Edward Smith is an enterprising merchant of Nanty Glo, engaged in the meat and grocery business. He was born in Jackson Township, Cambria County, April 17, 1878, and is a son of Emanuel and Molly (McBride) Smith.
Emanuel Smith, deceased, was a veteran of the Civil war. He was born at Wellsville, Ohio, where he began life as a farmer. Upon his arrival in Cambria County he worked in the mines, but after the close of the Civil war engaged in general farming and stock raising on 43 acres of land in Jackson Township. He was a Republican and a member of the United Brethren Church. Mr. Smith served throughout the Civil war and was wounded during the battle of Gettysburg. He was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic at Ebensburg. He died Nov. 12, 1906, and his wife, a native of Clearfield County, Pa., died April 28, 1910. They are buried at Mundy's Corners, Cambria County. Mr. and Mrs. Smith were the parents of 10 children, as follows: Florence, married William Page, lives at Johnstown; Catherine, deceased, was the wife of D. Kemerer, lives at Nanty Glo; Harold, deceased; Elizabeth, married Charles Stiffler, lives at Nanty Glo; Bernard F., deceased; Edward, the subject of this sketch; Anna, twin sister of Edward, married Fred Bitorf, lives at Vintondale; Letty, married Benjamin Teeter, lives at Southmont, Pa.; Harvey, lives at Mineral Point, Pa.; and William.
Edward Smith received his education in the schools of Jackson Township and when a young man worked in the mines. He later was employed by the Pennsylvania Railroad and in 1896 engaged in the livery business in Blacklick township, Cambria County, having purchased the business of Merton Davis. Two years later he disposed of it to Joseph Shoemaker, and went to Summerhill, Pa., where he engaged in the same business for five years. He then operated the Summerhill House for a year, after which he removed to Jackson township, and in 1904 engaged in the wholesale liquor business at Nanty Glo with Charles Murphy, having purchased the business of George C. Eichensier. Mr. Smith conducted this business until 1911, when Judge Stephens refused to renew licenses in Jackson Township. Mr. Smith then conducted a livery business at Nanty Glo until 1919, when he disposed of it to Frank Altimous. He has conducted his meat business since 1914, and also handles a complete line of high-grade groceries. Mr. Smith was one of the organizers of the Jackson Light, Heat and Power Company and served as its president for two years. The company was later consolidated with the Pennsylvania Central Service Company. On Feb. 20, 1901, Mr. Smith was married to Miss Minnie Jones, the daughter of David H. and Margaret (Morgan) Jones. Mr. Jones was born at Danville, Pa., and died Sept. 10, 1919. His widow was born in Wales, and resides at Luzerne, Pa. They were the parents of 10 children: Margaret, married Edward Jones, lives at Huntingdon, Pa.; Jennie, married Richard Blight, lives at Luzerne, Pa.; Mrs. Smith; Thomas, William, David, and Eva, all decreased; Lewis, lives at New Kensington, Pa.; Jessie, lives at Luzerne; and Roy, deceased. To Edward and Minnie (Jones) Smith three children were born: Edna, married William Dunmier, lives at Detroit, Mich.; Elva, a graduate of Nanty Glo High School and Rowe Business College, lives in Johnstown; and Carl E., engaged in business with his father.
Mr. Smith is a Republican, a member of the United Brethren
Church, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Knights of Pythias,
Moose and Elks lodges. He has an extensive acquaintance in Cambria
County and stands high in the community.
Source: Gable, John E., "History of Cambria County Pennsylvania in Two Volumes Illustrated, Volume Two," Historical Publishing Company, Topeka - Indianapolis, 1926, p. 1161.