D. D. McHugh, justice of the peace, is a leading and highly esteemed citizen of Expedit. He is a native of Cambria County, born at Gallitzin, Jan. 29, 1874, the son of A. J. and Margaret (Bradley) McHugh. A. J. McHugh, deceased, was a native of Bedford County, Pa. At an early age he became interested in mining as manager of a small mine for John Fulton at Broad Top, Pa. He later became general superintendentof the Kittaning Coal Company at Gallitzin, after which he removed to Dubois, Pa., where he established the first branch of the Bell-Lewis & Yates Coal Company. For about three years Mr. McHugh owned and operated a mine in Missouri, and in 1892 returned to Pennsylvania, where he became associated with Charles McFadden, at Twin Rocks, as general manager of the Black Lick Coal Company. He was living retired at the time of his death, April 9, 1923. Mr. McHugh was a Republican and a member of the Catholic Church. His wife, who was born in Lancaster County, Pa., died Aug. 17, 1876, and is buried at Clearfield, Pa. Mr. McHugh is buried at Altoona. Thirteen children were born to A. J. and Margaret (Bradley) McHugh: (1) Mary, the widow of George Barlett, lives with her brother, D. D. McHugh, and she had three children: Arthur James, deceased; Dudley, served during the World war with the Two Hundred Twelfth Engineers, lives at Broughton, Pa.; and Dessie, married Robert Peterson, lives at Expedit; (2) Miles, lives at Nanty Glo; (3) Ellen, deceased; (4) J. N., lives at Birmingham, Ala.; (5) H. C., lives retired at Expedit; (6) D. D., the subject of this sketch; (7) John, deceased; (8) William, deceased; (9) Frank, lives at Altoona, Pa.; (10) Amelia, married John Land, lives in Pittsburgh; (11) Annabel, lives in Pittsburgh, where she is a nurse in St. Joseph's Hospital; and two children died in infancy.
D. D. McHugh was reared and educated at Gallitzin and attended
a mining school in Missouri. He was associated in business with
his father continuously until 1921, when he organized the Expedit
Coal Company for Charles McFadden, Jr., of which he served as
superintendent. In 1922 Mr. McHugh resigned from this position
in order to serve as justice of the peace. He is now serving his
second term in that office.
In 1895 Mr. McHugh was married to Miss Elsie Bush, the daughter of Leander and Mollie (Hicks) Bush, natives of Clearfield County. Mr. Bush served during the Civil war and was held captive in Andersonville prison for three months. He engaged in farming in Cambria County for a number of years and was later interested in the real estate business at Belle Vernon, Pa., where he died. His widow resides at that place. Elsie (Bush) McHugh died Aug. 10, 1913, and is buried in Holy Name Cemetery, Ebensburg. To Mr. and Mrs. McHugh seven children were born: Arthur, deceased; Mollie, married Leo Goss, lives at Expedit, and has a daughter, Elsie; Charles, deceased; D. D., Jr., lives at Expedit; John and Ella, both at home; and Amelia, a student at Mt. Gallitzin Academy. Mr. McHugh is a Democrat and a member of St. Charles Catholic Church. He has an extensive acquaintance in the community and is favorably known.
Source: Gable, John E., "History of Cambria County Pennsylvania in Two Volumes Illustrated, Volume Two," Historical Publishing Company, Topeka - Indianapolis, 1926.