John C. Dunlap is an enterprising business man of Expedit, where he is manager of the Big Bend Supply Company. He was born at Pine Grove Mills, Center County, Pa., Nov. 29, 1883, and is the son of S. A. and Elizabeth (Gummo) Dunlap.
S. A. Dunlap was born in Center County, Pa., Jan. 4, 1851, the son of John and Catherine (Rhoades) Dunlap, both deceased. S. A. Dunlap was a carpenter by trade and engaged in the general contracting business for many years. He died Nov. 15, 1922, and is buried at Pine Grove Mills, Pa. His widow resides at that place. She was born at Waddell, Center County, Pa., March 1, 1856, the daughter of Charles and Catherine (Dart) Gummo, natives of Germany and early settlers of Waddell, Pa. Mr. Gummo served with the Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry throughout the Civil War. To S. A. and Elizabeth (Gummo) Dunlap eight children were born, as follows: Grace, deceased: Leah, lives at home, a graduate nurse of Norristown State Hospital; Catherine, lives at home; John C., the subject of this sketch; George, a merchant, lives at Pine Grove Mills, Pa.; Randall, a merchant lives at Cherry Creek Pa.; Edith, lives at home; and Ralph, who died Oct. 12, 1918, while serving in France during the World War as a member of Company A, 107th Machine Gun Battalion, 28th Division. He is buried at Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
John C. Dunlap spent his boyhood at Pine Grove Mills and attended the public schools there. He attended Williamsport Business College, after which he became associated with the Central Trading Corporation at Amy Run as a bookkeeper. He later went to St. Benedict, Pa., where he was employed by the Carrolltown Coal Company. He then served as credit man for the Colver Stove Company at Colver, Pa., and in 1917 accepted his present position at Expedit.
In October, 1921, Mr. Dunlap was married to Miss Agnes Hunter,
the daughter of Alexander and Jean (McEwen) Hunter, natives of
Scotland, and both now deceased.
Politically Mr. Dunlap is a Democrat and he is serving his second term as a member of the school board. He holds membership in the Royal Areanum, Barnesboro.
Source: Gable, John E., "History of Cambria County Pennsylvania in Two Volumes Illustrated, Volume Two," Historical Publishing Company, Topeka - Indianapolis, 1926, p. 1129.