Rarer, A. J., Callensburg p. o., Licking, was a son of Daniel and Margaret (Slack) Rarer, and was born in Mifflin county, Pa., July 17, 1824. He was married in 1846 to Elizabeth McIntyre, who was born in Centre county, Pa., in 1827. They have had a family of eleven children -- Lawrence C. (died at the age of eight years), Mary Isabel (Payne), George E., Elizabeth W. (Betch), Sarah A. (Klingensmith), Nancy E. (Mays), Margaret (deceased), John C., Johanna, Henrietta M., and one who died in infancy. Mr. Rarer is a wagon-maker by trade, a business which he has followed all his life. He has held most all of the borough offices, and is now burgess, an office which he has held for three terms. His father, Daniel Rarer, was born in 1790 and died in 1862. He had a family of twelve children, eight of whom are now living.
One of the oldest families who settled in Clarion county was that of Christian and Susannah (Shafer) Rhodes, who came here about the year 1786. They had a family of ten children. Susannah died and Christian married Elizabeth Nulf, and they had three children, the second child being Abraham, who was married in 1839 to Jane Shaffner. They had a family of nine children, six of whom are now living -- Solomon C., Susannah, James, Levi, Martha V., and Mary V. (twins). Abraham was born in Limestone in 1818, and died on August 25, 1884. He was born and died on the old homestead farm. Jeremiah enlisted in 186i, and was wounded and died at the battle of Gettysburg. Solomon C. enlisted in the Fourteenth, and served three years. Levi was a son of Abraham and Jane Rhodes, and was married on February 6, 1879, to Sarah McKillip, a daughter of Archie McKillip. They have had four children -- Esther Jane, Otis Earl, Emmet C., and Lillian O. Levi now owns and occupies the old homestead farm of one hundred acres.
Rickenbrode, John M., Fryburg p. o., Washington, was born in what is now Clarion, formerly Venango county, Pa., November 21, 1824. His estimable wife, Barbara Kapp, was born on May 30, 1828. They were married April 20, 1848. Their children were E. G., Ellen H., Alice M., Rosa E., and Ida A. John M. Rickenbrode was brought up and always lived on a farm, and his life as a farmer has been remarkably successful. He commenced life a poor boy, working on the farm during season, cutting wood during the winter, and at the cobbler's bench during evenings. By earnest, patient toil, he has amassed a fortune. He is a prominent member of the Lutheran Church.
Rickenbrode, Samuel Davidson, Venus p. o., Washington, the youngest of the children of John and Sophie Rickenbrode, was born in Washington township, Pa., on May 27, 1845. Until he was sixteen years old he stayed at home on the farm. He then spent four years in the oil region, after which he went into the lumber woods of Michigan. In 1865 he returned to his home. This same year he married Callie M. Amsler. They have had a family of three children, only two of whom are now living. Mr. Rickenbrode is a substantial farmer, owning one hundred and forty-five acres known as the Solomon Dale farm. The family are earnest members of the Evangelical Association. In politics Mr. Rickenbrode is a Republican.
Rimer, David A., Rimersburg, a leading farmer of Rimersburg, Pa., was born in Northampton county, Pa., at Mount Bethel, in 1815. He was a son of Jacob and Elizabeth (Hilyard) Rimer, who came to Clarion county and settled in Toby in 1815. They had a family of three sons and one daughter. Jacob was a tailor by trade, and died at the age of seventy-eight years. After settling in Toby, they had five children, making a family of eight in all, four of whom are now living -- Christopher, David A., Susan, and Mary Ann. David was married in 1840 to Susan Newell, a daughter of Robert Newell. She died the same year that she was married. He then married for his second wife Mary Patton in 1854. They have had a family of eight children -- John T. C., Alva, Patton, Harry McWilliams, David E., Edward Sharard, Mary E., Maggie A. John T. C. was a graduate of Worcester College, and also was graduated from the Baltimore Medical College in 1880, and is practicing in Curllsville, Clarion county. David A. Rimer held the commission of major. He has filled many responsible positions, and has been guardian for several families, and is an active man in church enterprise and county affairs.
Royce, Charles N., Phillipston p. o., East Brady, was appointed superintendent of the Penn Green Line Car Shop and Transportation Company in 1874. He was born in Orwell, Addison county, Vermont, in 1847, and was a son of Nathan and Percis M. Royce. Nathan died in Clymer, N. Y., in November, 1878, leaving a widow who was born in 1813 and seven children. Charles N. was married in 1876 to Mamie Arnold, of Kittanning, Armstrong county. They have one son, Charles Arnold, born in 1878. Mr. Royce has served the town as justice of the peace for ten years, was a supervisor and a member of the school board.
Rutherford, George, Fisher p. o., Mill Creek, was born in Westmoreland county in 1829, and came to Clarion county in 1832. He was married in 1863 to Margaret Rifenbusick. They have had three children -- John G., William L., and James E. G. George has been assessor for a number of years, was elected justice of the peace in 1882, has also been a school director, and overseer of the poor. He is now engaged in farming. His father was born in Scotland, and came to America in 1825 and married Mary McMillen. His brother, John G., enlisted in One hundred and Forty-ninth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and was killed at the battle of the Wilderness.
Ryan, Thomas, Alum Rock p. o., Licking, a son of Patrick, who was born in Ireland in 1818, and married in 1845 to Margaret Clancy, and emigrated to America in 1848. They had a family of ten children, four of whom are now living -- Patrick (deceased), Michael (deceased), Bridget (deceased), John, Mary, Annie, Thomas, Catherine (deceased), Margaret (deceased), and one who died in infancy. Thomas Ryan is a young and enterprising farmer, and occupies a farm of twenty acres.
Scheffer, Rev. John A., Allentown p. o., Salem, was born in Beaver City, Clarion county, on June 17, 1846, and is a minister of the Lutheran Church, a graduate from Muhlenburg College, Allentown, in 1872. He was also graduated from the Lutheran Theological Seminary of Philadelphia in 1875. In 1872 he took the degree of A. B., and in 1875 received the degree of M. A. For nine years he was a missionary in Nova Scotia, and is now missionary pastor in Allentown. His parents were William and Percilla (Kribbs) Scheffer, of Salem township. His wife was S. E. Seibert, to whom he was married on June 5, 1883.
Scheffer, Samuel S., Lamartine p. o., Salem, was born in Salem township on December 2, 1849. He is a farmer, and owns a farm of fifty-six acres. His parents were William and Percilla (Kribbs) Scheffer, of Salem, who came to Clarion county in 1822. Samuel S. was married on December 7, 1876, to Olive A. De Turk, who was born on December 6, 1856, a daughter of John and Lydia (Rossman) De Turk, who came from Berks county about 1836. They have had three children -- Bernice A., born December 13, 1878; Emma D., born September 9, 1880; Orpah H., July 23, 1883.
Scheffer, William, Lamartine p. o., Salem, was born in the township of Hempfield on May 26, 1819. His grandfather, John Adam Scheffer, was a native of Germany, and was born in 1751, and died in 1840. He was a soldier in the Revolutionary War. His parents were John and Barbara (Best) Scheffer, who came to Clarion county in 1822. John died in 1863, at the age of seventy-nine years, and his wife, Barbara, died in 1874, at the age of eighty-three years. William was married on October 22, 1844, to Priscilla Kribbs, a daughter of Christian and Maria S. (Gudekunst) Kribbs. They have seven children now living -- Rev. John A., of Allentown, George E., Samuel S., Christian K., William M., Rev. Nathaniel, of Saxonburg, Butler county, Araminta C., wife of John L. Altman, of Lyons, Rice county, Kan.
Seigworth, Anthony L., Scotch Hill p. o., Farmington, was born in Pine Grove township, Venango county, Pa., on January 1, 1826. He was one of the children of John D. Seigworth, the pioneer who came there in 1817. Anthony was raised on a farm near Fryburg, where his early life was spent. At the age of twenty-two years he purchased an interest in the Licking Furnace, but misfortune overtook the business and the works were sold by a sheriff in 1850. Mr. Seigworth married Eliza Moore, who bore him ten children, seven of whom are living. After his unfortunate investment in the furnace Mr. Seigworth began farming, at which he has been fairly successful. Recently however he has engaged in the mercantile business at Scotch Hill, in company with other well-known gentlemen. Since the formation of the Republican party Mr. Seigworth has supported its nominees.
Seigwarth, George Mahle, Lickingsville p. o., Farmington, was born in Stark county, O., on August 27, 1827. Although not christened with a middle name, he has adopted the name of Mahle in honor of his mother's family surname. George M. Seigwarth is a direct descendant of the pioneer family of Seigwarth's who first settled in Washington township, Pa. His first business venture was in connection with the old Licking Furnace, and each of the several persons interested were financially broken. But George M., who was then a young man, took the property and succeeded in saving a part, at least, of his investment. By careful management he has acquired a competence, and made each of his children a handsome present in property. George M. Seigwarth married Rosina Bower. They have had ten children.
Seigwarth, John, Fryburg p. o., Washington, was one of the older children of George Seigwarth, who came to Washington in 1817, and was one of the original pioneer families. John married Rosina, a daughter of Christian Henlen, also a member of the first three families. The children born to this marriage were John, Katharine, Mary, Rosina, Elizabeth, Anthony L., Margaret, Jacob, David, Clara, and Nancy. Of these eleven children, Elizabeth, Anthony L., David, and Clara are the only ones now living. David married Mary E., a daughter of Justus Mahle. They had a family of seven children. David Seigwarth was raised on the farm, and his early training has made him one of the best farmers in the township. He is one of the leading members of the Lutheran Church.
Seigwarth, Solomon, Lickingsville p. o., Washington, was born on July 28, 1833, in this township, and was the son of John G. and Mary K. E. (Mahl) Seigwarth, a member of one of the first families of the town. The father engaged in farming and also worked at the iron furnace, where Solomon obtained his first knowledge in practical business life. Upon the early training he has thus got he has built and enlarged until he is to-day one of the most successful and wealthy of Washington's native sons. He was married in June, 1861, to Ann E. Deaner. They have had a family of six children. About 1864 Mr. Seigwarth became engaged in the mercantile business at Lickingsville, a business which he still carries on, besides large farm interests, the result of close application to business. He is superintendent of the Evangelist Association Sunday-school and one of the trustees of the society. He has also contributed largely toward defraying the expenses of building and maintaining the church. His father, John G., died in 1871.
Shanar, J. L., Knox p. o., Edenburg, was born in Rockland, Venango county, Pa., on October 13, 1846, and came to Clarion county in 1871. He is a dealer in jewelry, pianos, and organs, on Main street. His parents are Mathias and Jane (Stewart) Shanar, of Clarion county. J. L. Shanar was married on October 30, 1872, to Hannah J. Storey, a daughter of Alexander and Juliette (Campbell) Storey, of Petrolia, Butler county, Pa. They have one child -- Charles R. Shanar.
Shallenberger, F. L., Callensburg p. o., a son of John L. and Melinda (McConaughy) Shallenberger, was born in Westmoreland county, Pa., in 1855. In 1878 he settled with his father in Clarion county, and there became engaged as a clerk in a store. In 1881 he embarked in the mercantile business for himself and opened a general store at Callensburg under the firm name of W. A. Hindman & Co. He was married in 1882 to Ida M. Over, of Clarion county. They have had one child -- John O. Mr. Shallenberger has held the office of town treasurer, and is now councilman. His father, John L., was born in Westmoreland county, Pa., in 1829, and his mother was born in 1830.
Sheaffer, S. Taylor, Redbank, the superintendent of the Northwestern Coal and Iron Company, and the Fairmount Coal and Iron Company, and iron companies located in Redbank township, was born in Cumberland county in 1846, and was a son of George and Ann E. (Grissinger) Sheaffer. Ann E. was born in York county, and her husband in Cumberland county. He died in 1880 at the age of sixty-seven years, leaving a widow and one son -- S. Taylor. They had a family of three children. The father, one son, and one daughter died within a space of thirty days from a fever. S. Taylor Sheaffer was married in 1874 to Alice M. Fleming, a daughter of Wilson Fleming, of Boiling Springs, Cumberland county. They have had three children -- Frank B., Jessie A., and Virginia May. S. Taylor was reared on the farm and fitted for business life. From 1863 to 1870 he was engaged in teaching, and in the service of the government at Washington. In 1870 he became book-keeper, was then assistant manager, and in 1876 was made manager of the Antietam Iron Works near Sharpsburg, Md., and in 1881 was appointed chief book-keper [sic] of the Coleman estate, known as R. W. Coleman's Heirs & Co., at Cornwall, Lebanon county, and in 1882 transferred his interest to the superintendency of his present charge.
Sherry, John W., Church p. o., Beaver, was born where he now resides on April 3, 1826. He is a farmer and owns a farm of forty-two acres, and is also interested in the production of oil. He has been overseer of the poor of the town. His parents were William and Polly (Best) Sherry. The Best family settled here in 1804 and the Sherry family in 1806, both being early pioneer families in the county. John W. was married on June 15, 1848 to Hannah Huber, of Venango county. They have six children now living -- William H., Samuel, John F., Catharine, Christine, Elizabeth (now the wife of James Courson).
Sheatz, John, Shippensville p. o., Elk, is a farmer, and was born in Centre county on April 10, 1822, and was a son of Eli and Eva (Kahl) Sheatz, who settled in Elk in 1833, and cleared and improved the farm which is now occupied by John. Their children were John, Henry, Eli, Eve, Jacob, William, Samuel, and David. John now occupies the old homestead. He worked at the blacksmith trade for thirty-three years. He was married in 1843 to Margaret, a daughter of Major John and Christena (Hosterman) Camp, of Shippensville. They have had seven children -- Sapora, Emma, Curtis, Irben, Eldorado D., Lizzie S., and Celestia.
Shick, Valentine, West Millville p. o., Millville, was born in Northampton county, Pa., on February 13, 1807, and was a son of Christian and Margaret (Miller) Shick, of Northampton county, Pa., who were married in 1805. Margaret died in 1817. They had a family of four children, two of whom are now living -- Valentine and Christian. Christian married for his second wife Elizabeth Winebog. They had a family of three children, two of whom are now living -- Jacob and John. The parents settled in Redbank, Pa., in 1820, where they died. Valentine Shick was married in 1828 to Martha Hufman, who was born in 1810. She died in October, 1883. They had a family of eleven children, nine of whom are now living, all are married and have families. Four of his sons enlisted and served in the war.
Shindledecker, jr., Adam, West Millville p. o., Millville, was born in the town of Redbank on October 9, 1838, and was married on February 2, 1857, to Catharine Rader, who was born in Redbank on March 24, 1842. They have had eight children, seven of whom are now living -- Utilla (born in 1858), Sarah (born in 1860), Adam Ira (born in 1862). Eliza (born in 1866), John (born in 1868), Emma (born in 1870), Labana (born in 1873), and Cora (born in 1877). Catharine was a daughter of George Rader. Adam enlisted in Company C, Seventy-eighth P. V., on August 28, 1862, and was discharged in 1865, at the close of the war. He was wounded and now receives a pension. He was a son of Adam and Utilla (Fike) Shindledecker, who were born and married in Germany, and came to America in 1828, and settled in Redbank. Adam was born in 1807 and his wife in 1810. They had a family of nine sons and four daughters. Three sons enlisted and served in the late war. They were Adam, Valentine and John. Catharine was a daughter of George Rader, who died in February, 1859, and his wife in 1851. They left a family of eight children, four of whom are now living -- Catharine, Sarah, John and Isaac. Isaac enlisted in Company C, Seventy-eighth Regiment, and served four years, enlisting in August, 1861.
Shirey, William, Lamartine p. o., Salem, was born in Richland township, Pa., on August 23, 1833. He is a farmer, and owns and occupies a farm of eighty acres. His parents were Samuel and Sarah (Johnson) Shirey, who came from Berks county to Clarion county in 1833. William Shirey was married on April 30, 1857, to Susannah Wetzel, a daughter of Henry and Dolly (Wentling) Wetzel, who settled here from Berks county, Pa., in 1838. They have had a family of eight children born to them -- Samuel H., Aaron R., Emma A. (now the wife of Lewis Fillgrove), Sarah E., Clara S., Annie C., Luetta V., and Arminta M.
Shively, George W., Fem p. o., Ashland, is a farmer, and was born in Union county on November 15, 1819, and was a son of Christian and Sarah (Steese) Shively, who settled in Ashland in 1841. Their children, of whom five are now living, are George, Susan, Thomas, John, and Robert. His paternal grandfather, George Shively, was a pioneer of Union county, and a soldier in the Revolutionary War. George was married to Sarah Mong, a daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth (Miller) Mong, of Ashland. George and Sarah have had six children -- Milton, Loretta, Jacob, Benjamin W., Lincoln, and John. Mr. Shively is a prominent farmer, and a member of the German Baptist Church.
Shoemaker, George G., Knox p. o., Edenburg borough, Beaver, was born at McAllisterville, Juniata county, Pa., on March 25, 1856, and came to Clarion county, Pa., in 1876. He is a practicing physician and surgeon, and a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania. His parents are James S. and Mary A. (Giering) Shoemaker, of Lehigh county, Pa. He was married on March 23, 1879, to Mary C. Longnaker, a daughter of Solomon and Margaret (Shakely) Longnaker, of Salem, Pa. They have two children -- John A. and Robert J.
Shoup, Jonathan, West Freedom p. o., Perry, was born in Armstrong county in 1805, and has been twice married. His first wife was Miss Hagan. They had a family of nine children, five of whom are now living. He married for his second wife Sarah Dunkle. They have had four children; three are now living. Mr. Shoup in early years was interested in the lumber business, and cleared a large tract of land besides his present farm of one hundred and twenty acres.
Silvis, William H., New Bethlehem, was born in Red Bank township on July 27, 1838, and was a son of Conrad and Anna (Noll) Silvis. Anna was born in Armstrong county, and her husband Conrad was born in Westmoreland county in 1803, and died in December, 1876, leaving a widow and ten children -- Amos, Joseph M., Isaac, Jeremiah, Simon T., Daniel, Lydia, Eve, and Mary Anne. Four sons enlisted -- James, Joseph, William H., and Jeremiah. William enlisted in Company C, Seventy-eighth Pennsylvania Volunteers, in August, 1861, and served for three years; Jeremiah enlisted in the same company and served to the close of the war; Amos was in the same company and regiment, and Joseph was drafted in 1865. Conrad was a son of David Silvis, one of the first settlers from Westmoreland county. William H. Silvis commenced the business of manufacturing wagons in 1854, and opened his shop in 1865. He was married that same year (1865) to Mary C. Mohney, who was born on October 10, 1848, and was a daughter of Squire David and Elizabeth Mohney. William and Mary have had six children -- Alice R., Merritt A., Manola J., Heber B., Clyde M., and Blanche Clare.
Sloan, Porter M., Elk City p. o., Elk, is a farmer and was born on the farm where he now resides on August 9, 1838. He was a son of John and Margaret (Addleman) Sloan, who settled in Elk in 1819, chartered and improved the farm which is now owned and occupied by their son, Porter M. Their children were Andrew, Sarah A., Samuel, Eliza, Mahala, John H., Margaret J., and Porter M. Porter M. was married in 1869 to Priscilla Wedekind. They have had a family of four children -- Elgan S., Charles, Archie, and Regina. Priscilla was a daughter of Charles and Margaret (Hahn) Wedekind, of Elk township, Pa.
Smiley, A. W., Foxburg p. o., Richland, was born near Union City, Erie county, on July 16, 1843. He was superintendent of the Mutual Pipe Line, which was the first pipe line built in Clarion county, and is now buyer for the Standard Oil Company, with headquarters at Knox. He represented Clarion county in the Legislature, having been elected member of assembly on November 2, 1886. His parents are John and Rachel (Wilson) Smiley, of Erie county. He was married on October 30, 1866, to Ella Mead, a daughter of the Rev. O. L. and Ellen (Judson) Mead, of the Methodist Church of the Erie conference. A. W. has one child -- Roger M.
Smith Brothers, Knox p. o., Edenburg, are machinists and oil-tool manufacturers, and are also engaged in the oil producing business. They have business places at Edenburg, Rouseville, Venango county. A. J. is the manager at Edenburg. His parents were John and Mary (Gillespie) Smith, of Hamilton, Canada, and came from Canada to the United States and to Clarion county in 1870. A. J. was married on September 6, 1876, to Lillie Forster, a daughter of Mathew W. and Hannah R. (Butts) Forster, of Hamilton, Canada. He is now councilman of the borough.
Smith, S. K. R., West Freedom p. o., Perrv, the leading and enterprising merchant of West Freedom, was born in Clarion county in 1851, and worked in the lumber and ,oil business from the age of twelve years until 1880, when he embarked in the mercantile business. He was appointed postmaster in 1884, a position which he now occupies. He was married in 1874 to Anna M. McClure, of Clarion county. They had a family of six children -- M. J. Zora, W. H. McClure, Joseph Lowery, James Keller Lincoln, Barbara Violet, and Benjamin Delo. Mr. Smith's father, William M., was born in Butler county, Pa., in 1818, and settled in Clarion county in 1846. He was twice marred. His first wife was Miss Moore, and his second wife was Sarah Logue. They had a family of fourteen children, four of whom are now living.
Smith, Benjamin F., Rimersburg p. o., East Brady, proprietor and owner of the central livery and exchange stable at Rimersburg ; was born at East Windsor, Conn., on October 12, 1829, and was a son of Albert and Sarah Smith. Benjamin F. was married in 1852 to Harriet Lain, a daughter of James and Jane Lain. Benjamin F. and Harriet have had four children, two of whom are now living -- Frank and Hattie. Mr. Smith settled in Pennsylvania in 1868, coming to East Brady in 1870, where he established his present livery business in 1875.
Smith, Jacob Heck, Tylersburg p. o., Farmington, was born on April 5, 1826. He was the sixth child of the family of Jacob and Mary Smith, who came to this county soon after the year 1820. Jacob, sr., died in 1869, and his wife, Mary, the year following. The family came to Farmington in 1840. At the age of twenty-five years Jacob H. married Catharine Ruth, a daughter of Silas and Jane Everhart. There were no children born to this marriage, but they have adopted three children from other families. Jacob Smith is a self made man. He commenced life a poor boy, but by energy and thrift has acquired a competence. As a lumberman and farmer he has been successful. For six years he has been engaged in the mercantile business at Tylersburg. In politics Mr. Smith is a staunch Democrat.
Snively, John, Kosssuth p. o., Ashland, is a farmer, and was born in Germany on October 7, 1816. He was a son of Jacob and Catherine (Weber) Snively, who settled in Ashland in 1850, and cleared and improved a farm upon which they resided up to the time of their deaths. They had a family of six children -- John, Mary, Jacob, Elizabeth, Catharine, and Frederick. John was married to Catherine J., a daughter of Peter and Elizabeth Weber, of Allegheny county, Pa.
Snyder, D. A., Lamartine p. o., Salem, was born where he now resides on February 9, 1850; is a farmer and owns 100 acres. His parents were Marmon and Mary E. (Knight) Snyder. Mr. Snyder came from Clinton county about 1841,and died in 1871. Mrs. Snyder was born in this county. Clara Laughner was a daughter of Barney and Catharine (McCalmont) Laughner. D. A. and Clara have had a family of five children -- Edna M., Laura K., Inez M., Arthur B., and Perm E.
Snyder, J. G., Church p. o., Beaver, was born in Weltenberg, Germany, on March 10, 1837, and came to the United States and Clarion county in 1854. He enlisted on August 11, 1862, in Co. B, 83d Pennsylvania Volunteers, and served during the war and was discharged on July 10, 1865. He is engaged in farming, and owns fifty-seven acres; is also interested in the production of oil. His parents were John and Rachel (Stagmeyer) Snyder, of Germany, who came to this country in 1852. J. G. was married twice. His first wife was Mary M. Best, to whom he was married on October 18, 1861. They had a family of two children -- Emma and Mary R., now the wife of Jacob Kunche. His second wife was Florence I. Ferris, to whom he was married on May 18, 1878. They have had a family of three'children -- Nettic N., Eva L., Norah and John E. Florence was a daughter of Israel and Jane Ferrris.
Spencer, Dr. George W., Callensburg p. o., Licking, was a son of John
and Susan (Fogell) Spencer, and was born in Hampshire county, Pa.[sic],
in 1842; was brought up until reaching manhood in Harrrison county, W.
Va. He commenced the study of medicine in 1859, and was graduated from
the Eclectic College of Cincinnati in 1868, and from the Cincinnati College
of Medicine and Surgery in 1872, and from the medical department of the
University of Maryland, at Baltimore, in 1976, and after that settled in
Clarion county in 1865, some hundred dollars in debt, but is now estimated
to be worth some thirty thousand dollars, and owns three hundred acres
in Piney township, and fourteen lots in Callensburg. He was married in
1866 to Mary E. Wilson, a daughter of Robert M. Wilson. They have had one
child -- Leslie R., born in 1871.
Steiner, Daniel, Scotch Hill p. o. The family of John G. and Mary (Frey) Steiner, natives of Germany, came to Farmington, about the year 1830. Their children were Samuel, Henry, Daniel, Godfrey, John, Susan, Lida and Jacob, the last two of whom are now deceased. Daniel, the third child, was born in Farmington on October 19, 1838, and until reaching the age of sixteen years resided at home on the farm. He then worked out for ten years. At the age of twenty-five years he married Jane Rice, by whom he had ten children. Daniel Steiner has been a successful business man, having started life with no capital whatever. For several years he was engaged in the mercantile business at Scotch Hill, but recently sold his interest. Although not active in politics he is a consistent Republican. The family are members of the M. E. Church.
Stephenson, James B., East Brady, was a son of Daniel H. and R. H. Stephenson, and was born on January 29, 1844, at Rancocas, Burlington county, N. J., and was educated at Bellefontaine, O., and Philadelphia, Pa. He settled in Clarion county in 1870, and became engaged in the coal business as superintendent of the Pittsburgh Coal and Mining Company, and in 1874 went to Mahoning as superintendent for the Mahoning Coal Company, and remained in that capacity until 1879. During all this time he was a diligent student of the coal business in all its departments. The knowledge thus gained culminated in his forming the present firm of Stephenson & Mitchell, and developing the celebrated Pine Run mine, which is considered one of the best coal mines in western Pennsylvania, giving employment to one hundred and fifty men and producing 100,000 tons of coal annually. He was married in 1871 to Kate G. Cowell, of Doylestown. They have two children living, viz.: Willie C., and Harry L., aged respectively fourteen and seven years. He was elected burgess of East Brady in 188o. His mother died in 1883, leaving two children -- Mary C., and James B. His twin brother, John, having enlisted from Ohio in the 132d Regiment, died from fever while in the service of the army. His mother also left two children by a former marriage.
Sterner, John J., Monroeville p. o., Beaver, was born.in Monroeville on September 29, 1842. He enlisted in Co. F, 98th Pennsylvania Volunteers, and was discharged in June, 1865. He was a son of Henry and Sarah (Moyer) Sterner, who were early settlers in Pennsylvania. John J. was married on December 26, 1869, to Susan Beck, a daughter of John and Amanda (Powell) Beck, of Beaver township, Pa. They have five children now living -- Sarah A., Francis C., Charles E., Minnie L., Florence S.
Stitt, William, Toby p. o, Rimersburg, a general and leading farmer of Toby, Pa., was born in Toby in 1818. He was a son of James and Elizabeth (Anderson) Stitt. Elizabeth was born in Centre county, Pa., in 1791, and her husband, James, was born in Armstrong county, Pa., in 1787, and died in 1820, leaving a widow and five children, three of whom are now living -- Ada, William, and James. Elizabeth, the mother, died in 1871. Two of the children, John and Elizabeth, both died leaving families. James was drafted in the War of 1812-14, and after his death his widow drew a pension. William Stitt was married in 1884 to Elizabeth Pollock, who was born in Perry, Pa., in 1823. They had a family of eight children, three sons and five daughters. Elizabeth was a daughter of John and Addie (Corson) Anderson, who settled in this county in 1803. Elizabeth (Pollock) Stitt was a daughter of Thomas and Helen (Knox) Pollock. They had a family of seventeen children, eight of whom are now living.
Stopp, 'Squire William, Rimersburg p. o., was born in Northampton county in 1823, and was a son of Daniel and Catherine (Flick) Stopp, who settled in Madison, where Catharine died in 1832. They had a family of six children, four of whom are now living. Daniel was an early blacksmith, and served as a justice of the peace from 1847 until the time of his death in 1879. He was born on April 22, 1797. He retained a register of almanacs and valuable notes from 1832 to the time of his death. William was married in 1846 to Mary Benninger, of Madison. They had a family of six children -- David, James, Susan C., Norman, Margaret Jane, and George. William served as a justice from 1872 to 1877, and from 1877 to 1882, and was elected in 1882 for a term of five years. He was an early farmer and has been engaged in blacksmithing since 1848.
Stover, C. G. W., Callensburg p. o., Licking, was a son of Samuel and Sarah (Hawser) Stover, and was born in Venango county, on January 18, 1833, and came to Clarion county in 1844. He has been twice married. His first wife was Rebecca A. Cox, who died on May 11, 1873. They had a family of seven children, six of whom are living -- Warren C., Thomas E., Lottie M, George W., Nelson and Rebecca A. He was married the second time in February, 1875, to Mary E. Keister. They have had five children -- Grace L., Waldo, Samuel G., Mary G., and Maud D., all of whom are now living. Mr. Stover enlisted in August, 1861, in Company A, One Hundred and Third Pennsylvania Regiment, re-enlisted in 1864, was taken prisoner on April 20, 1864, at Plymouth, N. C.; was in Andersonville prison for almost nine months. He commenced the building of boats in 1869, and built the saw-mill which he now owns and runs in 1885 or 1886, on the Clarion River.
Strotrnan, Amos A., Valley p. o., Ashland, is a farmer and was born in Elk township, Pa, on March 1, 1852, and was a son of William and Lavina (Dahle) Strotman. He was reared in Elk, and settled in Ashland in 1878, and cleared and improved the farm which he now occupies. He was married in 1878 to Lizzie, a daughter of John and Catharine (Horn) Hogue, of Venango county. They have had two children -- Perry M., and Hattie E.
Strotman William, Valley p. o., Elk, is a farmer, and was born in Hanover, Germany, on December 22, 1823. He was a son of Conrad and Charlotte (Wherman) Strotman, who settled in Elk township in 1833, on what is now known as the Timmerman farm, where they died. They had two children, William and Louisa. William Strotman settled on the farm which he now occupies in 1846, and cleared and improved the same. He was married in 1845 to Lovina Dahle. They have had ten children, seven of whom are now living -- William, Henry, Amos, Jane, Mary A., Samuel and Edward. Lovina was a daughter of Jacob and Sarah Dahle.
Stroup, R. F., Fisher p. o., Mill Creek, one of the young and thrifty farmers of Mill Creek, and owning a farm of 100 acres, was born in Clarion county in 1860. He was married in 1884 to Annie L. Wing. They have had one child, Philip Shirly (deceased). His father, W. L. Stroup, was born in 1826, and married Sarah Jane Teats, who was born in 1831 W. L. Stroup enlisted in 1861 in Company H, One Hundred and Third Pennsylvania Volunteers, was taken prisoner at Plymouth, N. C., and died at Andersonville prison.
Summerville, John F., M. D., Monroe p. o., Beaver, was born in Porter township on January 17, 1857, and is now a practicing physician at Monroeville, and a graduate of the University of Michigan on June 30, 1881. His parents were J. A. and Laura (Sage) Summerville, formerly of Armstrong county. John F. was married on December 21, 1880, to Hannah J. Moore, a daughter of John and Hannah (Reed) Moore, of Ann Arbor, Mich. They have had two children -- Ford M. and Maud L.
Summerville, J. A., Catfish p. o., East Brady, was born near Kittanning, Armstrong county, in 1883 [sic], and was a son of John and Catharine (Ferguson) Summerville, and a grandson of James Summerville and Sarah Scott. The grandfather came from Ireland and settled in Fayette county where he married Sarah Scott. From there he moved west of the Allegheny River into Armstrong county in 1795, where he resided until the time of his death, which occurred in 1854. His wife died in 1827. Joseph A. was married in 1856 to Laura Sage, of Armstrong county. She died in 1876, leaving a family of six children -- John F., William J., Thompson B., Joel E., Mary A., Maggie C. He then married his second wife, Mary C. Scott, in 1877. They had five children --Viola, Annie L., Forrest B., Roy Scott, and Denny. Joseph A. settled in Clarion county in 1856, and commenced business life as a teacher. He fitted himself for a physician and then chose farming as an occupation, and is now engaged in that enterprise and surveying, and is a very prominent man in his county.
Switzer, Samuel, Knox p. o., Beaver, was born in Clarion county, Pa., where he now resides, on May 21, 1835. He is a farmer and now owns a farm of ninety acres. His parents were Jacob and Susannah (Swab) Switzer. Mr. Switzer came from Germany to the United States about 1801. Samuel Switzer was married in May, 1866, to Mary Johnson, a daughter of Peter and Christina (Hale) Johnson. They have had eight children -- Matilda, James E., Clara, Lissetta, Calvin, Florence E., Albert, and Elmer.
Sybert J., West Monterey p. o., Perry, was born in Armstrong county,
Pa., in 1833. He was married in 1856 to Mary J. Coe. They had a family
of eleven children -- Albert W., Oliver P., Daniel E., Edward M., Samuel
C., Harry A., Merton A., Oscar J., Florence M., Adella H., Inez Cora (who
died in infancy). He bought the Mineral Ridge store in October, 1883. He
is now one of the most successful business men of the borough, and was
appointed postmaster in 1885. His father, Sebastian Sybert, was was [sic]
born in 1800, and married Mary A. Truby, who was born in 1808. He was a
carpenter by trade, and died in 1866. Henry Sybert, his grandfather, was
a soldier in the War of 1812.