ALEXANDER, GEORGE, Licking p. o., Washington, was born in York county, and was one of the children of William and Nancy Ann Alexander. The family came to the township in 1840, when Mr. Alexander bought 100 acres of land, paying two dollars per acre for it. He married Caroline M., a daughter of Horace R. Peck, of Rochester, N. Y. Their children were William E. and Albert E. William Alexander died in September, 1875; George died in April, 1875. During life George Alexander was one of the most successful farmers of his township. He commenced life poor, but at the time of his death was in comfortable circumstances. His family are now respected members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. William E., the oldest living child, enlisted in 1862 in Company G, One Hundred and Fifty-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and served two years and eleven months.
Alexander, Henry, Callensburg p. o., Licking, was a son of Samuel and Mary (Shirey) Alexander, and was born in Westmoreland county in 1801 and settled in Armstrong county in 1812, worked at farming until he was eighteen years of age. He served an apprenticeship to the carpenter trade, but on account of ill health became engaged in the mercantile business in Monroe township. He settled in Callensburg in 1831, and there opened his general store. He was appointed postmaster in 1832, an office which he held for eighteen years. He was appointed deputy marshal in 1840 to take the census of part of Armstrong and Clarion counties, in which year the first agricultural and manufacturing statistics were taken in the United States. He also served as first lieutenant and major of a regiment. He was engaged in the iron business from 1845 to 1850. He was married in 1836 to Nancy Hays. They had a family of four children -- Elmira P. (Risher), Alvin H., Mary (deceased), Sarah E. (Klingensmith). Mr. Alexander's mother died in 1868, at the age of 104 years, eleven months and two days.
Alsbach, G. W., Scotch Hill p. o., Farmington. The family of George Alsbach came to Scotch Hill, Clarion county, Pa., in the year 1837. In the family were several children, a part of whom were natives of this county. These children were David K., Rachel, Samuel J., John, George W., Aaron W., Levi P., and Oliver P., and of these children all but Levi and Samuel are now living. George W. Alsbach was born on January 29, 1830. At about the age of nineteen years he learned the trade of blacksmithing, a trade which he has since followed. He married Eliza Henry for his first and Eliza Kribbs for his second wife. David K. Alsbach was born on December 30, 1821. He married Lavina Neely. They had a family of four children. John M. Alsbach was born on February 4, 1827, and married Euphemia Bartlett, who bore him three children, and who died in 1862. He then married the widow of his deceased brother Samuel. These brothers are all substantial citizens of Scotch Hill; well-to-do and highly respected, and are all firm Republicans.
Arblaster, G. W., New Bethlehem, was born at East Liverpool, Columbiana county, O., in 1848, and was a son of George R. and Susan Arblaster. George R. was born in Staffordshire, England, and settled in Clover county, Pa., in 1855, where he died in 1880, leaving a widow and six children, all of whom are now living. He was a hollowware manufacturer, and at his death his son George became his successor, in 1881. He largely increased the business and facilities, and in 1886 introduced natural gas in the manufacture of stone ware. He also took into partnership P. W. Boyd, the style of the firm being G. W. Arblaster & Co. The firm are making preparations to go into the manufacture of drain tile and sewer pipe quite extensively. In 1866 G. W. Arblaster married Sarah Rader. They have had one son.
Armstrong, Robert, West Freedom p. o., Perry, was born in Fayette county, and settled in Clarion county in 1868. He married Lydia McLean, and they had a family of nine children. He enlisted in 1862 in the One Hundred and Sixty-eighth Pennsylvania Infantry and served to the close of the war. He is engaged in the oil business, having charge of a number of wells. His parents were James and Mary Ann (Wilson) Armstrong, who had a family of seven children.
Armstrong, Robert C., Knox p. o., Ashland, is a farmer, and was born in Ashland on December 4, 1831. He was a son of Robert and Sarah (Harrold) Armstrong. Robert, sr., was born near Enniskillen, Fermanagh county, Ireland, and settled on the farm which is now owned and occupied by his son Robert C., in 1809, cleared and improved the same, and died in 1854, at the age of seventy-one years. He was a soldier in the war of 1812, and his children were Barbara, Martha, Elizabeth, Margaret, Mary Huldah, Sarah, Jane, Mary A., Susannah, Caroline M., and Robert C. The latter now occupies the old homestead. He was married in 1859 to Priscilla Kribbs, a daughter of John and Elizabeth (Best) Kribbs, of Ashland. Robert C. and Priscilla have had a family of seven children -- Sarah E., Mary J., John W., Robert L., Willia K., Flora L., and Ida May.
Ash, Rev. Jacob, Shannondale p. o., Redbank, the Evangelical Lutheran clergyman of Shannondale Church, was born in Baden, Germany, in 1846, and in 1856 in company with his parents, Urban and Sophia Ash, settled in Chester county, Pa., near Phoenixville. They had a family of eight children -- Levi, William, Rev. Jacob, John, Joanna, Charles, Frederick, and Mary. Jacob in early life learned the blacksmith trade, and afterwards fitted himself for a teacher, and graduated from the Evangelical Lutheran Seminary at Philadelphia in 1876. He was married in 1877 to Annie B. Welty, of Allegheny county. They have had three children -- Lula B., Frank W., and Samuel L.
Ashbaugh, Henry, St. Petersburg p. o., Richland, was born where he now resides, in 1841; is a farmer, and owns a farm of ninety-six acres. His parents were John and Dorothy (Whittling) Ashbaugh. John was born in Westmoreland county, but came to Clarion county at an early day. Henry was married on February 9, 1865, to Susan Eddinger, a daughter of William and Susan (Ditman) Eddinger, of Turkey City, Pa. Henry and Susan have had a family of four children -- William O., John E., Ida M., and Charles E.
Bailey, P. H., West Monterey p. o., Perry, manufacturer and dealer in boots and shoes, and having an extensive business in the oil country; was born in Buffalo, N. Y., in 1848. He was married on September 29, 1851, to Catharine Gates, who died on November 18, 1873, at Shamburg, Venango county. They had four children, two of whom are now living -- Catharine (born April 14, 1868), Elizabeth (born December25, 1869), Peter (born August 31, 1871, and died June 21, 1874), and John (born June 9, 18l3, and died December 12, 1873). Mr. Bailey enlisted in the One Hundred and Sixty-eighth New York Infantry. He is now an enterprising business man, and owner of his residence and store.
Barger, Abraham, West Monterey p. o., Perry, was a son of Jacob and Anna (Lash) Barger, and was born in Clarion county, Pa., in 1827. He married Elizabeth Young, a daughter of David Young. She died in November, 1885, at the age of fifty-eight years. They had a family of six children -- Susan, Isaiah, Mary C., Mansel P., Sarah E., and Jacob F. (deceased). Mr. Barger was in the One Hundred and Sixty-ninth Pennsylvania Infantry. He is now engaged in mining and farming, and owns and occupies a farm of twenty acres.
Barger, Peter, West Freedom p. o., Perry, was a son of Abraham and Elizabeth (Snider) Barger, and was born in Clarion county in 1833. He was married in 1859 to Margaret Jordan. They had a family of six children -- Silas, Siloamus, Priscilla, George, John, and Mary. Mr. Barger is now engaged in farming and mining interests.
Barlett, James Wilson, Scotch Hill p. o., Farmington, was born in this township on October 18, 1848. He was the oldest of four children born to Samuel and Euphemia Barlett, one of the highly respected families of the township. When James was but seven years old his father died, leaving the duties of the farm and household a charge upon his widow. James lived at home until 1863, when his mother died. He then worked on the river and in the lumber woods, and saved some money. With this he educated himself, taking a course of study in a mercantile college. He also worked as a clerk with business houses, and finally became engaged in business with Daniel Steiner at Scotch Hill, which relation has continued over fourteen years. Latterly he has engaged in oil production. Energy and perseverance on his part has been amply rewarded, and to-day he is one of the most respected and successful young business men of the township. Mr. Barlett is a member of the M. E. Church. His wife was Lucinda Jane Magee, whom he married in 1871, and who died in 1886, leaving three children.
Barnes, Elmer, Alum Rock p. o., Licking, a son of Albert Barnes, of Foxburg, was born in New York in 1860, and came to Clarion county in 1876. He was married in 1882 to Anne Ryan. They have had two children -- Harry Albert and Bessie. Mr. Barnes follows the oil business, drilling and tool dressing.
Barnes, John C., New Bethlehem, the artistic photographer of the borough, was born in Allegheny county, Pa., in 1860, and settled in New Bethlehem, Pa., in his profession in 1880, where his rooms are the attraction of the town. He was a son of Simon and Amelia (Kennedy) Barnes. Amelia was born in Clarion county, and her husband Simon was born in Indiana county, Pa., and died in 1865, leaving a widow and four children.
Barnett, Daniel, Knox p. o., Beaver, was born in Beaver township on August 13, 1845; is a farmer, and owns a farm of thirty acres with a coal mine, employing three men. He enlisted on March 31, 1864, in Company E, Seventy-eighth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and served during the war. His parents were Joseph and Mary (Bennett) Barnett. He was married on July 2, 1867, to May Albert Stanford, of Beaver township. They have a family of five children -- James M., Etta M., Calvin O., Laura B., and Cora E.
Baum, Joel, Kossuth p. o., Ashland, a farmer, was born in Schuylkill county on September 5, 1853, and was a son of Levi and Rebecca (Mowry) Baum, who settled in Ashland in 1857. They have four children living -- Joel, Milton, Alice D., and Ida. Joel now occupies a part of the farm on which his parents first settled, has cleared the portion which he occupies, and made all the improvements in buildings. His wife was Elizabeth, a daughter of Daniel and Teenie (Whitehill) Starr, of Ashland. Joel has a family of five children -- Daniel C., Teenie L. and Rebecca E. (twins), and Jennie.
Beals, Benjamin, Knox p. o., Beaver, was born in Lehigh county on February 15, 1833, and came with his parents, Jacob and Elizabeth (Bry) Beals, to Clarion county in 1841. Mr. Beals is a farmer and owns thirty-seven acres, and is also engaged in the oil producing business. He was married in March, 1864, to Mary M. Himes, a daughter of William Himes, of Lawrence county. They have two children living -- Edwin and Mary E.
Beals, Samuel, Knox p. o., Beaver, was born in Lehigh county on September 5, 183I, and came with his parents, Jacob and Elizabeth (Bry) Beals, to Clarion county in 1841. He is a farmer, and now owns and occupies a farm of five hundred and forty acres, part of which is oil producing. He was married on December 25, 1852, to Catherine C. Marsh, of Beaver township. They have had seven children -- Frank A, born November 8, 1853; Henrietta L., born April 10, 1858, now the wife of James Laughner; Emma E., born September 2, 1860, married John Adams; Hiram K., born December 3, 1862; Isabella F. A., born March 6, 1865, married Elmer Buckelow; Clara E., born July 24, 1868; Catherine A., born April 14, 1870. His second wife was Lizzie Leavy, to whom he was married on January 18, 1881. She was a daughter of Jacob and Lizzie (Mong) Leavy. They have had three children -- Clydie L., born September 13, 1881; Jacob W., born January 21, 1883; and Mabel I., born January 18, 1884.
Beatty, Dr. Smith Graves, Scotch Hill p. o., Farmington, the youngest of eleven children born to Absalom and Sarah Beatty, was born in Armstrong county, on December 23, 1854. His parents were farmers, but young Beatty had no inclination for that pursuit. He worked in stores, taught music and school, and finally at the age of twenty-four years came to commence the study of medicine with Dr. J. H. Smith, at Millville. He attended a course of lectures at the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Baltimore, and graduated honorably in the spring of 1882, and at once commenced the practice of medicine at Scotch Hill. Here he married Sadie E., a daughter of William Thompson. Doctor Beatty is a most successful practitioner, whose fame is rapidly spreading throughout the county. Both he and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church.
Beck, James, Knox p. o., Beaver, was born on October 25, 1817, in Armstrong county, Pa. He is a farmer, and now owns a farm of 260 acres. His parents were John and Susan (Schall) Beck, who were natives of Armstrong county, and came to Clarion county in 1831. James Beck was married on February 18, 1847, to Caroline Master, a daughter of George Master, of Berks county. They have eleven children -- Marietta (deceased), John F., George W., Charles (deceased), Lena F., William A., Edwin J., Alferetta, Lemuel L. (deceased), David S., and Calvin N. (deceased.)
Beck, Simon R., Knox p. o., Beaver, was born in Beaver township, Pa., on May 11, 1848. He is an oil-producer, and has been a school director. His parents were William and Catharine (Hank) Beck, natives of Clarion county. He was married on December 14, 1871, to Mary Donaldson, a daughter of John and Emaline (Ryant) Donaldson. They have one child -- Frank W.
Beer, Henry, Fisher p. o., Mill Creek, was born in Armstrong county,
on July 20, 1821. His father, Jacob Beer, was a carpenter by trade, and
when Blacks & Shippen's Furnace was in blast, he worked for them, doing
carpenter work for three years. His
wife's maiden name was Elizabeth Maccafoose, who was of German descent, her parents being both natives of Germany. Jacob and Elizabeth had a family of twelve children; two boys and one girl are dead -- William, George, and Susan. Those children now living are Jacob, Elizabeth, John, Henry, Martha, Christina, Samuel, Mary Ann, and Eve. Henry Beer was married in 1851, to Elizabeth Stroup. Their first child, Mary Ann, died while young. The rest of their children, four in number, are all living -- William L., Anna M., John, and Alvaretta J. Mr. Beer has been engaged in farming and lumbering. He has forty acres of farm land on which he now resides, much broken down in health. He enlisted on August 1, 1861, as a private in the War of the Rebellion ; was through the seven days' fight and other engagements, and was honorably discharged on account of disability, in October, 1862, for which he now receives a pension.
Beil, A. S., Alum Rock p. o., Richland, was born in New Hamburg, Mercer countv, on January 27, 1850, and came to Clarion county in 1882, and purchased about fifteen acres of what is known as Alum Rock, located on the Clarion River about one and a half miles from Richmond Station, on the P. and W. Railroad; is located in a fine grove, and is much sought after by picnic parties. There is a liquid oozing from the rocks which forms a crystal of very strong alum, hence the name. Mr. Beil was married on July 21, 1874, to Francis Snyder, of Mercer county. They have had three children -- Clyde A., Eva H., and Glenn A.
Bell, James, West Monterey p. o., Perry, was born in, Clarion county in 1834, and was married in 1853 to A. Davis, who died in 1859, leaving two children. In 1860 he married Sarah E. Bushey. They have had a family of six children, three of whom are now living. Mr. Bell is engaged in farming and lumbering, also saw-milling and boat-building.
Bell, Robert, West Freedom p. o., Perry, was born in Clarion county in 1816, and was married in 1841, to Christine Wilson, who was born in 1819, and died in 1852. They have had five children, two of whom are now living -- John W. and Melissa. In 1862 he married Mary E. Cobler, who was born in 1847. Mr. Bell worked as a carpenter and builder for twenty-five years, but of late he has been engaged in farming, and now owns thirty-seven acres.
Berlin, George A., Turkey City p. o., Richland, was born in Westmoreland county, Pa., on February 20, 1823, and came to this county with his parents, Frederick and Elizabeth (Ammant) Berlin, in 1822. He is a farmer, and owns 307 acres of land; sixteen wells were drilled on his farm, all of which were producers at one time, but four of which are now producers. He was married on November 27, 1845, to Leah Will, of Clarion county, Pa. They have had a family of nine children born to them -- Israel, Mary G., wife of R. G. Wilby; Elizabeth, wife of William H. Francisco; Catharine, wife of John Page; Emily, deceased, was the wife of J. R. Clark; Sarah, wife of Andrew Edinger; Leah A., wife of George Way; George, deceased; and Rachel A., wife of William Dunkle.
Berlin, John C., Fern p. o., Ashland, a hardware merchant, was born in Elk township, Pa., on May 2 7, 1859, and was a son of George N. and Susan (Cook) Berlin. He was married in February, 1884, to Wilda, a daughter of David and Maria (Davis) Oaks, of Rockland, Venango county, Pa. He embarked in his present hardware business at Fern City, Pa., April 1, 1886.
Berlin, Levi, Monroe p. o., Beaver, was born where he now resides on April 14, 1829. He is a farmer and owns seventy acres. His parents were Frederick and Elizabeth (Ammon) Berlin. He was married on July 4, 1878, to Christina Beal, of Venango county. They have had a family of five children -- Eli A., Emma A., Frederick B., George W., and Alberta.
Berlin Noah, Monroe p. o., Beaver, was born in Beaver township, Clarion county, Pa., on May 30, 1831, and died on February 1, 1884. He was a farmer, and at the time of his death owned a farm of seventy-three acres. He was a son of Frederick and Elizabeth (Ammond) Berlin. He was married on October 14, 1857, to Mary Conner, a daughter of Francis and Elizabeth (Boyer) Conner, of Richland, Pa. They have four children -- Elizabeth A., Catherine A., wife of George F. Exley; Esther L., and Francis C.
Best, George, Callensburg p. o., Licking, was a son of George and Elizabeth (Lanner) Best, and was born in Westmoreland county in 1817, and came to what is now Clarion county in 1818. He married Francis Nevil. They had a family of five children, three of whom are now living -- George N., Katie, and Elizabeth. His early life was passed on the farm. He built a flour and grist-mill on the Clarion River, but has now retired from active business life, and now resides on a farm of forty-seven acres. His father was born in 1786, and died in 1868, and his mother, who was born in 1793, died in 1875.
Best, George C., Barnes Corners p. o., Beaver, was born at what is now known as Best's Mills, on September 8, 1820. His grandfather, Henry Best, came from Greensburg, Westmoreland county, to what is now Beaver township, in the year 1804. In 1806 he built a grist-mill, the only one then in the county, and on the same spot where his grandson now runs a grist-mill. George C. was a son of Michael and Elizabeth (Sherry) Best. Michael was a soldier in the War of 1812. George C. was married on February 7, 1847, to Susannah Switzer, a daughter of Jacob and Susannah (Swab) Switzer, who were born in Germany. George C. has had a family of six children -- Samuel, Lavina (wife of Joel Best), Lizzie (wife of Eugene Turner), Amanda, Elie, and Emily.
Best, Godlieb, Church p. o., Beaver, was born in Beaver, Pa., on March 3, 1840. He is a farmer, and now owns and occupies a farm of 288 acres. His parents were John and Margaret (Small) Best. He was married on August 23, 1866, to Elizabeth E. Best, a daughter of Michael and Lucy Anna (Edinger) Best, of Beaver, Pa. They have six children now living -- Irvin W., Charles C., Francis E. A., Sarah L. F., Laura C., and Oliver U.
Best, Michael, Church p. o., Beaver, was born where he now resides, on February 13, 1815; is engaged in farming and oil producing, and owns 326 acres. His parents were William and Mary M. (Everhard) Best. Mr. Best came from Westmoreland county in 1811. Michael Best was married in December, 1839, to Lucy A. Edinger, a daughter of Andrew and Mary (Wagoner) Edinger, formerly of Lehigh county, who came to Clarion county, about 1834. Michael and Lucy, have eight children living -- William F., Josephine F., Uriah, David, Charles, Simon W., Samuel, and Elizabeth, wife of Godlieb Best.
Best, Simon W., Church p. o., Beaver, was born in Beaver township on May 24, 1854; is a farmer and oil producer, and owns sixty-seven acres. He has been constable and collector of the town. His parents were Michael and Louisiana (Edinger) Best, natives of this township. The family of Bests settled in this township as early as 1804. Simon W. was married on January 21, 1877, to Susie Fulk, a daughter of John and Mary E. (Wentling) Fulk, formerly of Berks county. They have had a family of four children -- Minnie L., George M. W., Orrin F., and Lillie L.
Black, George, Fern p. o., Ashland, a merchant and oil producer, was born in Elk township on October 26, 1831, and was a son of William and Sarah (Berlin) Black. His paternal grandfather, Frederick Black, and his maternal grandfather, George Berlin, were both pioneers of Clarion county. George Black is a merchant, and was brought up in Elk township. He married Margaret M. Martin, a daughter of Barnhart and Elizabeth (Harrold) Martin, of Ashland. They have had a family of six children -- Travilla F., Ida R., W. Mart, Lutellas F., John Q. W., and Jennie M. Mr. Black has been engaged in the oil producing business for five years, and in the mercantile for the past ten years, in Elk and Fern City. He was formerly engaged in farming.
Black, Paul, Valley p. o., Elk, is a farmer, and was born in Elk township on February 2, 1836, and was a son of William and Sarah (Berlin) Black. His paternal grandfather, Frederick Black, and his maternal grandfather, George Berlin, were both pioneers of Clarion county. William Black was a pioneer of Elk, where he cleared and improved a farm. His children were George, John R., Paul, Mary E., Fanny, Martha, and Maggie. Paul Black was married in 1863 to Martha J., a daughter of Hugh and Mary (Lucas) Magiffin, of Shippensville, They have had a family of eight children -- Willis, Edward, Ellia, Minnie, Harry, Burton, Myrtle, and Earl.
Black, Travilla F., Fern p. o., Ashland, is a merchant and liveryman, and was born in Elk township, Pa., on February 8, 1857. He was a son of George and Margaret M. (Martin) Black. He was married on June 30, 1881, to Susan, a daughter of Wesley and Caroline (Cramer) Oglesby, of Elk township. They have had one child -- Fred. Mr. Black embarked in the mercantile business in Fern City in 1886.
Blair, John R., Leatherwood p. o., New Bethlehem, was born in Armstrong county in 1810 and settled in Clarion county in 1824. He was a son of Alexander and Elizabeth (Reed) Blair, who were born in Franklin county, and settled in Clarion county in 1824. They had a family of eight children, three of whom are now living -- John R., Elizabeth, and Samuel. John R. Blair was married in 1839 to Elizabeth Miller, who died on October 4, 1885. They had a family of ten children, seven of whom are now living -- Rebecca J., Harrison, David, Samuel, Elizabeth, Lovina, and Nancy A. Mr. Blair in early life was engaged in lumber and timber shipping, and an expert river pilot, but is now retired. He built three large saw-mills, and the latter part of his business life he was engaged in farming.
Blatt, jr., Peter, East Brady, carriage, wagon and farm implement manufacturer, and having a general smithing and repair shop; was born in Prussia in 1848, and settled in Pittsburgh in 1849 with his parents, Peter and Barbara (Stuppy) Blatt. They had a family of eight children, seven sons are now living -- Valentine, Joseph, Peter, jr., Matthias, Henry, John, and August. They settled in Armstrong county, at Brady's Bend, in 1851. Peter, jr., was married in 1871 to May Truatwein, of Brady. They have had a family of six children -- Mary Emma, Agnes, Clara, Albert, Ida, and Philla Minnie. Peter became engaged in the business in 1871, upon his settling here. He is a prominent musician, a leader and instructor of the band. He is engaged in the sale of organs and pianos, and gives instruction on the same. He is also teacher of a string band.
Blatt, Valentine, East Brady, manufacturer of tin, copper and sheet-iron ware, dealer in shelf hardware, stoves and house furnishing goods, crockery, glassware, and all kinds of farming machinery, reapers, mowers, portable engines and threshers, was born in the village of Schiffweiler, Prussia, in 1844. He was a son of Peter and Barbara (Stuppy) Blatt, who, with their family, emigrated to Pittsburgh in 1849, and in 1851 settled at Brady's Bend. They have had a family of seven sons -- Valentine, Joseph, Peter, Matthias, Henrv, John, and August. The parents are now engaged in farming in Butler county. Valentine Blatt was married in 1867 to Elizabeth Fuchs, of Elk township, Clarion county. They have had a family of eleven children, eight of whom are now living -- William J., Mary, Joseph, George, Amalia, Cecelia, John, and Helen Dorothea. Valentine became engaged in his hardware business on settlement here in 1871, and the firm was then doing business under the name of V. Blatt & Brother. In 1886 Mr. Blatt became sole proprietor. He settled in East Brady, Pa., in 1871.
Bodenhorn, Martin Thomas, Frogtown p. o. Millville, was born in 1848, and was a son of Jacob and Elizabeth (Holdman) Bodenhorn, of Lebanon, Pa., who settled in Rose, Jefferson county, in 1835, and came to Redbank township in 1867. They had a family of eleven children, seven of whom are now living -- Mary, Jacob J., Elizabeth, Lydia A., Gideon H., Martin T., and Margaret M. Jacob was born in 1807 and died in 1879, and his wife Elizabeth was born in 1815. They were married in 1834. Martin T. was married in 1879 to Mary Stewart, who was born in 1856. They had a family of four children -- two died at an early age and two are now living -- Carrie Blanche, born in 1881, and Ruloff Ruloffson, born in 1883.
Booth, Nelson, Knox p. o., Edenburg, was born in Chester county on November 17, 1840, and came to Clarion county in 1877, is a lumber dealer and oil producer, and is now justice of the peace. His parents were George W. and Emily (Stevens) Booth. His wife was Sarah Betts, a daughter of John and Esther (Herb) Betts, of Schuylkill county, to whom he was married on February 12, 1869. They have had a family of five children -- Alpharata, Nelson H., Grace I., Howard A., and Maud E.
Bostaph, Andrew James, North Pine Grove p. o., Farmington, a son of Andrew and Catharine Bostaph, was born on December 16, 1842. His parents were among the early and prominent pioneers of the township, who endured the trials and hardships of pioneer life, and who were among its most respected families. At the age of twenty-three years Andrew started out in life in the lumber district and met with indifferent success at first, but by perseverance and tact he at last succeeded, and enjoys the fruits of a hard-earned fortune. At the age of twenty-eight years he married Mary A. Black. They had a family of seven children. In addition to his extensive real estate interests, Mr. Bostaph has for twelve years past conducted a hotel at North Pine Grove. In political life he is an ardent Democrat, and has been postmaster since 1873. The family are members of the Catholic Church.
Bostaph, Joseph, Vowinckle p. o., Farmington, the second child of Andrew and Catharine Bostaph, was born in the township of Farmington December 6, 1840. He was brought up and still lives on the old home farm, and has never left home for any considerable length of time. At the age of thirty-five years he married Margaret Davis. They have had a family of five children. His father gave him the old homestead farm, but left to him the care of a blind brother, and his aged mother. Upon the gift of the farm Joseph has somewhat enlarged, and is now in comfortable circumstances. He is a Democrat in politics, and has frequently held town offices. During boyhood he went to school but little, and improved the opportunities offered. He was raised under the teachings of the Catholic Church, but takes no active part in church affairs.
Bostaph, Samuel, St. Petersburg. p. o., Richland, was born in Richland township on October 30, 1845, and is now proprietor of the St. Petersburg Hotel. His parents were Daniel and Sarah (Frederick) Bostaph, who were of Prussian descent. Daniel came from Westmoreland county to Clarion in 1817, and died in 1881. Samuel was married on January 20, 1865, to Hannah Shoup, a daughter of David and Lavina (Gaughler) Shoup, of this town. They have had a family of six children -- William C., Alice (wife of J. Shingledecker, of St. Petersburg), Edward J., Harvey P., Cora E., and Fred.
Bowman, James Clinton, Newmansville p. o., Washington, was born in Farmington on January 31, 1847. He was the fifth child born to David and Ellen Bowman, an old and respected pioneer family. James's early business life was spent in the lumber woods of Forest county, and here he got his start in life. At the age of twenty-five years he married Elizabeth, a daughter of Daniel A. Walters. They have had three children. Mr. Bowman is a conscientious Christian gentleman, class leader, and local preacher of the Free Methodist Church at Newmansville, and is active in all that pertains to the welfare of the society. Since 1875 he has been engaged in the mercantile trade, and is now the leading merchant of Newmansville. From principle, Mr. Bowman is a strict prohibitionist.
Bowser, A. J., West Monterey p. o., Perry, was a son of Peter and Jane Bowser, and was born in Armstrong county in 1854. He was married in 1876 to Mary E. Kribbel, of Clarion county. They have had four children -- Edward M., Myrtie R., Charles, and Clyde. Mr. Bowser is engaged in farming and milling. His father, Peter, was born in 1815 and died in 1879, and his mother was born in 1821.
Boyd, P. W., New Bethlehem, a member of the firm of G. W. Arblaster & Co., was born near Rimersburg, on the old Thompson homestead, now the property of Alexander Bols. He was a son of Samuel and Mary Jane (Thompson) Boyd. Samuel M. in 1843 associated himself with J. M. Thompson and Charles D. Hatchison, under the style of Franklin Furnace Company, but owing to the unfavorable tariff legislation, and during the Polk administration the concern failed, Mr. Boyd then became book-keeper and manager of the Mahoning Iron Works of Armstrong county. Mr. Boyd's health failed in 1860, and in 1868 he settled on a farm near Rimersburg, which was the property of his wife. He died in 1868, at the age of forty-seven years, leaving a wife and nine children, eight of whom are now living. Their sons are W. H. Boyd, who now owns the old homestead; J. A. C., now engaged very extensively in the mercantile business in Uniontown, Fayette county; L. C., a member of the firm of L. H. Smith Woodenware Co. of Pittsburgh, also manufacturers of brooms, brushes, etc.; and P. W. Boyd, a member of the firm of G. W. Arblaster. Mrs. Mary Jane Boyd is still living at the age of sixty-five years.
Boyd, William, Fisher p. o., Mill Creek, a son of William and Mary (Laver) Boyd, was born in Armstrong county on October 25, 1813. He was married in 1840 to Mary McNaughton, who was born in 1824. They have had a family of twelve children -- Sarah C., Colon (deceased), Washington L., Daniel McC. (deceased), Hannah M., William A., Franklin P., Rosanna, Amanda A. (deceased), Matilda M., Stephen E., Rebecca N. (deceased). Mr. Boyd has been engaged in lumbering and farming the greater part of his life. He lives on the farm now owned by Frank P. Beck. His father was born in 1771 and died in 1821. His maternal grandfather, William Laver, served in the Revolutionary War.
Brenneman, J. W., Callensburg p. o., Licking, was a son of Christian and Maria (Smith) Brenneman, and was born in Clarion county in 1852. He was married in 1876 to Mary Davis, of Clarion county. They have had a family of four children -- Mabel, Adah (deceased), Rhoda, and Maud. His father, Christian, settled in what is now Clarion county, Pa., in 1810, and became engaged in the lumber and boat-building business, which business J. W. is now engaged in.
Brothers, Joseph M., Knox p. o., Beaver, was born in Mifflin county, Pa., on December 14, 1843, and is now engaged in the oil business. He is also councilman of Edenburg borough, and has been school director. He came to Clarion county, Pa., in 1876. His parents were Joseph and Catharine (Steele) Brothers, natives of Mifflin county, Pa. He was married on May 8, 1871, to Laura M. Barr, a daughter of James and Lavina (Kelley) Barr, of Strattanville, Clarion county, Pa., who were among the early settlers. They have a family of six children -- James S., George W., Joseph, William M., Laura M., and Clara E.
Butler, James Harvey, Tylersburg p. o., Farmington, the oldest of six children of Alphonso and Sarepta Butler, was born in Elk township on May 8, 1832. He was brought up on the farm, and at the age of twenty-one years went to Clarion River and became engaged in building coal boats. He married Sarah Cornish. They had a family of six children. For many years the family have lived in Farmington, near Tylersburg, on a nicely located and well appointed farm of one hundred acres. Mr. Butler is a breeder of thoroughbred Norman horses, and has some of the finest specimens found in Pennsylvania. Although not an active partisan, Mr. Butler is a staunch Republican, and is frequently called upon to hold town office.
Buzza, W. R., Knox p. o., Beaver, is a lumber and coal merchant, on
North Main street. He was born in Cornwall, England, on March 29, 1848,
and came to the United States in 1868, and settled in Clarion county in
1877. His parents were William and Mary A. (James) Buzza, natives of England.
W. R. Buzza was married on June 16, 1873 to Mary J. McFarlane, a daughter
of Duncan and Ann A. (Evans) McFarlane, of Liverpool, England. They have
had a family of six children -- Daniel Herbert, Richard Alfred, William
Malcom, Amy, Arthur Blaine, And Robert Duncan.