July 17, 1949. Dr. William Albert Prideaux of the coal mining village of Twin Rocks, recently completed 50 years of practice as a country doctor. He was honored at the annual meeting of the 11th Councilor District of the Pennsylvania Medical Society at the Somerset Country Club for his outstanding work. A plaque was presented to the veteran. Dr. Prideaux, a native of Clearfield County, who opened his practice in 1899.
Dr. Prideaux is buried in Lloyd Cemetery, Ebensburg, PA.
Dr. W. A. Prideaux, who has practiced his profession at Expedit
for almost 20 years, ranks among Cambria County's prominent physicians
and surgeons. He was born at Smith Mill, Clearfield County, Pa.,
February 7, 1873, and is the son of Thomas A. and Margaret (Houseman)
Thomas A. Prideaux, who lives retired at Ebensburg, is a native of England. When he was 18 months of age his parents left their home in Devonshire, emigrated to the United States and settled in Philadelphia. He was educated there and for a number of years engaged in teaching school. He later conducted a general mercantile and drug business at Janesville, Pa., and retired in 1918. He has since lived at Ebensburg. Mr. Prideaux served throughout the Civil War as a lieutenant and was instrumental in raising one of the companies of Bedford County, which became part of the Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. He has been a life long Republican and served as a school director of the schools of Gulich Township, Clearfield County. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, of which he has served as elder for many years. Margaret (Houseman) Prideaux was born in Blair County, Pa., and died in January, 1926. She is buried at Ebensburg. Mr. Prideaux is a 32nd degree Mason, a member of the Jaffa Temple and Shrine Club, Altoona. To Mr. And Mrs. Prideaux five children were born: Grace, married David Slagle, lives at Johnstown; W.A., the subject of this sketch; Minnie, deceased, was the wife of Robert Lytle, who lives at Johnstown; Dr. Henry T., physician and surgeon, lives at Cresson, Pa; and Audrey, deceased.
Dr. W.A. Prideaux received his early education in the schools of Janesville and attended Juniata College. He was graduated from the Medico-Chirurgical College, Philadelphia, in 1899, and until 1907 engaged in practice at Cherry Tree, Pa. He has since been located at Expedit. Dr. Prideaux is resident physician for the Commercial Coal Company, Big Bend Coal Company, Jackson Coal Company, Bethel Coal Company, and Blacklick Collier Company. He is a director of the Miners & Merchants Bank of Nanty Glo.
In 1901 Dr. Prideaux was united in marriage with Miss Anna M. Grumbling, the daughter of C.A. and Nancy (Dorning) Grumbling, natives of Indiana County, Pa. Mr. Grumbling resides at Cherry Tree. His wife is deceased. To Doctor and Mrs. Prideaux have been born five children: Evelyn, married to H. Smith, lives at Expedit, where he is assistant engineer of the Commercial Coal Company; William, student at Washington-Jefferson College; Catherine, Mary, and Martha Dorning, all students.
Dr. Prideaux is identified with Cambria County Medical Society, Pennsylvania State Medical Association, American Medical Association, Pancoast Society of Philadelphia and Philadelphia School of Anatomy. He is a Republican, a member of the Presbyterian Church, a 32nd degree Mason, Williamsport Consistory, Jaffa Temple and Shrine Club of Altoona, and is affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Cherry Tree. He is a capable physician and surgeon and is recognized as one of the leaders of his profession.
Source: Gable, John E., "History of Cambria County Pennsylvania in Two Volumes Illustrated, Volume Two," Historical Publishing Company, Topeka - Indianapolis, 1926, p. 1004.
Approximately 50 persons attended a dedication ceremony of
the William A. Prideaux Community Park in Twin Rocks Saturday
evening, May 29.
Joining the residents of the community for the ceremony, sponsored by the Twin Rocks Women's Club, were members of the family of the late Dr. William A. Prideaux, for whom the park was named.
Women's Club president Catherine Isaacson stated the park was a project of the club and became a reality largely through the cooperation of the Blacklick Township Supervisors who leveled the ground, planted grass, installed sidewalks, park benches and a flag pole. Flowers in the flag pole area were planted by club members.
Selection of the park's name was made in a contest sponsored by the women's club.
Reflecting on the 54 years of practice of the country doctor who came to Twin Rocks in 1907, the club president told those attending the ceremony that Dr. Prideaux estimated he had extracted a bushel of teeth, delivered 4,000 babies and traveled 350,000 miles over back roads to care for the sick during his practice of medicine in Twin rocks, and wore out 10 horses and 28 cars in his 54 years medical practice.
Dr. Prideaux became a member of the Blacklick Township School Board in 1911 and served until his death on May 7, 1953. He served 37 consecutive years as president of the board, served a term as president of the Cambria County Association of School Directors and was a director of the Miners and Merchants Bank of Nanty Glo.
Members of his family who attended the ceremony included a daughter, Mary Prideaux Blackman and two grandsons and their families William Prideaux Smith, M.D., who is practicing in Ebensburg, and Frederick R. Smith, D.D.S., of Confluence.
Girl Scouts conducted the flag raising and led group singing. Closing prayer was offered by George Hoffman. (The Nanty Glo Journal, Nanty Glo, PA, June 9, 1976)