BETHEL ASSEMBLY OF GOD
The history of the Bethel Assembly of God dates back to the year of 1930, when an evangelistic effort was launched in a tent meeting on Highland avenue with Evangelist Dorothy L. Kunzman of Alhambra, Calif. This effort followed by two more campaigns with Evangelist Thelma Routte of Chillicothe, Ohio, and Rev. E.A. Lowmaster, and other speakers.
The group of full Gospel believers then moved into Edwards hall on Sample Street. The church was sent in order in April of 1933, with 23 charter members. Services were conducted there for several months with Rev. J. Earl Douglass serving as pastor. Then for lack of a satisfactory place in which to worship, members commuted to Assembly of God churches in the surrounding communities for some time. However, local interest was maintained by cottage prayer meetings.
In the year of 1940, a lot was purchased on West Street. The following year construction was begun on the building which houses both the church and the parsonage. The opening Sunday School and services were held on May 24, 1942, under the leadership of its then and present pastors. Marie Griffith and Arleene McQuillan. Bethel Assembly is a charter member of the General Council of Assemblies of God with headquarters in Springfield, Mo.
As reported in the Mountaineer Herald, 16 Aug 1954