. After the close of the war Mr. Burns worked in the mines at Gallitzin. He died in June, 1922, and his wife died in 1914. They are buried in St. Patrick's Cemetery, Gallitzin. Mr. Burns was a Republican, held several township offices, was a member of the Catholic church and the Grand Army of the Republic. To Mr. and Mrs. Burns five children were born: Mary, the widow of James Fraizer, lives at Gallitzin; Anna, deceased; J. Edward, the subject of this sketch; James and Margaret, both deceased.
After completing his schooling at Tunnelhill, J. Edward Burns worked in the mines. He later entered the employ of the Pennsylvania Railroad and worked as a brakeman between Altoona and Pittsburgh. In 1906 he went to Twin Rocks, Pa., where he spent four years in the employ of the Commercial Coal Company as assistant mine foreman. He then removed to Nanty Glo and served as assistant mine foreman for the Lincoln Coal Company until April, 1913, when he was appointed superintendent of the company. Mr. Burns is a director of the Peoples Building and Loan Association, the Union Bank of Nanty Glo, and is general manager and treasurer of the Cambria Supply Company.
In 1901 Mr. Burns was united in marriage with Miss Ella Groome, the daughter of John and Marva (Brophy) Groome, natives of Blair County, Pa., and both now deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Burns have three children: Margaret, at home; Francis Herbert, attends St. Francis College; and Michael Edward, at home.
Politically Mr. Burns is a Republican. He has served as councilman of Nanty Glo and as road supervisor of Blacklick Township. He is a member of St. Mary's Catholic Church and the Knights of Columbus, Ebensburg.
Source: Gable, John E., "History of Cambria County Pennsylvania in Two Volumes Illustrated, Volume Two," Historical Publishing Company, Topeka - Indianapolis, 1926, p. 116.