WILLIAM R. WILLIAMS, a farmer and timber dealer of near Ebensburg, Cambria county, is a son of Robert and Mary (Rowland) Williams, and was born on the old Williams homestead, three miles west of Ebensburg, in Cambria township, August 11, 1835.
William Williams, grandfather, was born in Wales, but in the year 1800 he left the land of his nativity to seek a home in the New World. He landed in New York city, and thence proceeded to Cambria county, Pennsylvania, and located upon a tract of land situated within three miles of Ebensburg, the county seat of that county. He at once proceeded to clear up a faun and establish a home, in which he was successful. He remained upon the farm until his death which occurred in 1843.
Robert Williams, father, was born in the principality of Wales, on September 28, 1796, and died in Cambria township, April 24, 1869, having passed the greater part of his life there engaged in farming. He was a prosperous and well-to-do farmer, and in addition to the old homestead purchased a tract of timber land of two hundred and sixty acres, upon which he operated a saw-mill for some years. He enlisted in the War of 1812, and was on his way to the front when peace was declared, having gone as far as Cumberland, Maryland. He was a member of the Disciple church, and in early life a whig, but upon the organization of the Republican party, in 1856, became identified with its interests. He filled many local offices, and was regarded as a reliable and trustworthy citizen. In 1825 he married Mary Rowland, a daughter of Ellis Rowland, who was a native of Wales, and who emigrated to America in 1800 settling in Blacklick township, six miles west of Ebensburg, where he passed the remainder of his life upon a farm.
Mr. and Mrs. Williams became the parents of five children: John, a farmer of Wadena county, Minnesota; Anna, died in girlhood; Harriet, the wife of Griffith J. Jones (see his sketch); William R., subject; and Julia A.
William R. Williams and Mary J. McClure, a daughter of James McClure, of Huntingdon county, Pennsylvania, were united in marriage on October 19, 1869, and their union has been blessed in the birth of two children: Emma and Hattie, both of whom are married, the former to B. J. Evans and the latter to M. J. Hughes.
Mr. Williams was reared upon a farm, and has followed the combined
avocations of farming and saw-milling all his life. He owns a
large farm, under a good state of cultivation, and three hundred
acres of valuable timber land. Politically he is a Republican,
and religiously a member of the Disciple church, of which he has
been a deacon for twelve years in succession.
Source: Biographical and Portrait Cyclopedia of Cambia County.