Home |Bio/Obit TOC|
Edwards Family
Lewis L., Elias, John L. & Thomas L.

LEWIS L. EDWARDS, late of Cambria township, and the founder of the Edwards family in Cambria county, Pennsylvania, is of Welsh birth and parentage, born in county Mereventh, North Wales, in March 1816.

He learned sheep-herding, and pursued that craft in his native country until 1842, when he emigrated to the United States. His brother, Robert Edwards, having preceded him to this country, settled upon a farm in Cambria township, nine miles north of Ebensburg, where he became a prosperous and successful farmer. Mr. Edwards was employed as a dayhand by his brother Robert and others in the neighborhood until after his marriage in 1843, when he engagcd in farming and lumbering in Cambria township. Carefully husbanding the profits of his business, he purchased, in 1850, a farm of one hundred acres in Black Lick township, upon which he resided the remainder of his life. Subsequently he purchased one hundred more acres, and soon afterwards purchased six hundred acres of timber land, owning, at the time of his demise, eight hundred acres of valuable land.

Mr. Edwards' only stock in trade when he landed in America was the ability and willingness to work; but by careful and economical habits, good sound judgment and industry, he acquired an ample competence, and the latter yrears of his life were spent in practical retirement, enjoying the comforts and ease of a prosperous and successful business career. He passed away November 9, 1888, universally loved and lamented.

He was a prominent member of the Calvinistic Methodist church, and served that organization as deacon for many years. He was also a life member of the American Bible society. Politically, he was formerly a whig; but upon the organization of the Republican party in 1856, he espoused its cause and principles, which he advocated the remainder of his life. He believed in the education of the masses, and served as a member of the school board of his township many years.

He married Mrs. Ann Davis, nee James, in 1843, and became the father of six children: Elias and John L. whose sketches will follow; Ebenezer; Edward; Thomas L., whose sketch will also follow; and Robert. Mrs. Lewis L. Edwards was born in Llanbeder, South Wales. She came to America in 1836, locating in Pittsburg. Her family was Quaker stock. She was preceded to this country by two brothers, early in 1800; one settled at Chippewa Falls, in Canada, and Ebenezer located in Philadelphia, where he became a prosperous merchant and newspaper man. He was editor and proprietor of the Philadelphia Tribune, a strong anti-slavery organ.

This branch of the Edwards family did their patriotic duty in the late Civil War, four of the sons serving in that conflict. They were David H., who served through the entire conflict, was a sharpshooter in the Sixty-first regiment, Pennsylvania volunteers, and was the best shot of his regiment; William, of the Eleventh regiment, volunteers, lost his life in the service; Joshua served during the latter part of the service; and Elias, who entered the latter part of the service.

Lewis L. Edwards, before coming to America, had charge of two thousand sheep on one of the highest mountains of Wales, the Avan Fywddn, and was noted for his fleetness of foot. An incident of his early experience in this country is given to show the pioneer condition of Cambria county even as late as 1853. He went into the woods to get a piece of timber for a sled runner, and, while seeking for a suitable stick, lost his bearings and became lost; he wandered on and on several miles before conning to a house, and did not get back to his home that night. The family becoming alarmed, aroused the neighborhood the next day, and they started out in search of him, and found him with his friends of the previous night on his way hone. So delighted were they to find him that they bore him on their shoulders to his own home and family.

ELIAS EDWARDS a prosperous and well-to-do farmer of Black Lick township, Cambria county, this State, is a son of Lewis L. and Mrs. Anna Davis (nee James) Edwards, and was born in Cambria township, this county, October 11, 1844.

He was reared upon a farm, and has followed agricultural pursuits, together with lumbering, all his life. In 1870 he bought a farm, covering one hundred and fifty acres, and he has added to it by purchase, until he now owns five hundred acres, situated in Black Lick township, one hundred of which is cleared and under a good state of cultivation; the remainder is covered with first-class timber.

Near the close of the late Civil War, on February 25, 1865, Mr. Edwards enlisted in the Federal army at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in company H, One Hundred and Ninety-second regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer infantry, and served until August 25, 1865, when he was honorably discharged at Harper's Ferry, Virginia.

He is a member of John M. Jones Post, No. 556, G. A. R., at Ebensburg, and is a republican in politics. His marriage with Eliza J. Davis, a daughter of the late Thomas Davis, of Black Lick township, was celebrated October 19, 1870. To this marriage seven children have been born: Elizabeth and Rowland are both deceased; Clark, Ebenezer, Thomas, Stanley and May are at home with their parents.

 

JOHN L. EDWARDS ex-postmaster of Belsano, Cambria county, and a leading business man of near that place, is a son of Lewis L. and Mrs. Anna Davis (nee James) Edwards, and was born in Cambria township, this county, September 18, 1846.

He was reared upon a farm and educated in the public schools. In 1868, he located upon a farm near Nicktown, this county, and cultivated that farm three and one-half years. Subsequent to this he followed blacksmithing eight years at Belsano, and then located upon a farm near Belsano in Black Lick township, and has resided there since, engaged in agricultural pursuits, lumbering, etc. He is an extensive land-owner, owning in all four hundred acres of improved land and six hundred acres of timber land, all underlaid with coal and minerals. He also owns seven acres in the village of Belsano, which is well improved, having a good house and other buildings upon it. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, of which he has been steward and trustee eighteen years. Politically he is a republican, and served as postmaster of Belsano, from 1871 to 1879. He has also been assessor and auditor of his township.

Fraternally, he is a member of Summit Lodge, No. 512, F. and A. M:; Belsano Council, No. 182, Jr. O. U. A. M., which latter lodge lie served as treasurer in 1894-'95- '96.

March 26, 1866 he married Eliza J., a daughter of Edward Thomas, by whom he has seven children: Walter, on the old homestead; William, in California; Minnie B., the wife of Frank Amond, of Vintondale; Morton, a teacher in the public schools of Black Lick township; Vinton, Oscar and Bertha at home.

THOMAS L. EDWARDS, farmer, stock raiser and dealer, of Blacklick township, this county, is a son of Lewis L. and Mrs. Ann Davis (nee James) Edwards, and was born in the northeastern part of Blacklick township, May 7, 1852.

Mr. Edwards was brought up on a farm, and has always followed farming and lumbering. In 1887, he purchased the old home farm of two hundred acres of fertile and well improved land, upon which he resides. This farm is well adapted to grazing, and he makes a specialty of stock-raising. He also deals extensively in stock, shipping sheep to Philadelphia and other eastern markets. He is a republican in politics, and has served as a member of the school board six years. Religiously, he is a member of the Calvinistic Methodist church, and has served as deacon, trustee arid treasurer of the church.

On January 25, 1877, Mr. Edwards and Miss Jane E. Williams, a daughter of Rowland E. Williams, of Pine township, Indiana county, Pennsylvania, were married, and to them have been born six children: Milton, died January 11, 1881, aged three years; Rowland, Benton, Lawrence, Samuel and Martha Pearl.

Source: Biographical and Portrait Cyclopedia of Cambia County.

Lewis L. Edwards


Lewis L. Edwards, deceased, was a highly esteemed citizen of Blacklick Township and the founder of the Edwards family in Cambria County. He was of Welsh birth and parentage, born in the County of Mereventh, North Wales, in March, 1816. He was a sheep-herder in his native land and was thus engaged until the time of his emigration to the United States in 1842. His brother, Robert Edwards, preceded him to this country and settled on a farm in Cambria Township, nine miles north of Ebensburg, where he became a prosperous and successful farmer. Mr. Edwards was employed as a day hand by his brother, Robert, and others in the neighborhood until after his marriage in 1843, when he engaged in farming and lumbering in Cambria Township. He carefully saved the profits from his business and in 1850 purchased a farm of 100 acres in Blacklick Township, upon which he spent the remainder of his life. He added to his land holdings until he was the owner of 800 acres of valuable land.

Mr. Edwards' only asset when he arrive in America was his ability and willingness to work, and by careful and economical habits, good sound judgment and industry, he acquired an ample competence, and the latter years of his life were spent in practical retirement, enjoying the comforts and ease of a prosperous and successful business career. He died Nov. 9, 1888.

Mr. Edwards was a prominent member of the Calvanistic Methodist Church, and served that organization as deacon for many years. He was also a life member of the American Bible Society. Politically he was formerly a Whig, but after the organization of the Republican party in 1856 he espoused its cause and principles, which he advocated the remainder of his life. He believed in the education of the masses, and served as a member of the school board of his township for many years.

Lewis L. Edwards married Mrs. Ann Davis, nee James, in 1843, and to them the following children were born: Elias, farmer and civil engineer, died in November, 1911; John L., lives at Belsano, Pa.; Ebenezer, died November, 1924; Edward; Thomas L., who died Oct. 25, 1922, mention of whom is made below; and Robert. Mrs. Lewis L. Edwards was born in Llanbeder, South Wales. She came to America in 1836 and located in Pittsburgh. Her family was Quaker stock. She was preceded to this country by two brothers early in 1800. One settled in Chippewa Falls, Canada; and Ebenezer located in Philadelphia, where he became a prosperous merchant and newspaper man. He was editor and owner of the Philadelphia Tribune, a strong anti-slavery organ.

This branch of the Edwards family did their patriotic duty in the Civil war, four of the sons serving in that conflict. They were: David H., a sharpshooter in the 61st Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and the best shot of his regiment; William, of the 11th Regiment, lost his life in the service; Joshua, served during the latter part of the war; and Elias, who also served during the latter part of the war.
Lewis L. Edwards, before coming to America, had charge of two thousand sheep on one of the highest mountains in Wales, the Avan Fywddn, and was noted for his fleetness of foot. An incident of his early experience in this country is given to show the pioneer condition of Cambria County even as late as 1853. He went into the woods to get a piece of timber for a sled runner, and while seeking for a suitable stick he became confused and lost his bearings. He wandered on for several miles before coming to a house, and did not reach his home until the following day. His family had become alarmed, roused the neighborhood, and went in search of him. So delighted were they to find him that they bore him on their shoulders to his home. Thomas L. Edwards, deceased, was well and favorably known in Cambria County. He was born in Blacklick Township, Cambria County, and spent his boyhood on his father's farm. In 1887 he purchased the old home farm of 200 acres of fertile and well improved land, which was well adapted to grazing, and he made a specialty of stock raising. He was also an extensive shipper of sheep, shipping to Philadelphia and other Eastern markets. In 1903 he moved to Indiana, Pa., and engaged in the real estate business there until his death, Oct. 25, 1922.

On Jan. 25, 1877, Mr. Edwards was united in marriage with Miss Jane E. Williams, a daughter of Rowland D. Williams, of Pine Township, Indiana County, Pa. To them were born seven children, as follows: Milton, died Jan. 11, 1881, at the age of three years; Benton T., lives at Ebensburg; T. Lawrence, a sketch of whom appears in this history; Samuel, lives at Ebensburg; Martha, lives at Indiana, Pa.; and Alma Caroline, married J. Blair Muffley, a mining engineer associated with the Bethlehem Mines Corporation, Heilwood, Pa.

Mr. Edwards was a Republican. He was a member of the Calvanistic Methodist Church and served as a deacon, trustee, and as treasurer of the church. At the time of his death he was a member of the First Presbyterian Church at Indiana, Pa.

T. Lawrence Edwards, Jr., is a representative business man and prominent citizen of Ebensburg, where he is identified with the Edwards Hardware Company. He was born on a farm in Blacklick township, Cambria County, and is the son of Thomas L. and Jane E. (Williams) Edwards. A complete biography of the Edwards family appears elsewhere in this history.

T. Lawrence Edwards, Jr., was reared and educated in Blacklick Township. From 1903 until 1913 he lived at Indiana, Pa., after which he located in Ebensburg. While a resident of Indiana he attended Indiana Normal School. Mr. Edwards organized the Edwards Hardware Company in 1913, in partnership with his brother, Benton T. Edwards. They are extensive dealers in builders' supplies and farm implements, and also carry a complete line of sporting goods. They are representatives of the Majestic and Century gas ranges and deal in furniture also. This popular business house is known as "the store for everybody. Mr. Edwards is a Republican and holds membership in the First Presbyterian Church.

Source: Gable, John E., "History of Cambria County Pennsylvania in Two Volumes Illustrated, Volume Two," Historical Publishing Company, Topeka - Indianapolis, 1926, p. 770.

 

 

Navigation Tools

Home | Bio/Obit TOC | Top of Page |