SAMUEL L. STUVER, an energetic business man and the senior member of the meat and grocery firm of Stuver Brothers, of Coopersdale, is a son of William and Mary (Brallier) Stuver, and was born in Blacklick township, Cambria county, Pennsylvania, June 6, 1859. He is of German descent, his father, William Stuver, being a son of John Stuver, who was born and reared in Germany and became a settler of Northampton county.
William Stuver was born May 26, 1829, received a limited education, such as his neighborhood afforded, and learned the trade of carpenter, which he followed in connection with farming until his death, which occurred at Rosedale, this county, October 15, 1895. He was a good citizen and an industrious man, and was a member and deacon of the Dunkard or German Baptist church. He was a democrat politically, and though not ambitious or desirous of public office yet served one term as school director in Indiana county, having been elected to that office there. A man of rather retiring disposition, but who never shirked a duty or hesitated to act in case of emergency.
Mr. Stuver married Mary Brallier, whose father was Emanuel Brallier, of Cambria county. Mrs. Stuver was born November 20, 1836. Mr. and Mrs. Stuver were the parents of eleven children, six sons and five daughters: Emanuel, in Rawlins, Wyoming; Sylvester, now a resident of Fort Collins, Colorado; Samuel L., the subject of this sketch; Christine, wife of James Kelly, of this county; Charlotte A. E., wife of John E. Rodgers, of Braddock, Pennsylvania; Lucy, wife of Lewis F. Link, of this county; Jacob, who died at fifteen years of age; Mollie married Thomas D. Rager, of Cambria county; William, living at Minersville, this county; Susie, wife of William Keiffer, of Cambria county, and Benjamin, who died in infancy.
Samuel L. Stuver attended the common schools of his native township until received a good business education, and learned the trade of carpenter, which he followed for five years. At the end of that he sought for a line of business in which was a wider field for the exercise of energy and push, and more general contact with the public. He selected the butchering and dairy business, the wisdom of which choice been fully demonstrated in the exceptional success attending his operations.
He opened his meat market in Coopersdale and laid out his milk routes with such good judgment that success and profit were the results. On May 20, 1896, his firm, consisting of himself, his brother William and Fyock opened their present large grocery department, in which a heavy stock of the best and most marketable goods are carried. The building of the extensive business of the firm in its different lines is largely due to Mr. Stuver, whose excellent judgment and push gave an impetus to their enterprise that made it popular and profitable.
On December 24,1878, Samuel L. Stuver married Mary A. Benshoff,
a daughter of Benjamin Benshoff, of Rosedale. To Mr. and Mrs.
Stuver have been born
five sons and four daughters: Irwin E., John Eli, died in infancy; Anna May, Benjamin W., Harry L., Ira Logan, Mary K., Essie Priscilla and E. Rosamond. Mr. Stuver's reading and study of religious matters has led him to connect himself with the Progressive Brethren church, in which he is alike active and useful. He is a republican in politics, has held township offices, but gives his time chiefly to his varied business affairs.
Mr. Stuver in these days of keen competition has won because
he possesses that rare power of concentration so necessary to
achievement, and that inspiration of energy so potent for power.
Desirous of success he has never lost his energy or enthusiasm,
and by his wise decision has always made the best of his opportunities..(Samuel
Wiley's Biographical Cyclopedia, Cambria Co, PA)