MOTHER'S DAY Tribute
and Her Family
Elizabeth (Weaver) Myers is one of the three women credited with founding Memorial Day at Boalsburg, Pa., and the only one of the three attempting to honor a child, and thus we wish to honor her on Mother's Day with a big THANK YOU to mothers everywhere for their unselfish devotion to their children.
A daughter of Jacob Weaver (of whom no more details have been identified), Elizabeth was born 16-Jan-1818 in Pennsylvania and on 30-Oct-1838 married Joseph Myers and they were the parents of 13 children: Amos, John, Mary, Sarah C., William J., Daniel M., Wesley, J. Frederick, George, Calvin, Henry F. and Adaline as well as an unnamed child. Joseph Myers was born circa 1810 in Pennsylvania and died 19-Mar-1865. Elizabeth died 25-Apr-1892. They are both buried in the Boalsburg Cemetery. Here are some more details about the children:
- AMOS b. 9-Jun-1840, Pa., d. 3-Jul-1863, Gettysburg, Pa., buried Boalsburg Cem., Boalsburg, Pa.
- JOHN b. 22-Jan-1842, Pa., m. Rebecca Hoy, b. 2-Dec-1844, Shiloh, Pa., (daughter of Peter Hoy and Mary (???)) d. 9-Mar-1906, Boalsburg, Pa., buried: Boalsburg Cem., Boalsburg, Pa. John died 24-Jun-1884, Boalsburg, Pa., buried: Boalsburg Cem., Boalsburg, Pa. They had six children.
- MARY b. 28-Dec-1842, Pa., d. 10-Apr-1895.
- SARAH C. b. 14-Jul-1845, Pa., m. John Hummel. Sarah died 28-May-1894, Lillieville, Pa., buried: Lillieville, Pa.
- WILLIAM J. b. 18-Aug-1847, Pa., m. Apr-1874, Jennie Florinda Knode (daughter of Daniel P. Knode). William died 15-Dec-1936, Alexandria, Pa., buried: Alexandria, Pa. They had four children.
- DANIEL M. b. 1849, Pa., m. Emma Stover, b. 19-Apr-1853, Oak Hall, Pa., (daughter of Adam Stover and Sarah Musser) d. 26-Feb-1912, Boalsburg, Pa., buried: Boalsburg Cem., Boalsburg, Pa. They had four children.
- WESLEY b. 1852, Pa., m. Elizabeth (Lizzie) Heintzleman, b. 1854, Pa. They had two children.
- J. FREDERICK m. 24-Dec-1879, Mary Amelia Lutz, b. 10-Apr-1857, Buffalo Run Valley, Pa., (daughter of John Lutz and Margaret Martin) d. 4-Oct-1940, Pine Grove Mills, Pa. J. Frederick died 25-Sep-1925. They had four children.
- GEORGE d. 18-Oct-1855.
- CALVIN d. 12-Feb-1858.
- HENRY F m. (1) Laura Foster, m. (2)Jennie Rishel. Henry died 3-Oct-1941, Alexandria, Pa., buried Alexandria, Pa. They had 2 children.
- CHILD unnamed, d. in infancy.
- ADALINE b. 7-Jun-1860, Boalsburg, Pa., m. William Kline, d. 8-May-1888. Adaline died 23-Dec-1941, State College, Pa., buried Shiloh Cem., State College, Pa. They had three children.
In recent years, some of Elizabeth's grandchildren and great grandchildren, have been known to carry on the tradition of paying respects to their dear Uncle Amos.
For a look at all of the persons carrying the "Myers" surname in Centre County in 1890, see The MYERS Column. For listings of other prominent surnames, see under Centre Lines on the Centre Co., Pa., GenWeb site of the USGenWeb Project.