PHILIP H. JONES, a prosperous and influential farmer and lumber dealer of Blacklick township, this county, is a son of Edward and Sarah (Price) Jones, and was born in Blacklick township, July 28, 1841. His father, Edward Jones, was born near Newtown, Montgomeryshire, Wales, where he was reared and educated. He emigrated to America about 1829, locating first in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. About 1831 he removed to Cambria county and purchased land in Blacklick township, where he cleared a farm and followed the avocation of a farmer the remainder of his life. Before leaving Wales, he married Miss Sarah Price, and their union was blessed in the birth of nine children, of whom Philip H., the subject of this memoir, is the youngest. Mr. Jones, Sr., died on his farm in 1877. Philip H. Jones was reared on the farm, and received his education in the common schools of his township. Being reared on a farm, he naturally took to farming as a means of securing a livelihood. He is a progressive and extensive farmer, owning a farm of three hundred acres in Blacklick township, of which one hundred acres are cleared, the remainder in timber, and a farm of one hundred and forty-three acres in Jackson township. He has for a number of years been extensively engaged in the lumber business, in connection with which he has a water-mill on his farm, and owns one-half interest in., a steam saw and shingle mill in Blacklick township. In this line of business he has shown rare good judgment and business tact, and has pursued it with more than an ordinary degree of success.
June 12, 1861, he gave up the life of a farmer for that of a soldier, and enlisted in the defense of the imperilled liberties of his country. He entered company A, Eleventh regiment, Pennsylvania Reserve infantry, and served three years. The following is a list of battles in which he participated: battle of Cold Harbor; then he was taken prisoner at Gaines' Mills, and sent to Richmond and Belle Isle, where he remained from June 23, 1862, until August 8, 1862. His next engagement was the second battle of Bull Run; then followed Gettysburg, White Hall Church, Mine Run, battle of the Wilderness, Spottsylvania Court House, Fountain Farm and Bethesda Church. Although wounded slightly several times, he was never off duty on account of his injuries. He received his discharge at Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, June 12, 1864. He is a member of the Emory Fisher Post, No. 30, at Johnstown, this county, and of Council No. 182, Jr. O. U. A. M, and is an influential member of the Farmers' Grange of this county. In political opinion he is a republican, and has served for six terms as school director in his township. He served seven years in company A, Fifth regiment, National Guards of Pennsylvania.
July 3, 1871, he married Miss Diana Shoeman, a daughter of
John Shoeman, of Jackson township, and to this union six children
have been born: Jennie and Harry, who were burned to death at
the time of the burning of their home, February 23, 1875; Minnie
M., the wife of Samuel Marks; Rachel, Lucy, and Clara May, all
Source: Biographical and Portrait Cyclopedia of Cambia County.