BELLEFONTE BOROUGH

Bellefonte was laid out in 1795, by James Dunlop and James Harris, on what was known as the "Griffeth Gibbon tract." The beautiful spring whence the town derived its name (belle--beautiful, fonte--fountain) was the attraction that indu ced Dunlop and Harris to select that particular location as the site of a town. The town was incorporated in March 1806. In March 1814 , another act of incorporation was passed repealing the former one. It included more territory than the first. Bellefonte was incorporated from Spring Township.

(Source: D.S. Maynard, Industries and Institutions of Centre County with Historical Sketches of Principal Villages, Bellefonte, Pa., 1877.)

BELLEFONTE BOROUGH CENSUS RECORDS

1890--3,946
1900--4,216
1910--4,145
1920--3,966
1930--4,804
1940--5,304
1950--5,651
1960--6,088
1970--6,828
1980--6,300
1990--6,358
2000--6,395

(SOURCE: U.S. Census of Population, Bureau of the Census, U.S. Department of Commerce.)

TAX ASSESSMENT RECORDS

Tax assessment records for Bellefonte Borough from 1808 forward can be found in the basement of the Centre County Library and Historical Museum in Bellefonte. Persons wishing to use these records must first sign the Guest Researcher register in the Pennsylvania Room.

This page is part of the Centre County PAGenWeb Project
Copyright 2001 by Robert L. Baker